Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 04-26-2007, 12:20 PM

Default ANYONE USING ROCSTOR DRIVES?

http://www.rocstor.com/index.cfm?fus...spRocPro800AVk
Old 04-26-2007, 12:27 PM

Default Re: ANYONE USING ROCSTOR DRIVES?

http://www.topmicrousa.com/accessori...-gear-box.html

Just get one of these and put your own drive in it. You can always put another one in there that's bigger. I did three of these and put Seagate drives in 'em (takes two seconds to just plug 'em in) - cost me $180 total to do a 400 gig.

Don't waste your money!

Metal Gear Box - $40 on Ebay, 400 Gig Seagate $130 on Ebay - very very very fast and very very stylish and very very cost efficient.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:02 PM

Yeah, except those Metal Gear boxes don't have the Oxford911 chipset which is needed for PT compatibility, at least the 3500SEAP doesn't, I ended up with one somehow and the chipset definitely isn't Oxford. Not to mention it's very flimsy and extremely noisy as it has open vents all around the side of the enclosure.

You can get 400gb FW400 external enclosures from OWC for $165 that have the supported Oxford chipset, plus you have a warranty and an easy return route if you ever have problems.

LaCie drives are also very popular and have the correct chipset, but I'm not a big fan as they're also noisy and get hot very quickly. There's many many other threads about drive recommendations in the archives too, so a quick search will yeild you all kinds of info. Glyph is another option albeit a more pricey one. As for your Rocstor drives, they do have the Oxford chipset so it should be fine, so if you find one at a price you like go for it.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:04 PM

uh huh,

do the specs of those enclosures match the rocstor ones?

i am specifically concerned about builtin power supply.

i have about four hundred drives that i've built with different types of enclosures.

i am SICK of crappy external power supplies.

need to buy a glyph, avastor or rocstor.

please, any ifo from users of these drives?

thanks
Old 04-26-2007, 01:11 PM

Oh sorry. Like the other poster because of your limited initial thread I assumed you were looking for a drive recommendation and just stumbled across that one brand.

One of my clients has a Rocstor, although she's got in on a Gigastudio PC as a sample drive so we haven't ever tried it on a Mac.

It's very quiet, but the whole enclosure gets hot as hell, I guess it dissipates heat directly off the enclosure as opposed to drives with external power supplies where just the power brick gets hot, so it's literally burn-your-finger hot after it's been in use all day - and try working anywhere near it and you'll feel the heat radiating from it which isn't the greatest. It's been reliable peformance-wise despite the immense heat though, but I definitely prefer the normal 'Ice' enclosure types with external power bricks myself.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Yeah, except those Metal Gear boxes don't have the Oxford911 chipset which is needed for PT compatibility, at least the 3500SEAP doesn't, I ended up with one somehow and the chipset definitely isn't Oxford. Not to mention it's very flimsy and extremely noisy as it has open vents all around the side of the enclosure.

You can get 400gb FW400 external enclosures from OWC for $165 that have the supported Oxford chipset, plus you have a warranty and an easy return route if you ever have problems.

LaCie drives are also very popular and have the correct chipset, but I'm not a big fan as they're also noisy and get hot very quickly. There's many many other threads about drive recommendations in the archives too, so a quick search will yeild you all kinds of info. Glyph is another option albeit a more pricey one. As for your Rocstor drives, they do have the Oxford chipset so it should be fine, so if you find one at a price you like go for it.
Hey Slim, is that a mac specific thing (the oxford chip set)?

I have zero compatibility issues, the black box I have is very sturdy and vented. Our whole IT department uses them. Anyway, just my recommendation. On the PC, a hard drive is a hard drive as long as it is fast enough - at least 7200 rpm.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:21 PM

I know a few people that have been using the Rocstor drive with no complaints

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

PT11 System Requirements link http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/C...m-Requirements

Thank you,

Craig
Old 04-26-2007, 07:53 PM

I use two of them all the time. Built solid, and compact. I love the fact that the power supply is integrated, and they come with travel cases. They're great drives.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:10 PM

GREAT !

thanks you guys for the feedback.

i ordered my Rockstor today!

looking forward to getting it

because, my lacie needs to go back to the manufacturer to be fixed (only 6 months old!)
Old 04-26-2007, 08:16 PM

Find out which drive they use in their enclosure. Remember, they only make the housing, not the drive.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.