Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 06-25-2019, 09:28 PM

Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

V4 actually.... Yeah lol you call them features..... more like standard DAW components/catch ups....

Like I said good luck to you. I’m not starting an argument with you.... if you like what S1 offers then go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiz View Post
What version was that V2? Have you used V4.5 recently? It is way closer to PT than you can think of. Nice try though...spend more time next time

Pro Tools development, is slower than watching grass grow.
Studio One evolves in a considerably fast pace. Look how many features they have added from V4.1 to V4.5 alone, 70 !
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/stu...0-new-features

When was the last time that Pro Tools gained more than 10 significant features (LOL) in a single release???

Do you wanna bet which one will catch up first?

Cheers!
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 06-25-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrekcor View Post
V4 actually.... Yeah lol you call them features..... more like standard DAW components/catch ups....
Avid called features the "seamless playback", "name tracks faster!!!!" (a feature that is NOT a standard DAW components/catch up, right??, LOL), "1000 Midi Tracks", holly cow, now we're talking!

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...xpert-tutorial

Quote:
Like I said good luck to you. I’m not starting an argument with you.... if you like what S1 offers then go for it.

Thank you my dear, it would be a pointless argument, we better spend our time in more creative ways!
Good luck to you too....needs much patience to "watch grass grow!" If you allow me, a small advice....better get some more renewal plans to extend your update and support plan, until 2030, just to be covered in case something goes off the rail!

Cheers!
Old 06-25-2019, 09:53 PM

I downloaded the Studio 1 demo this afternoon. I was just experimenting with simple routing setting up a session with nothing in it. I was seeing how much I could figure out without a tutorial.

It’s a interesting DAW. I like the plugin browser and drag and dropping plugins. I’m sure there are other things I’ll like. I’ve got 30 days to find out.

Not bad to get a crossgrade for $199. From what I understand it comes with Melodyne Essential. $400 will get you S1 and Logic X

After July 1 $400 will get you 2 years of the PT crap shoot. Who knows what the next few updates will bring a n PT.

I love working in PT I wouldn’t pay to renew if didn’t but a 100% increase for perpetual Vanilla is unacceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-25-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebee62 View Post
I downloaded the Studio 1 demo this afternoon. I was just experimenting with simple routing setting up a session with nothing in it. I was seeing how much I could figure out without a tutorial.

It’s a interesting DAW. I like the plugin browser and drag and dropping plugins. I’m sure there are other things I’ll like. I’ve got 30 days to find out.
Check this out too, Russ has done great job to help PT users adapt to S1 workflow easier. Worth the watch, if you have the time!
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/stu...%20pro%20tools

Cheers!
Old 06-25-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiz View Post
Check this out too, Russ has done great job to help PT users adapt to S1 workflow easier. Worth the watch, if you have the time!

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-26-2019, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebee62 View Post
I downloaded the Studio 1 demo this afternoon. I was just experimenting with simple routing setting up a session with nothing in it. I was seeing how much I could figure out without a tutorial
Shouldn’t be too hard the manual is only a lil over 300 pages.... an afternoons read... wonder how big it was before the new 70 features lol a pamphlet
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 06-26-2019, 04:36 AM

Quote:
I spent a considerable amount of time researching DAW’s including Studio One, I thought it was a real step backwards and reminded me of Cubasis on my iPad. It will be a while before it comes close to what PT is now and by then PT would have moved on.
My experience was quite the opposite. I've been demoing S1 4.5 for about a week now and I haven't once found anything that made me want to open Pro Tools again. They even have a setting that enables all of the Pro Tools shortcuts to work in S1!

I really like the routing and plugin browser. I'm liking the workflow better I think.

The big things for me is no I/O limit and the monitoring latency is soo much better. I've done some recording just monitoring thru the software and it works really well. Reminds me of my old TDM system.

All this and no heavy handed marketing. I'm probably going to do the crossgrade instead of reupping my PT support plan.
16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Patriot - Spark 256GB SSD System Drive
Patriot - Ignite 480GB SSD Work Drive
Hisense 43" 4K Display
Presonus Quantum
OS - Windows 10 Pro

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, Just pee on it and walk away.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsexton View Post
My experience was quite the opposite. I've been demoing S1 4.5 for about a week now and I haven't once found anything that made me want to open Pro Tools again. They even have a setting that enables all of the Pro Tools shortcuts to work in S1!

I really like the routing and plugin browser. I'm liking the workflow better I think.

The big things for me is no I/O limit and the monitoring latency is soo much better. I've done some recording just monitoring thru the software and it works really well. Reminds me of my old TDM system.

All this and no heavy handed marketing. I'm probably going to do the crossgrade instead of reupping my PT support plan.

I did the crossgrade last week and I feel the same. I’m impressed with the snappiness of S1. Its super quick. Pro Tools almost creaks compared to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2019, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nige108 View Post
I did the crossgrade last week and I feel the same. I’m impressed with the snappiness of S1. Its super quick. Pro Tools almost creaks compared to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might sound like i work for Presonous, but it is far from it, not even close TBH.
I am impressed by S1 as well. My first encounter with the software, was last year 2018, with v.3 where we had to work on a project for a well known producer that used S1 and we wanted to use the same platform. I really liked the workflow and the whole stability of the software and loading, closing and loading again projects, was fast, Pro Tools in comparison is like a snail. Also the whole application contains new code, supports modern frameworks and it is just 120Mb!!!

I still mix in Pro Tools, using my Artist mix surface though. The editing in S1 using Melodyne and Vocalign through ARA2 is just brilliant! Once you start using it, CMD+M for Melodyne and CMD+V for Vocalign, you can't go back to Pro Tools for the same tasks. Using Vocalign in Pro Tools with Audiosuite is so 90's...

Last but not least, the v.4 and now v.4.5 make even it more powerful and V.5 will bring much more stuff on the table. Good thing that Presonus is not greedy and will invest our money to the product!

Cheers!
Old 06-26-2019, 06:21 AM

I am still pretty unclear on a few basic questions which I don't think have been answered here. Any input on the following, anyone?

Is the $99 perpetual standard to subscription crossgrade an ongoing offer? Or does it expire at some point?
i.e. can I potentially take up this offer at a renewal date in the future? Or is it now or never?

Do we have an answer as to whether taking up the $99 sub offer would mean future renewals would also be at $99?
Obviously future price increases can't be ruled out, but is it $99 for one year only and then $299 thereafter as things stand? No clear statement about this as far as I can see..

Finally - has anyone actually taken the crossgrade offer? I can't see it as an option in my account.. Does it only appear when my support plan is expiring, or..?
Only options at the moment are renew support plan or go pay-monthly subscription at full price.

This is all fairly academic because I don't think I'm going to be giving up my perpetual license. But some clearer statements about it all would still be welcome.