Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2017, 06:03 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12.7 and OS Sierra 12.12.2 and Faders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Bernardo View Post
What plugins are you using? are they all hidden, if not what are the ones that aren't hidden?

Do you have your plugins updated?
Komplete 11 stuff; primarily Komplete Kontrol, Kontakt, Reaktor, Abysnth, FM8, etc...

Waves, UAD, Soundtoys, Izotope, FabFilter, Plugin Alliance, Slate, Sonnox, Lexicon, Toontrack, nothing too esoteric.

When I updated to Macos Sierra (10.12.3 was what was available) I made sure to painstakingly update all my plugs to versions that would be compatible with Sierra (where updates were available).

By "hidden" do you mean their GUI is closed and not open on the screen? Or do you mean the track is literally hidden in edit and mix windows?

I notice the lag when plugin GUIs are closed but tracks are shows in edit and mix windows, in case that answers your question.
Pro Tools|Ultimate 2023.12
HD Native Thunderbolt
HD I/O 16x16 Analog
Old 03-28-2017, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverH View Post
Komplete 11 stuff; primarily Komplete Kontrol, Kontakt, Reaktor, Abysnth, FM8, etc...

Waves, UAD, Soundtoys, Izotope, FabFilter, Plugin Alliance, Slate, Sonnox, Lexicon, Toontrack, nothing too esoteric.

When I updated to Macos Sierra (10.12.3 was what was available) I made sure to painstakingly update all my plugs to versions that would be compatible with Sierra (where updates were available).

By "hidden" do you mean their GUI is closed and not open on the screen? Or do you mean the track is literally hidden in edit and mix windows?

I notice the lag when plugin GUIs are closed but tracks are shows in edit and mix windows, in case that answers your question.
Hi Oliver,

Yes, I was talking about the GUI (sorry, forgot that name).

Does that happen when you open the session with all plugins disable?

Dialog Editor, Sound Designer, Re-Recording mixer

nMacPro 6Core/D500/512GB/64Gb ram | PT HD 12 HDN Thunderbolt | HD OMNI | Avid Artist Mix | Novation Impulse 25 | Waves Mercury Native | Audioease All In Bundle | SoundToys | McDSP Classic Pack | DUY Overpack | Arturia Beatstep Pro
Old 03-30-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Hi Oliver,

Yes, I was talking about the GUI (sorry, forgot that name).

Does that happen when you open the session with all plugins disable?
haven't had a chance to test this scenario fully with disabling all plugins in some of the more problematic sessions that I'm noticing the fader lag in... but that's also an interesting point about this problem...

Just last night was working in a session with minimal midi but tons of audio and basically no fader lag. It's strange... the problem does lessen sometimes in different sessions, on different days. And other times it's terrible. Most of the time it's terrible.

WTF?
HD Native Thunderbolt
HD I/O 16x16 Analog
Old 03-30-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverH View Post
haven't had a chance to test this scenario fully with disabling all plugins in some of the more problematic sessions that I'm noticing the fader lag in... but that's also an interesting point about this problem...

Just last night was working in a session with minimal midi but tons of audio and basically no fader lag. It's strange... the problem does lessen sometimes in different sessions, on different days. And other times it's terrible. Most of the time it's terrible.

WTF?
There's no WTF, maybe some plugins or app you're using isn't Metal optimized" this was introduce with El "Crapitan", let's hope that it will be optimised in the future DAW and plugins.

Dialog Editor, Sound Designer, Re-Recording mixer

nMacPro 6Core/D500/512GB/64Gb ram | PT HD 12 HDN Thunderbolt | HD OMNI | Avid Artist Mix | Novation Impulse 25 | Waves Mercury Native | Audioease All In Bundle | SoundToys | McDSP Classic Pack | DUY Overpack | Arturia Beatstep Pro
Old 04-14-2017, 12:50 AM

Quote:
There's no WTF, maybe some plugins or app you're using isn't Metal optimized" this was introduce with El "Crapitan", let's hope that it will be optimised in the future DAW and plugins.
sorry for the delay in getting back on this but wanted to report about a session i was working on tonight that gave me MAJOR GUI lag on the faders and also the scroll window in edit windows for audio and midi. Specs/details about session below:

6 audio tracks
5 instrument tracks
1 click track
1 aux used as "mix bus"

So far, have the following plugs/VIs inserted:

Avid stock EQ3-7 band
Izotope Vinyl
Izotope Trash 2
UAD Fatso Sr. (latest version)
UAD Apmex ATR-102 (latest version)
Avid Trim
Avid Lo-Fi
NI Komplete Kontrol (latest version)
NI Kontakt 5 (latest version)
AIR Lo-Fi
Avid Click II

All pretty "on the up" plug companies and have latest (to my knowledge) versions of everything installed, so don't see any real black sheep sticking out here that could be the culprit. Izotope Vinyl could be a slightly less supported plug of the bunch, however, when I deactivated it in the session (not bypassed, complete deactivation) the GUI fader lag was definitely still there.
HD Native Thunderbolt
HD I/O 16x16 Analog
Old 04-16-2017, 08:18 PM

bumping.

So what are we that are experiencing this to do? Basically just sit tight because it affects some of us on Sierra and PT 12.7.1 and hope that this will get fixed. Thing is it was working smooth for me in other iterations of PT 12, but never know when it will be break again.. which of course makes me nervous to ever update Pro Tools? So what am I paying for the yearly HD update plan for again...?

I experienced this back on the Mavericks too on the same nMP and PT 12. It feels like it's probably an Apple issue but who knows. It seems odd that amongst all of us experiencing this, we haven't been able to find a common thread to reproduce the problem predictably. But I guess that's part of the problem, isn't it?
HD Native Thunderbolt
HD I/O 16x16 Analog
Old 04-17-2017, 12:04 AM

For me it's zoom level dependent, zoomed out, no lag, zoomed in, lag

OS X 12.3, PT 12.7.1 Vanilla, Logic Pro X, Reason 9, Melodyne, iZotope, BFD3, Komplete 9
MBPro 2013 Retina (16GB)
External Thunderbolt SSD
Thunderbolt display
Apogee quartet & duet
Nord Stage II EX
Roland TD-12
Old 04-17-2017, 12:07 AM

I have only ever experienced this when I have been recording. Never when playback only
Old 04-17-2017, 06:05 AM

I downgraded my system back to Yosemite 10.10.5, and while the fader/graphic lag have been reduce, they're still present.

On a side note, I did discover that disabling "Send fully overlapped clips to available playlists while recording" reduces the graphic lag while recording. I'm not sure if anyone has tried this, so let me know how it works for you.

Mac Pro (2013)
3.5GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB Memory
OS X 10.12.6

PT 2018.1
Old 04-17-2017, 01:44 PM

Dang, well ok. Seems like we're all having different experiences with the GUI lag in different ways. Mine's primarily mixer window fader lag (no way to "zoom" on this window that i know of... so don't think that's an issue for me...?) The next most annoying symptom is lag of play bar during playback and then also adjusting midi velocities. Huge lag on those.

Very weird.

This is why I'm always VERY leary of ever updating OS X or PT. But sometimes you just are forced to in order for other pieces of your system to be supported. In my case, it was so latest NI stuff would be "supported" and also so latest Avid HD Driver would properly work with CoreAudio.

Fix one thing, breaks another.......
HD Native Thunderbolt
HD I/O 16x16 Analog