Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 01-22-2017, 05:08 PM

Default Slaving a Saffire Pro 40 to HD OMNI *HELP*

Hello again,

Trying to slave my Saffire Pro 40 preamp to the HD OMNI (which of course is my main).

This is what I've done so far:

In the Saffire MixControl:

Set Analog IN 1-8 -----> ADAT OUT 1-8

Set ADAT IN 1-8 -----> Line Out 1-8

Sample rate is set to 48K as per session and set my Saffire through Pro Tools as ADAT OUTPUT

Have Made the following cable connections:

SAFFIRE OPTICAL OUT --------> HD OMNI OPTICAL IN

HD OMNI OPTICAL OUT --------> SAFFIRE OPTICAL IN

Disconnected Firewire to Safire Pro 40 so it runs in 'Standalone Mode'.

Tried figuring out what to do in my I/O settings / Hardware settings......

In's 1/2 on HD OMNI set to Analog

In's 3-4, 5-6 & 7-8 are set as ADAT IN 1-2, 3-4, 5-6

Did that on both Hardware / I/O settings....

Plugged in Neumann TLM 103 Into Saffire Mic PRE 1 and applied 48V.

Turned up preamp, no signal. Monitor Pot on Saffire is also Maxed.

There is no LED signalling that the preamp is 'locked', however....

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? Would appreciate the help.

Thank you! :)

Ryan

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Old 01-22-2017, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Slaving a Saffire Pro 40 to HD OMNI *HELP*

Okay, The Saffire Pro 40 is now LOCKED because my optical connections weren't fully in, and I have signal to the preamp.

however, still no signal through pro tools.....

HELP! :)
Old 01-22-2017, 06:28 PM

What you were trying to do is simply not going to work. You cannot use both an HD I/O at the same time as another audio interface.

If the Focustite was a dedicated eight channel preamp only, that had ADAT I/O only then it would work no problem.

If you had one of these as an example what you're trying to do would work perfectly fine.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ClarettOcto

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 01-22-2017, 06:40 PM

You're right... well there goes $800.00.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:34 PM

I'm a bit lost as to what you are actually trying to do, or why Barry (who I'd normally not challenge what he posts ) posted what he did. The Saffire Pro 40 can be either an interface *or* an outboard ADAT preamp. If you are trying the later, and it sounds like you are, then sure it should work to drive ADAT into a Avid Omni.

The issue many folks run into there is the Omni only has a total of 8 inputs no matter what you are physically using, but I guess you know that since you are configuring the IO settings for the Omni. For intial playing you might just try to have the Omni use all 8 inputs from the ADAT.

If you are just using the preamps in the Saffire you really don't need optical cables running both ways. I expect you will not hear any difference than clocking the Saffire from the Omni or the Omni from the Saffire, I'd just start with what is simpler-clock the Omni from the Saffire.

The next most common confusion is sample rates. Start with the session at 48 kHz. The "native" clock rate of ADAT--which is what you are doing. Great. But make sure the Saffire Pro is set to that clock rate as well (otherwise I expect it will likely automatically use S/MUX output on the TOSLINK port).

Make sure you have the TOSLINK optical ports set to ADAT (not S/PDIF) In on the Omni and set to ADAT (not S/PDIF) out on the Saffire Pro 40. This is the next most likely cause of problems.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I'm a bit lost as to what you are actually trying to do, or why Barry (who I'd normally not challenge what he posts ) posted what he did. The Saffire Pro 40 can be either an interface *or* an outboard ADAT preamp. If you are trying the later, and it sounds like you are, then sure it should work to drive ADAT into a Avid Omni.

The issue many folks run into there is the Omni only has a total of 8 inputs no matter what you are physically using, but I guess you know that since you are configuring the IO settings for the Omni. For intial playing you might just try to have the Omni use all 8 inputs from the ADAT.

If you are just using the preamps in the Saffire you really don't need optical cables running both ways. I expect you will not hear any difference than clocking the Saffire from the Omni or the Omni from the Saffire, I'd just start with what is simpler-clock the Omni from the Saffire.

The next most common confusion is sample rates. Start with the session at 48 kHz. The "native" clock rate of ADAT--which is what you are doing. Great. But make sure the Saffire Pro is set to that clock rate as well (otherwise I expect it will likely automatically use S/MUX output on the TOSLINK port).

Make sure you have the TOSLINK optical ports set to ADAT (not S/PDIF) In on the Omni and set to ADAT (not S/PDIF) out on the Saffire Pro 40. This is the next most likely cause of problems.
Daryl are you sure about that? How would the Safire even know which of the possible digital outputs between ADAT (16 Possible Channels) and SPDIF to assign the Mic Preamps to?

EDIT:

I didn't realize that Focusrite gave the ability to use these units in what they call Standalone Mode. Very clever!

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-...tandalone-Mode

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 01-22-2017, 11:02 PM

Yep I'm sure
Old 01-22-2017, 11:26 PM

First connect the Focusrite into your computer using the Firewire. In the Saffire mixcontrol app, set all the output to the Adat I/O. Note that you can only be in 44.1 or 48 KHZ to have all 8 preamps working. Now in the safire mixcontrol click on the sync internal and change it to Sync external which should give you word clock on ADAT input. Save to the hardware under the file menu. Close the unit unplug the firewire. Now plugin the optical cables into both input and output of the pro 40 and the HD omni. You should now have access to the PRo 40 pre amps, but as I remember you will not be able to use more than 4 at the same time due to limitation in the HD omni.

I used to link my pro 40 to my ls56 using the optical cables (adat) so I know it works. You pro 40 basically works on stand alone mode, but as a clock slave.

//edit I should have read all the answers LOL

Wave-T.com
Old 01-23-2017, 09:49 AM

Just my 2 cents, I would sell the Saffire and get an 8 channel lightpipe preamp(keeping in mind that only 8 channels TOTAL will be available in your sessions with the OMNI as the only Digilink box). Which lightpipe preamp?
Focusrite OctoPre Mk II(same sound as the saffire)
Behringer ADA8200(the red one)(probably just as good but way less cash)
Midas XL48(really great and way better than the Focusrite stuff, which I also own)
New Focusrite OctoPre or Clarret(likely a good step up from Saffire)

Having said all that, if you grab a used 192 digital(pretty cheap these days), then you could add 8(or 16) inputs ABOVE the Omni's 8 total

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-23-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Yep I'm sure
Did you see my Edit?