Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2018, 05:11 PM

Default 11R to Amp and Mic Recording

Having an issue finding a direct answer to the following scenario, below.

I'm running my guitar through the 11R then to my amp head to cabinet. I was curious if i would be able to simultaneously mic the amp cab back through the 11R.

Guitar -> 11R -> Amp Head -> Amp Cab -> Mic -> 11R -> PT

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

MG
Old 01-14-2018, 05:46 PM

Default Re: 11R to Amp and Mic Recording

Piece of cake. Just hook it up and go do it. The Eleven Rack as an interface all works independently of what the in-box rig processing is doing. So you can record a mic'ed cab at the same time you are driving it from the rig output. And you can record the dry guitar signal at the same time.

Why are you wanting to record an amp head and cab to start with? Just using the Eleven Rack as an effects processor? The Eleven Rack in-box amp, cab and mic simulation may be a lot better then trying to do it yourself, and a lot less hassle. be sure to compare them all. What amp head are you driving? If you are using an amp sim in the Eleven Rack, start by trying to go into the FX Loop return on the amp head if it has one. You will also likely want to start by turning off cab sim/resonance on the Eleven Rack, but since that is a global setting if you also want to track a full simulated rig what you record there will have no cab sim... but trivial to redo by reamping the dry track thought the Eleven Rack or Eleven Plugins.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-14-2018 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:55 PM

I feel and hear the 11R sounds better through the 4x12 V30 Egnater Tourmaster cab. It gives me "real world" options to go along with everything else the 11R has inside.

Thanks for the help! You all rock! \m/
Old 01-14-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellomanGuitars View Post
I feel and hear the 11R sounds better through the 4x12 V30 Egnater Tourmaster cab. It gives me "real world" options to go along with everything else the 11R has inside.

Thanks for the help! You all rock! \m/
Yes but to be clear that is why you want to monitor through your amp/cab... the sound recorded is a different beast. Just be thinking about the difference between the sound in room and what the mic is recording... for that the Eleven Rack rig gives very impressive results. Anyhow its fun to do the experiment and compare. It's also very worthwhile playing with speaker breakup settings in the Eleven Rack, lots of goodness there.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:03 AM

11R has a built-in 4x12" V30 cab and many mics. I think this will give you as good, or better, results than micing your own cab (except maybe if you have an acoustic threaten room and good studio skills).
I agree with Darryl that you should spend your time with builtin cabs and mics.
I was using a 4x12" cab and tube poweramp until I spend that time and now I use exclusively builtin cabs and mics, live and in the studio. Way easier also to only lug a 2 space rack case and pluging only an XLR cable in the mixer