Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2014, 11:26 AM

Default Troubleshooting with Virtual Soundcheck - S3L and PT11 - no tracks imported in PT 11

I have activated ECX ethernet, everything is ok, in ProTools 11 / Peripherals / Venue the status is "connected" with Venue E3 Engine, in Venue S3L / Options / Interaction - Venue Link Status is "Connected to Pro Tools ...", so in one word everything seems to be fine. But it isn't
When I open Pro Tools / New Session / Create session from VENUE, a new blank session is created, containing the name of the show file from S3L, but without importing the tracks and names. Even if I go to "Import - Venue Channel Names as track names" nothing happens.

Could someone help us?

Thanks a lot!
Old 09-03-2014, 09:13 PM

Default Re: Troubleshooting with Virtual Soundcheck - S3L and PT11 - no tracks imported in PT

Hi Roly,

The ECx connection for the S3L is built into the AVB ethernet port, which is handy! Are you connecting via the AVB or over the ECx port? If you're using the AVB port (which you should be to get recording tracks) you may want to make sure the correct network address is selected in the "Peripherals" dialog by toggling between what you see available. I've also found it effective to just unplug anything in the S3L ECx port to ensure the AVB connection is what I'm dealing with. I also run the AVB to my computer via the Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter rather than the computer's ethernet port, which you may need to do to enable the AVB connection.

Also, make sure in the Audio Midi Setup app that you've engaged the AVB device in "Show Network Device Browser" (Command-3).

I've had great luck with the Venue Link with PT 11 and S3L so it should work out!

Thanks,
Jacob
Old 09-04-2014, 03:20 AM
Avid

Default Re: Troubleshooting with Virtual Soundcheck - S3L and PT11 - no tracks imported in PT

To clarify things a bit:

In FOH/Mix/SC48 systems, VENUE Link connection to ProTools was made through ECx Ethernet port on the rack. And it's the only Ethernet port available there.

In S3L system, ProTools is expected to be connected via one of AVB ports of the E3 engine (directly or through other devices), but NOT via ECx port. And AVB port is then used for both audio and VENUE Link. ECx port in E3 is only for ECx remote control and for nothing else.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:25 PM

On which Mac OS you are working?

And did u enable AVB as the Playback Engine?

And another thing - did u connect your Mac with the Surface and not the Engine? The manual says connect your MAC with the S3L Surface not the Engine!
Old 09-05-2014, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobFeinberg View Post
Hi Roly,

The ECx connection for the S3L is built into the AVB ethernet port, which is handy! Are you connecting via the AVB or over the ECx port? If you're using the AVB port (which you should be to get recording tracks) you may want to make sure the correct network address is selected in the "Peripherals" dialog by toggling between what you see available. I've also found it effective to just unplug anything in the S3L ECx port to ensure the AVB connection is what I'm dealing with. I also run the AVB to my computer via the Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter rather than the computer's ethernet port, which you may need to do to enable the AVB connection.

Also, make sure in the Audio Midi Setup app that you've engaged the AVB device in "Show Network Device Browser" (Command-3).

I've had great luck with the Venue Link with PT 11 and S3L so it should work out!

Thanks,
Jacob

Hello Jacob,

As U know, I have 3 AVB ports on S3L: 1 and 2 are connected to the stage racks and port 3 is connected to the MacBook Pro's ethernet port for audio connection.
Venue Link is done through S3L's ECX port to the thunderbolt port of the MacBook Pro. This means that, if I want to get Venue Link through AVB, I don't have another free port on S3L and I have to disconnect one Stage Rack avb cable.

Best regards.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentyn View Post
To clarify things a bit:

In FOH/Mix/SC48 systems, VENUE Link connection to ProTools was made through ECx Ethernet port on the rack. And it's the only Ethernet port available there.

In S3L system, ProTools is expected to be connected via one of AVB ports of the E3 engine (directly or through other devices), but NOT via ECx port. And AVB port is then used for both audio and VENUE Link. ECx port in E3 is only for ECx remote control and for nothing else.
Thanks Valentyn. I will try to do both audio and Venue Link one the same cable as soon I will come back to the rehearsal room :)

Best regards.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davoetta View Post
On which Mac OS you are working?

And did u enable AVB as the Playback Engine?

And another thing - did u connect your Mac with the Surface and not the Engine? The manual says connect your MAC with the S3L Surface not the Engine!

Hi Davoetta

Yes, AVB has been enabled as the Playback Engine.
And yes, I have connected my Mac with the S3L Surface, NOT the Engine.

Thanks a lot!
Old 09-05-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolybarabas View Post
Hello Jacob,

As U know, I have 3 AVB ports on S3L: 1 and 2 are connected to the stage racks and port 3 is connected to the MacBook Pro's ethernet port for audio connection.
Venue Link is done through S3L's ECX port to the thunderbolt port of the MacBook Pro. This means that, if I want to get Venue Link through AVB, I don't have another free port on S3L and I have to disconnect one Stage Rack avb cable.

Best regards.
Hi Roly,

With the three AVB ports on the E3 engine you should have one connected to the surface. So, in your situation you can do 2 ports to the stage racks (main and redundant lines) and the third to the S3 surface. The second port on the S3 surface would connect to your computer via ethernet/thunderbolt, that's all that needs to be connected to your laptop for audio and data.

Thanks,
Jacob
Old 09-05-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolybarabas View Post
Hi Davoetta

Yes, AVB has been enabled as the Playback Engine.
And yes, I have connected my Mac with the S3L Surface, NOT the Engine.

Thanks a lot!
What MAC OS are u on?

Tried to de-install Pt and re-install it?
Old 09-05-2014, 03:14 PM
Avid

make sure under Setups>Peripherals>VENUE that you have the correct advanced interface IP address selected in the pop-up menu at the bottom.

Your mac may have built-in ethernet, Wifi, and Thunderbolt network ports; Pro Tools doesn't necessarily know which one is correct. So it's possible the wrong connection has been selected. You need to pick the connection carrying the VENUE link data (same cable that carries the AVB audio as previously noted and it should begin with 169.xxx)