Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 10-25-2015, 08:03 PM

Default Re: Busses and Outs to Summing Problem

I'm functional - yes, thanks.

So what you shared gives me some ammo as I go to investigate that, later.
Thank you much.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:29 PM

Reading all of these replies is well, confusing.... Here's my reply on how to setup.

1. *NOTE* Your inputs are your inputs and your outputs are your outputs. You mentioned I believe that your speakers are connected to 1-2 correct? Well that would be to your 1-2 "OUTPUTS" correct?

2. Each of the channels that you want to send out to summing should be sent out via your available "OUTPUT" channels which I'm sure you're doing.

3. Your "Sum Return" or the "OUTPUT" of your summing mixer should physically be connected to your 1-2 "INPUT" channels.

4. Create a stereo AUX channel and set the INPUT of that channels to 1-2.

5. Route the output of the stereo AUX channel to a "Stereo" bus. Whatever bus you'd like but I'd name the bus.

6. Create a stereo "AUDIO" track and set the input of this track to the same bus as the output of the AUX track.

7. The output of the audio track should be set to your "OUTPUT" 1-2 because these are the outputs that your monitors are physically connected to.

7. You will need to record enable, or since you have PT 12, click the "Input" monitoring button. I would "Solo-Safe" this track as well.

*Note* The reason for the AUX track is because that's where your main processing for the stereo summed track will live. If you were to instantiate plugins on the actual audio track, those processes wouldn't print.

Also, naming your "INPUTS" and "OUTPUTS" and perhaps even some of your "BUSSES" will help you stay better organized.

Hope this helps!
Old 10-26-2015, 06:33 AM

Thanks.
Yes, and additionally, create another aux track after all of this with the buss from the receiving aux (just like #7). When this is done, mute the output of the audio track in 7 (print track) and use the aux track as a volume control (monitor send) so that the print is not affected by speaker volume changes.

And regarding by busses/out, my busses with hardware outs all begin with MR which is the name of the interface - I have this covered but I know how subjective this can be as to what is organized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafare View Post
Reading all of these replies is well, confusing.... Here's my reply on how to setup.

1. *NOTE* Your inputs are your inputs and your outputs are your outputs. You mentioned I believe that your speakers are connected to 1-2 correct? Well that would be to your 1-2 "OUTPUTS" correct?

2. Each of the channels that you want to send out to summing should be sent out via your available "OUTPUT" channels which I'm sure you're doing.

3. Your "Sum Return" or the "OUTPUT" of your summing mixer should physically be connected to your 1-2 "INPUT" channels.

4. Create a stereo AUX channel and set the INPUT of that channels to 1-2.

5. Route the output of the stereo AUX channel to a "Stereo" bus. Whatever bus you'd like but I'd name the bus.

6. Create a stereo "AUDIO" track and set the input of this track to the same bus as the output of the AUX track.

7. The output of the audio track should be set to your "OUTPUT" 1-2 because these are the outputs that your monitors are physically connected to.

7. You will need to record enable, or since you have PT 12, click the "Input" monitoring button. I would "Solo-Safe" this track as well.

*Note* The reason for the AUX track is because that's where your main processing for the stereo summed track will live. If you were to instantiate plugins on the actual audio track, those processes wouldn't print.

Also, naming your "INPUTS" and "OUTPUTS" and perhaps even some of your "BUSSES" will help you stay better organized.

Hope this helps!
Old 10-26-2015, 08:07 AM

You could add a Master Fader track instead of the additional auxiliary track and use that for monitor volume.
OS X 10.12.6
Lynx Hilo TB D/A
Prism Lyra A/D
Pro Tools Ultimate 2018
MASELEC MTC-1x
MASELEC MLA-2
MASELEC MEA-2
MASELEC MPL-2
MASELEC MLA-4
MANLEY (Mastering) SLAM!
MANLEY MASSIVE PASSIVE (Mastering)
X2 Rupert Neve 5059