Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 01-15-2020, 11:11 PM

Default Re: Sample Rounding Issue!!!!

Because of this issue I've now found out some other ways to get my MIDI compositions out of time.

The other night I went to carry out the simple task of cutting 4 bars from a section and adjusting the tempo. (Can't recall in what order)
I was like: "OK cool, this won't take long and I can start dinner right after."

So I carried out these two simple tasks then thought: I'd better check my Instrument tracks.
Sure enough, 75% of each and every Instrument track was altered.
So I had to scroll through the timeline and readjust each and every drum hit, flam, bass note, arpeggiated piano chord etc.
In fact, I had to do this throughout the whole project. Hours of extra time.

Trying to quantize by 1/64ths just quantized it a 64th off grid and any other value would mess up my 64th note flams.

So I just quantized drum piece by drum piece, clip by clip, section by section. But mostly by hand (lassoing groups of notes and dragging them back into time).
What should have been just a couple minutes of work turned into over an hour.
A lot of expletives to add to the mix that night.

Anyway, here's the link to the project results.
Both tracks composed, arranged (& de-arranged) note for note in the Industry Standard.
Should you feel like giving a courtesy listen for my (our) MIDI troubles.

https://soundcloud.com/rockexotic

Last edited by take77; 01-15-2020 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take77 View Post
Because of this issue I've now found out some other ways to get my MIDI compositions out of time.

The other night I went to carry out the simple task of cutting 4 bars from a section and adjusting the tempo. (Can't recall in what order)
I was like: "OK cool, this won't take long and I can start dinner right after."

So I carried out these two simple tasks then thought: I'd better check my Instrument tracks.
Sure enough, 75% of each and every Instrument track was altered.
So I had to scroll through the timeline and readjust each and every drum hit, flam, bass note, arpeggiated piano chord etc.
In fact, I had to do this throughout the whole project. Hours of extra time.

Trying to quantize by 1/64ths just quantized it a 64th off grid and any other value would mess up my 64th note flams.

So I just quantized drum piece by drum piece, clip by clip, section by section. But mostly by hand (lassoing groups of notes and dragging them back into time).
What should have been just a couple minutes of work turned into over an hour.
A lot of expletives to add to the mix that night.

Anyway, here's the link to the project results.
Both tracks composed, arranged (& de-arranged) note for note in the Industry Standard.
Should you feel like giving a courtesy listen for my (our) MIDI troubles.

https://soundcloud.com/rockexotic
I totally agree & feel your frustrations.

Yesterday early evening I was composing a track at 117bpm @48khz (in 2019.12) & I did not finish until after 4am because of trying to make arrangements took MANY hours longer than it should have. Pretty much every midi clip (whether I repeated or duplicated or alt + moused drag) would either not put the midi notes correctly on first beat of the bar on the replicated clip & I had to manually move them back or re-quantize plus the end of a perfect 8 bar clip would be either too long or too short at end of it. Just like you said, something that should have taken minutes took hours as every clip had to be zoomed in on & checked/rectified!

Ridiculous for this so called 'industry standard'!!!!
iMac 27" Late 2013 3.5Ghz i7 32GB Ram 3TB HDD, 1TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro, Movaje 10.14.6, Pro tools 2021.7, 2021.3 & 2020.12 installed. UAD Apollo 8 Quad & Satellite Quad, Reason 10.4.1 & Reason Suite 11.3.9, Logic Pro X 10.5.1 (need to upgrade to Catalina for LPX10.6), plugins & VI's by practically everyone. G-Tech Mini 1TB HDD, 3 x 1TB Glyph GT050Q, Lacie Rugged 500GB & several assorted drives.....lots & lots of hardware synths & outboard

https://soundcloud.com/2b3productions
Old 01-16-2020, 06:35 AM

Thanks for the reply foxes.
Yes. The clip lengths being altered was another issue.
As a wonderful time-saver (not), I was also clicking on every clip checking 8 bar clip lengths throughout the whole project.
Kept having to drag individual clip lengths out so everything was flush measure by measure.

All the cool colored clips are supposed to be like musical Legos snappin' together how the builder wants.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxes View Post
I totally agree & feel your frustrations.

Yesterday early evening I was composing a track at 117bpm @48khz (in 2019.12) & I did not finish until after 4am because of trying to make arrangements took MANY hours longer than it should have. Pretty much every midi clip (whether I repeated or duplicated or alt + moused drag) would either not put the midi notes correctly on first beat of the bar on the replicated clip & I had to manually move them back or re-quantize plus the end of a perfect 8 bar clip would be either too long or too short at end of it. Just like you said, something that should have taken minutes took hours as every clip had to be zoomed in on & checked/rectified!

Ridiculous for this so called 'industry standard'!!!!
I had this exact thing on Monday. Literally just 1 or 2 bar blocks that lost the first note at random points when either copying or duplicating. I don't know if it's something to do with the fact that I was also making quite drastic arrangement edits using "!"all group, so maybe it was getting confused between the "sample" based tracks and the loop based ones...
Old 01-16-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply foxes.
Yes. The clip lengths being altered was another issue.
As a wonderful time-saver (not), I was also clicking on every clip checking 8 bar clip lengths throughout the whole project.
Kept having to drag individual clip lengths out so everything was flush measure by measure.

All the cool colored clips are supposed to be like musical Legos snappin' together how the builder wants.
Me & you both take77

This is a VERY long standing, incredibly frustrating, time consuming & random bug.....it's like Avid have just ignored it!
iMac 27" Late 2013 3.5Ghz i7 32GB Ram 3TB HDD, 1TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro, Movaje 10.14.6, Pro tools 2021.7, 2021.3 & 2020.12 installed. UAD Apollo 8 Quad & Satellite Quad, Reason 10.4.1 & Reason Suite 11.3.9, Logic Pro X 10.5.1 (need to upgrade to Catalina for LPX10.6), plugins & VI's by practically everyone. G-Tech Mini 1TB HDD, 3 x 1TB Glyph GT050Q, Lacie Rugged 500GB & several assorted drives.....lots & lots of hardware synths & outboard

Old 01-16-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
I had this exact thing on Monday. Literally just 1 or 2 bar blocks that lost the first note at random points when either copying or duplicating. I don't know if it's something to do with the fact that I was also making quite drastic arrangement edits using "!"all group, so maybe it was getting confused between the "sample" based tracks and the loop based ones...
I really do not think it is anything to do with you using 'all group'. So many users are experiencing this bug for so long with just simple & complex arrangements. Thanks for sharing your issues with this too.

Old 01-16-2020, 11:19 AM

I created a case with AVID simply stating the duplication issue.
They responded by asking for a video so that they can recreate the process.
I don't have the means to create a video at this time.
Maybe someone else can in their case?

It stated in my case that Ctrl + D, Alt + drag & Copy & Paste are duplicating MIDI clips/notes out of time with the grid.
Pretty simply stated that I don't think a video is necessary.

Instead of a video I sent a link to this thread.
A lot of us have renewed our plans for a couple years now and would like to continue.
I'm willing to renew just so I can have a recent version that doesn't have this issue.

Last edited by take77; 01-16-2020 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
I created a case with AVID simply stating the duplication issue.
They responded by asking for a video so that they can recreate the process.
I don't have the means to create a video at this time.
Maybe someone else can in their case?

It stated in my case that Ctrl + D, Alt + drag & Copy & Paste are duplicating MIDI clips/notes out of time with the grid.
Pretty simply stated that I don't think a video is necessary.

Instead of a video I sent a link to this thread.
A lot of us have renewed our plans for a couple years now and would like to continue.
I'm willing to renew just so I can have a recent version that doesn't have this issue.
Take77, thanks for creating a support case & bringing it to the attention of Avid support. I do think because of how long this bug has been in PT & googling the ‘sample rounding’ issue shows many users from years back have been experiencing and reporting it, Avid are aware but unfortunately have chose to do not much of others things in PT.

Old 01-17-2020, 01:50 PM

Hopefully within the new Track Folders we can copy and paste a drum loop.

Now that the announcement of track folders will be the top thread, we can all just get each others numbers and get together for some sympathetic tea time.
Both hands wrapped around our cups with puppy dog eyes...as we express our concerns to one another; followed by hugs of assurance...

Last edited by take77; 01-17-2020 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:17 AM

We need that using PT