Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 01-19-2010, 11:16 AM

Default Airport & Energy Saver at Off

Hi guys,

I've read from Digidesign's General Troubleshooting thread ( http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=54888 ) that the Airport and the Evergy Saver should always be tunrned off when using Pro Tools. Really? Why exactly? I am curious to know cause I never did this since I am using PT, and 90% of the time I am fine with running my sessions with the all the stuff I want (with drives for audio and etc) Does it mean I could get ever more juice for PT by doing this? It's just that it sounds weird to me that the Airport or the Energy Saver can slow down PT, I can't see why (but again, I am not a programmer or anything! ;-)

Drone / Ambient / Experimental
Old 01-19-2010, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Airport & Energy Saver at Off

Think about what Energy Saver is. Anything that (without your control) decides to throttle back the cpu(like right in the middle of a recording) can easily cause the program to choke or crash. 2 things you do NOT want happening while recording. With all due respect(not trying to be a jerk) but, Its so simple to follow the rules, that I just don't understand why people feel the need to "push the envelope". If you don't want to follow the rules, then do it any way you want. Just don't come whining when your session got corrupted or you lost that live recording that was going to pay you a nice check.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-19-2010, 12:46 PM

Ok I see. I was not whinning mate but simply curious to understand the reasons behind this as they only saying to do it but don't really explain why in the General Troubleshooting thread, so I just wanted to know how this REALLY could affect the performances of PT, that's it.

Drone / Ambient / Experimental
Old 01-19-2010, 02:42 PM

The effect is called a CRASH!
Old 01-19-2010, 02:58 PM

Energy saver makes sense, but Airport doesn't really, other than the fact that using wifi uses (some) CPU power. But then Digi should tell you to disable ALL processes or anything that uses CPU that isn't absolutely necessary.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:36 PM

I think the airport thing is on the same par with bluetooth and wifi(on a PC). I can't say for sure, but I suspect that it functions in the background and probably tasks the cpu at random times, which could cause a hiccup in the audio processing. Since I work on PC(and don't know if Mac's call for the same tweaks) the guide recommends setting processor scheduling to background services(which I think is where the conflict arises). Any Mac experts have some insight? In review, I understand the curiosity, but never felt the need to dig into the reasons(apologies if I sounded harsh). Any PC users running with the opposite setting for the processor?

BTW, I have a Magic Jack on my office machine for a phone line and it will not allow the computer to go into hibernation. Similar issue? Who knows?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave