Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2017, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools HD Distorted Audio Only On Left Side

Sorry to frustrate you Darryl! I thought I had been pretty clear with the steps I had taken.. let me try one more time! When I stated my experience, I was hoping to streamline the conversation towards a solution.. if it is better to start with the simple steps I'm happy to go back over what I have already tried!

So here is my full signal chain:

HD 16x16 Analogue I/O ->
DB25 TRS ->
Mackie 16 Channel Mixer ->
Amp ->
Speakers

What I have tried:

HD 16x16 Analogue I/O ->
DB25 TRS (I swapped out 3 different cables just to be sure) ->
Mackie 16 Channel Mixer (I have two mixers in my studio that I use here and I tried multiple inputs on both) ->
Headphones (I have tried several different pairs of headphones)

If I run a clean signal from any number of sources but let's just say my computer into the same inputs on either of the mixers I have no issues. This is true if I route through my amp and speakers or headphones.

I attempted to describe this part in enough detail earlier but I believe it is important: When the issue occurs, be it distortion, loss of frequencies, or complete loss of the channel, I can see it on the meter when I monitor that channel from the mixer. This must mean that the issue is happening before the mixer. Since I have ruled out the DB25 cables, and tried YYR123's suggestion of using the different output connections on the I/O, that's where I reached the conclusion from the last post.

I apologize again for not being clear enough! Is this additional information what you are looking for?

Thank you so much!

*edit* YYR123 when you said remove the DB25 shell were you referring to the cable itself or a component of the I/O? I swapped several different DB25 cables to rule that out as a potential issue, however, I have not attempted to do anything to the I/O
Old 09-07-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
If it's a 16x16 then did you swap the cards from Out 1-8 to the one from 8-16?

But apparently all 16 output stereo pairs show the exact same problem... so not what I would prioritize trying. swapping IO output boards sure would make sense if there was a difference in their outputs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2017, 02:22 PM

Default Pro Tools HD Distorted Audio Only On Left Side

So have you tried all the outputs on the output DB-25s and how *exactly*. I may be confused but I keep asking about this and you don't clarify.

Have you have tested anything other than two of the outputs (the default L/R monitor on output 1/2). One post it sounds like you might have and the others unclear. Again what exactly have you done.

If you have just been working with two physical I\O output on the HD IO then sure one of those may be faulty. But more "left" outputs across one or both DB25 output connectors are extremely unlikely to be faulty, not when the "right" outputs all work. So what phuysical IO have you actually checked? Which means you reassign the stereo outputs in your current Pro Tools session or do something like directly bung a signal generator on a track with that physical IO as output. You are telling us you know Pro Tools very well so I am assuming you know how to do stuff like this, but if not speak up.

Saying you checked with "headphones" or "swapped LR outputs" tells nobody anything useful. Describing something clearly means in enough detail that they know what you did. Enough that we could walk up to your gear and exactly reproduce what was connected to exactly what, what exact sockets/pins/cables.

How were headphones connected. I hope not to the damn mixer. Get that crap out of the signal chain all together. Completely disconnected and powered off.

What L/R did you swap where? You should be doing that in Pro Tools IO (to confirm it is not Pro Tools, but we know that) and at the DB25 output connector. Swapping anywhere else does not help diagnose the HD IO. I am looking for something as simple as snot and done quickly like powered monitors connected directly to the DB25 pins/spare connector with test clip leads or a quick hand made cable. Where you can check with a multimeter and know every connection is correct. And quickly test every individual output (or stereo pair and reversed pair) on both DB25 output connectors.

A signal generator and sine wave on the outputs and multimeter to check every output is also a good test. Takes ~10 minutes. To make it easy just prove the contacts on the back of a spare DB 25 connector plugged into a HD IO output DB25.

If you don't have things like a good multimeter and probes, clip leads, and spare DB-25 connectors get them....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-07-2017 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:39 PM

Updates?
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.