Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2016, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Mini Grand and Structure still a NO GO

Check the airmusictech site. I have the same issue. They seem to be taking the blame and looking for the answer. I also have an open ticket with AVID.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:06 PM

It's not just PT and AAX. For me the AU in Logic and the VST in DP have the same issue. This is on the Mac. Anyone seeing this on PC also? Don't have PC handy right now to check.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 12-02-2016, 02:26 PM

AAX VST and AU all working fine for me on Studio One and PT 12.5 but I must say I have the full AIR version and the PT bundle installed.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:59 PM

Here's the link to the thread on the AIR website - http://community.airmusictech.com/ai...y_button&reply

Now that there are people chiming in to say that the problem is popping up in Logic Pro X and Studio One as well, they finally seem to be taking some responsibility for fixing it, after basically having told me that it was Avid's problem to handle.
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB SSDs
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
LG 34" Ultra-Widescreen monitor
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey
Old 12-02-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion View Post
AAX VST and AU all working fine for me on Studio One and PT 12.5 but I must say I have the full AIR version and the PT bundle installed.
Same boat. All seem to be working fine here.
I also have the full AIR versions of the plugins and like you, I am also on Yosemite.

Pro Tools HD 2019.12 | HD Native PCIe & HD Native Thunderbolt | Lynx Aurora 16 HD | HD I/O | Digi 192 | 2010 Mac Pro 12 Core 3.46ghz | macOS Mojave 10.14.4 | 48 gigs RAM | Tascam DM3200 | Crane Song Avocet II | Antelope Isochrone OCX | Universal Audio Quad & Duo | Waves Mercury + Studio Classics v10 & Abbey Road Collection
Old 12-02-2016, 03:57 PM

Thanks for the link.

Ok then, what I am reading is that if I delete two "@Variant)" keys in both the MiniGrand and Structure plist files, this will be a temporary work around to get em to work correctly. BUT, if I shut down Pro Tools or the Mac, I'll have to repeat the process. Correct?

It looks as if Airmusictech has been able to determine the root cause, as this issue does not appear to be consistent across systems.

So hopefully we'll see a patch from them soon.

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2024.3.1)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2024.3.1)
|
M2 Max Mac Studio w/64GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Mac OS 14.4.1| (Main Rig) |
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X |

Old 12-06-2016, 08:22 PM

Default Re: Air Mini Grand: no "long" sound, just short notes...

thanks for this thread i thought it was something totally else other than a sierra issue saved me tons of time ...but can someone please get avid to release a fix or let us know progress ?
Old 12-09-2016, 10:21 PM

Ok, same problem with Mini Grand and Structure, short notes or bursts of sound and no sustain. After doing the .plist deletion or just editing and removing the following 2 keys mentioned above in Mini Grand:

<key>Setup.GlobalPreloadFactor</key>
<string>@Variant(</string>
and
<key>Setup.diskPriority</key>
<string>@Variant(</string>

I received mixed results with the normal sounds returning.

I then decided to reinstall the Air Instruments provided by Avid in my Pro Tools account.

After installation, again the sounds in Mini Grand were correct and normal and the plist file did not start out with the two strange keys until I saved and closed my session. Also, I noticed a strange behavior of the permissions for the mini grand plist file and also the structure plist file. Both files upon being installed initially were given permissions of:

Me (the user logged in) - Read & Write
staff - Read Only
everyone - Read Only

and that's when the sounds produced work correctly. Also the bad keys are not in the plist files. After using and closing the session, the plist files have these permissions:

everyone - No Access
and the staff group is gone completely!

The Boom and Xpand2 plist file permissions remain as installed and never change and of course, both Instruments work correctly. Also the .Big files all have the permissions as installed:

admin - Read & Write
everyone - Read & Write
(and never changes)

So, to me, and I'm not sure I'm correct, this seems to be a problem between the Air Instruments opening and closing procedure (the updating of the plist file) and the changing of the file permissions or a possible OS X Sierra handling of the file permissions. But I've never heard of the operating system changing file permissions on it's own without a request by a routine (program request).

Now, since most of the Pro Tools files I looked at all have the file permissions of group "everyone" and the group "staff" with at lest "Read" privileges, how can the com.airmusictech.Mini.Grand.plist file be accessed and read by pro tools with No Access Privileges? If it can't be accessed, how can it then know where the .big file is located?

I wish someone with a reliably and consistently working Mini Grand and Structure installation could provide us with a copy of their plist files to rule in or out the keys after they've been installed and written to a few times. Maybe it's just file permissions.

Well, that's my two cents worth!
Thanks All!

UPDATE: 12-10-2016 - Correcting the file permissions doesn't fix it either... Now I'm even more confused.

Last edited by drumcat; 12-10-2016 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftalive View Post
Worked for me - but only until I restarted the machine. Then it was right back to the clipped notes.

I guess there's an issue with v1.2.1 of Mini Grand being able to read the .big file under Sierra.
Read my post just above, loss of permissions for the .plist file! If it can't access and read the plist file, it won't know the location of the .big file!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftalive View Post
I wonder if/when we'll see the newer 1.2.7 version here at Avid (?)
I downloaded version 1.2.7 from AIR and installed Mini Grand, they give you 14 days free use and update your iLok key. No different. Does the same as version 1.2.1 chirped notes and all.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:20 AM

Default MiniGrand Permanent Workaround

Anyone with the Mini Grand short sound issue, I have the work around from AVID and it works for me.

The problem is, you need a file.
edit- go to http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/t...ting/PT-223601

(1) Navigate to /Users/(current username)/Library/Preferences and delete com.airmusictech.Mini Grand.plist
(2) RESTART the computer (important)
(3) take the zipped .plist attached to this email, unzip it, and put it into /Users/(current username)/Library/Preferences
(4) RESTART the computer again (important)
(5) Launch Pro Tools and test

(if Mini Grand states it can't find the .big file and you have to manually point to the location then the .plist will get modified and the fix will not work).