Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2011, 03:18 PM
Avid

Default Re: $2100 to spend on new pro tools computer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixChurchStreet View Post
There's also the option of a 17" MBP. and get a second FireWire card for it. But can those dual cores really stand up to larger size sessions ?
How large is a 'larger session' for you?
Old 02-14-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
How large is a 'larger session' for you?
Forget the MBP question. Hah. I want to explore keeping the iMac for a sec. Could the 6085 errors be eliminated if the g-drive mini had a power supply instead of being bus powered?
Old 02-14-2011, 03:30 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixChurchStreet View Post
Forget the MBP question. Hah. I want to explore keeping the iMac for a sec. Could the 6085 errors be eliminated if the g-drive mini had a power supply instead of being bus powered?
Hmm. Possibly! There's a good chance that, if it was bus powered, that may be the problem. I would definitely try it (the power supply, that is) - you may not even need to change anything in your chain.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Hmm. Possibly! There's a good chance that, if it was bus powered, that may be the problem. I would definitely try it (the power supply, that is) - you may not even need to change anything in your chain.
Maybe I'll order one and find out. I really do like the iMac, but I need to be able to daisy chain.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:05 PM

My 2 cents: Save up and buy a refurb mac pro.

Refurb macs (when purchased directly from apple) are computers that are kicked off the QC line, and have extensive "human hands on time" to resolve issues (unlike the computers that pass QC which have no hands on time, I had an apple tech confirm this recently). I have purchased 3 refurb macs with no issues in the last ten years. All of these computers still work today. Period. They carry the same warranty as new macs when purchased.

I have had the usual "mac versus PC" conversations with a friend of mine over the years. he is a builder, too, a real PC guy. And, he has had about two to three PC towers in eleven years, I have had two mac towers. I have installed extra RAM , he has installed numerous video boards, mother boards, power supplies, upgrades, etc. That is his thing: he gets into building and fixing. I like turning a computer on and working....

The final cost end up being the same to my mind for both of us over the decade. And, while I use both platforms for a number years at my work, I would chose to use Protools only on a mac. Yes, I may spend more initially, but peace of mind comes with a computer that just plain works ( i am sure that this can be the case with Windows, it is a question of what you want in a computer experience). I have been running since version 6 without issues.

Buy a refurb, turn it on, and create with Protools.... have fun..... isn't this the point? making music? PT9 is great.

Tracked three songs with a Roland midi drum set, a 2005 macbook, and an Mbox yesterday with no issues...

-SteveB.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Refurb macs (when purchased directly from apple) are computers that are kicked off the QC line, and have extensive "human hands on time" to resolve issues (unlike the computers that pass QC which have no hands on time, I had an apple tech confirm this recently). I have purchased 3 refurb macs with no issues in the last ten years. All of these computers still work today. Period. They carry the same warranty as new macs when purchased.

I have had the usual "mac versus PC" conversations with a friend of mine over the years. he is a builder, too, a real PC guy. And, he has had about two to three PC towers in eleven years, I have had two mac towers. I have installed extra RAM , he has installed numerous video boards, mother boards, power supplies, upgrades, etc. That is his thing: he gets into building and fixing. I like turning a computer on and working....

The final cost end up being the same to my mind for both of us over the decade. And, while I use both platforms for a number years at my work, I would chose to use Protools only on a mac. Yes, I may spend more initially, but peace of mind comes with a computer that just plain works ( i am sure that this can be the case with Windows, it is a question of what you want in a computer experience). I have been running since version 6 without issues.

Buy a refurb, turn it on, and create with Protools.... have fun..... isn't this the point? making music? PT9 is great.

Tracked three songs with a Roland midi drum set, a 2005 macbook, and an Mbox yesterday with no issues...

-SteveB.
Thanks. That's sorta how I feel. I'm at the point in my life where I have much much less time for tinkering. (I have a 19 month old daughter. Bye bye leisure time).

I'm pretty sold on Mac since my experience with my MacBook Pro. I like what OSX brings to the table.

So now it's a.) puzzle out the buffer errors and daisy chain problems with my iMac. Or b.) just return it. Wash my hands of it and buy a MacBook pro and an internal drive for audio.

I like the iMac. I love the screen. But I don't like headaches especially with a Mac that's supposed to "just work".
Old 02-14-2011, 06:12 PM

Have you tried different cables? Firewire cables are generally extremely fragile cables. The connectors wear out on the m pretty easily.

FWIW I've been using 27 inch i7 imac for almost a year and a half with at least 1 FW drive(usually 2) plus my TC Electronic SK48 interface and never had a problem. I've had it wired with the drives first and also with the interface first.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 02-14-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
This is so true.... if your time is worth 50.00 bucks an hour, I can guarantee that you will spend way more than 20 hours more keeping the PC running smoothly.. WAY more. So there is your 1k difference.
PC's run great, but require more effort. Some folks don't mind spending the time, but I would rather be making music. I have ran PT on both, and unless you are a tinkerer... well think Italian cars versus Japanese..
Old 02-14-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
Have you tried different cables? Firewire cables are generally extremely fragile cables. The connectors wear out on the m pretty easily.

FWIW I've been using 27 inch i7 imac for almost a year and a half with at least 1 FW drive(usually 2) plus my TC Electronic SK48 interface and never had a problem. I've had it wired with the drives first and also with the interface first.
Are your drives bus powered or do they have their own AC power? This is the one thing I haven't done (just ordered the adapter). My drive is currently bus powered.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:40 AM

All of my drives have their own power supplies... I've never had luck with bus powering firewire drives, so I'm pretty sure that's your problem...

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?