Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 12-31-2015, 10:32 AM

Default Pro Tools HD 12 HEAT - Misunderstanding

Let's talk HEAT.

Avid (once again) is unclear and misrepresenting the inclusion of HEAT with Pro Tools HD. Apparently (and I've learned the hard way), HEAT is ONLY included with HDX systemsNOT my 16x16 HD Native system.

Having just spent $599 to upgrade, and now learning that HEAT doesn't come with HD… I was told by Sweet Water you need to have an HDX system to get HEAT included!!!

TOTAL B.S. and contrary to what my Sweet Water rep had been telling me. My sales engineer had been selling me on the upgrade (in numerous phone conversations) telling me "and now you get HEAT with Pro Tools HD" - only to learn today that's completely wrong information!

Now I am in the process of un-winding this deal. Because I bought the wrong upgrade! By the way - there is a process for that, and I've started it with Avid.

But I can not believe that Avid couldn't have made a clear distinction to this fact. So I wouldn't be in this position now… even MORE PISSED at Avid than before.

Just hope this post makes the issue clearer to anyone else under that same impression.

Really, you give HEAT to HDX users, but not HD users? I'm feeling like a second class citizen again. I am done with Avid!

And you have no idea of how HOT this HEAT issue has made me now!!!

Last edited by LA-3A; 12-31-2015 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Updated info
Old 12-31-2015, 11:09 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools HD 12 HEAT - Avid Misrepresentation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-3A View Post
TOTAL B.S. and contrary to what my Sweet Water rep had been telling me. My sales engineer had been selling me on the upgrade (in numerous phone conversations)

This has happened to me in the past as well, Sweetwater's people saying one thing , which was contrary to the truth according to Avid.

And I have never heard of getting heat for free with HDX.

And yes heat works great with HDN. Even with third-party hardware from what I'm told
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:10 AM

Isn't Heat included with Protools HD 12.2+ now? An not tied to HDX hardware ant more? Someone was saying just that in another thread...

Home/mobile: Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Focusrite Red 8Pre / Protools HD Native 2018.10 Ultimate
Old 12-31-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Isn't Heat included with Protools HD 12.2+ now? An not tied to HDX hardware ant more? Someone was saying just that in another thread...
That was my point and impression… that HEAT was included with PT HD 12.2+ software. Nope… that is NOT the case.

Also my first post is a little off… HEAT does come with PT HDX systems, without having to buy it separately. It will work with HD Native systems… but not included in the software upgrade (even though you see it go flying buy on splash window - upon first launch).

Glad to see others were under this same impression... that it was now included with PT HD… but it's not. It's included only if you have HDX hardware.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:30 AM

Heat is working natively with the hd software, no need to have the hardware, but you still have to own the heat license. Heat is not a plugin that comes bundled with pro tools.

So lets put it this way

Heat with old hd system = yes if you have the plugin license
Heat with hdx system = yes if you have the plugin license
Heat with hd native card = yes if you have the plugin license
Heat with pt hd software no hardware = yes if you have the plugin license
Heat with pt vanilla = no even if you have the plugin license.

And for heat to work on pt hd without hardware, you have to be on pt 12.1 or higher.

#BOYCOTTTUSPRODUCTS

just not Pro tools and compatible plugins...
Old 12-31-2015, 11:31 AM

You definitely do not need HD hardware for Heat. I'm using it with my M-Audio Project Mix, Focusrite 18i20, and Eleven Rack. You do need a HD 12 license and Heat license on your iLok.

Joel

Home:
Intel S5000PSL / 2 x Xeon E5450 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 Pro
Pro Tools 12 HD / M-Audio Project Mix IO

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Fender Mustang V 412 / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 12-31-2015, 11:37 AM

HEAT does NOT require HDX.... You do however have to own HEAT.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:46 AM

Why are you mad at Avid when this is user error ?!

They say that you can now USE HEAT with non HD Hardware in PT12HD as this has only been possible with HD Hardware before. Users with HD12 licenses can now USE HEAT without the need for HD Hardware. Heat has Never been included in HD licenses and have always been a pricey plugin although great sounding.

So ... For those who reads this thread, This information is available on the Avid website and it states quite clearly that you can now USE Heat in non hardware setups with your HD12 license.

HDX have never included HEAT in the bundle and of they have at on time it was a deal on the bundles and nothing I have ever been offered. We had to buy the license to use HEAT in PT12 HD without Avid hardware and we can now use it with both Our HDX2 and Apollo systems

https://www.avid.com/US/products/HEAT/specifications

https://www.avid.com/US/products/pro...tware/features

—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-31-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafare View Post
HEAT does NOT require HDX.... You do however have to own HEAT.
It's too bad my Sweet Water guy kept telling me - "you now get HEAT" - when discussing the upgrade to PT 12 HD.

I get it now. But how it was unclear before… oh well.

I AM un-winding the upgrade. I'm fine with PT HD 10… and I'm even more fine with using the vanilla version (I also have) with my non-Avid interfaces.

But the Sweet Water guy later today, was still saying "you get HEAT for free included with software upgrade, IF you have an HDX system". Wondering if he even has that right? (not that it matters)
Old 12-31-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Why are you mad at Avid when this is user error ?!

They say that you can now USE HEAT with non HD Hardware in PT12HD as this has only been possible with HD Hardware before. Users with HD12 licenses can now USE HEAT without the need for HD Hardware. Heat has Never been included in HD licenses and have always been a pricey plugin although great sounding.

So ... For those who reads this thread, This information is available on the Avid website and it states quite clearly that you can now USE Heat in non hardware setups with your HD12 license.

HDX have never included HEAT in the bundle and of they have at on time it was a deal on the bundles and nothing I have ever been offered. We had to buy the license to use HEAT in PT12 HD without Avid hardware and we can now use it with both Our HDX2 and Apollo systems

https://www.avid.com/US/products/HEAT/specifications

https://www.avid.com/US/products/pro...tware/features
I guess it's Sweet Water I should be mad at.