Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > The Drum Room

Old 12-10-2014, 07:43 AM

Default Roland TD-20 Kit not showing in Pro Tools

I have tried everything. It's not showing up in the midi-studio, Input devices, nothing and I've got it connected both thru the midi cord and using the master out left and right connects. I can hear the kit thru the master outs when in record mode but I can't get it to record the midi data and the unit itself just is no where in the Pro Tools set-up. I am using the 003 with Pro tools 8, Glyph 500g hard drive and the Roland TDW-20 Expanded Sound module. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 12-10-2014, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Roland TD-20 Kit not showing in Pro Tools

So you have a MIDI cable going from the Roland MIDI OUT to the 003 MIDI IN? Open Pro Tools and go to Setup>Midi>Midi Studio. Create a new "instrument" and name it Roland kit(or whatever you like). Skip the brand and model as those are not required. Select the 003 MIDI input as the input path or source. Leave all channels in blue(unless you have a reason NOT to). Select a MIDI output(one of the 003 MIDI outs) only if you want to send midi BACK to the Roland. That SHOULD get you midi going IN to Pro Tools(on either a MIDI track or an Instrument track).

To get audio, connect 2 cables from the Roland MAIN outs to a pair of quarter inch inputs of your interface(I would start with 5&6 and set the level switch on the 003 to -10. Assuming you are trying to bring the Roland audio into a stereo track, you MIGHT need to go into Setup>IO>Input tab and add a stereo path(use the Add New Path button) and click the matrix(the grid and dots) so that 5&6 show L and R corresponding to your new input path(and you can double-click on the path name and rename it to Roland Kit or similar). My preference(in the Preferences menu>MIDI tab) is to set the default thru instrument to NONE. Go to the Options menu and check Midi Thru. You will need to put your MIDI or Instrument track into record-ready to "see" midi input showing. I used a TD-10 kit for years thru my 003, with Superior Drummer, EZDrummer and Addictive Drums, and it worked great

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-16-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
So you have a MIDI cable going from the Roland MIDI OUT to the 003 MIDI IN? Open Pro Tools and go to Setup>Midi>Midi Studio. Create a new "instrument" and name it Roland kit(or whatever you like). Skip the brand and model as those are not required. Select the 003 MIDI input as the input path or source. Leave all channels in blue(unless you have a reason NOT to). Select a MIDI output(one of the 003 MIDI outs) only if you want to send midi BACK to the Roland. That SHOULD get you midi going IN to Pro Tools(on either a MIDI track or an Instrument track).

To get audio, connect 2 cables from the Roland MAIN outs to a pair of quarter inch inputs of your interface(I would start with 5&6 and set the level switch on the 003 to -10. Assuming you are trying to bring the Roland audio into a stereo track, you MIGHT need to go into Setup>IO>Input tab and add a stereo path(use the Add New Path button) and click the matrix(the grid and dots) so that 5&6 show L and R corresponding to your new input path(and you can double-click on the path name and rename it to Roland Kit or similar). My preference(in the Preferences menu>MIDI tab) is to set the default thru instrument to NONE. Go to the Options menu and check Midi Thru. You will need to put your MIDI or Instrument track into record-ready to "see" midi input showing. I used a TD-10 kit for years thru my 003, with Superior Drummer, EZDrummer and Addictive Drums, and it worked great
thats a quality post, brad be grateful
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post

In addition to this don't forget to set things up in OSX audio/MIDI setup as well. I do something similar with my Yamaha DTXM12 hardware and 11 Rack. And don't forget to have everything talking on the same MIDI channel as well.

QAPLA!
Old 12-23-2014, 04:06 PM

Did Brad fall off the edge of the planet? Is it working? If not, post some details on your system(as of now we don't even know if you run Mac or PC)

Old 12-23-2014, 04:30 PM

Default Roland TD-20 Kit not showing in Pro Tools

Hit and run posters, I had one once from Taylor....
Man I think I kept posting in the thread hoping he would come back for more than 6months

Old 12-23-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Hit and run posters, I had one once from Taylor....
Man I think I kept posting in the thread hoping he would come back for more than 6months
Those drive me nuts; you don't know if the advice you gave worked or not. Then again I think that this happens maybe because they figured out the problem on their own and it turned out to be pilot error

QAPLA!
Old 12-23-2014, 05:06 PM

Yeah that's true, most people never get on the forum unless they have something that's not working

What would I do with all my free time if I stopped posting?

I always seem to check the site when I'm doing real-time bounce

Old 04-16-2016, 02:24 PM

I just read ALL of your replies to my only other post concerning my Roland TD-20 and I have to say....I would LOVE an opportunity to hang, have a beer or just visit with all of you one day. I was laughing my ass off....calling me a "hit and run poster" and all that! First, I am truly sorry for not returning to fill you guys in and I promise I will never make that mistake again!

You just did such excellent work. Got me totally up and running and I was nose down in the studio! THANK AGAIN and is there ever a 'get together' of you guys?

Brad Bristow
678-472-1619
Old 04-17-2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradBristow View Post
I just read ALL of your replies to my only other post concerning my Roland TD-20 and I have to say....I would LOVE an opportunity to hang, have a beer or just visit with all of you one day. I was laughing my ass off....calling me a "hit and run poster" and all that! First, I am truly sorry for not returning to fill you guys in and I promise I will never make that mistake again!

You just did such excellent work. Got me totally up and running and I was nose down in the studio! THANK AGAIN and is there ever a 'get together' of you guys?

Brad Bristow
678-472-1619
Glad to hear