Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2010, 10:25 PM

Default I'm thinking of purchasing this system

Hey Gurus- any light you can shed on this?

First- I'm PC literate (Mac too, but I want to get as much bang for the buck), hold 30 certifications in multimedia and web development... I've even been involved with a session or two with Pro Tools (HD). I've been reocrding for 20 years and have over 1000 recordings under my belt. I would be considered an expert in MIDI.

I love production... I have have a wonderfully talented group of musicians that I'm blessed to perform with on the weekends. I'm a multi-instrumentalist- guitarist (session player) and lead vocalist.

I want a system able to record at least a 3-5 musicians. MIDI connections are important.

I am talking to Sweetwater- who I love.. they have always steered me right in price and advice.

But I want to do a bit of investigation before I spend $7K.

Here's the system:
(I'm leaving out tech supprt, installation charges, instructional DVDs, etc)

Windows 3.2GHz Tower Work
ProTools Le (most recent version)
003 Rack with Plug-Ins
OctoPre2 8-Ch Mic Preamp w/Dig i/o
Classic Pack Native Bundl
Native Power Pack
AutoTune Native Tuning Plug-in
Music Tools for Pro Tools

Does this sound decent?

Thanks for taking the time to respond folks... I know other people on here have more pressing issues.

Thanks,
Chad
Old 06-15-2010, 11:05 PM

Default Re: I'm thinking of purchasing this system

Hi Chad,

I can’t comment on your computer without a list of exact components.

What operating system are you installing? Consider that Pro Tools is not yet fully qualified with Windows7.

The 003 Rack is a good unit. The converters are OK.

The Octopre II, not bad for the money.

Classic pack = good stuff.

Native Power Pack = good stuff.

Auto Tune is not my favorite tuner. I prefer Melodyne or Waves Tune. But I do use them all.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 06-15-2010, 11:15 PM

Hello and welcome.

You are not being very specific about your computer and os system. I reccomend reading the I7 builds thread below to get a compatible computer for Pro Tools LE.

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=238426
Old 06-15-2010, 11:20 PM

If you want to install windows 7 you can read the instructions for that here:
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=263579

AutoTune Evo is the latest AutoTune version. The only thing I don't like about it is that the new version has got lot of delay when you put it on a track. Autotune 5 didn't. So untill PT LE gets ADC it's only usable in AudioSuite mode. But the quality is great.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:06 AM

Chad,

Welcome! You have to be careful about those Sweetwater guys---especially that Brad Lyons guy whom I've heard posts over here from time to time. I can't seem to find him right now---but I'll let you know when I do! Okay, seriously here..... I don't know the conversations you've had or anything about what you're doing---but I pulled up your information and I can say that the person you're working with is a straight shooters and really knows his stuff. There are so many directions you could take depending upon your budget, what you want to do, and how good of quality you want. I will also say that you can go out and build your own computer to save some money over one of our Creation Stations---but understand our computer team is a full-time job of just building configurations and testing them in real world situations so that we know what works and what doesn't work. The level of support that is there is totally unmatched by anyone period.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:29 AM

Wow! Thanks for everyone's responses!

The first thing is the
Motherboard: ASUS w/X58 chipset
CPU: Intel Core i7 2.8GHz/1333MHz FSB
Hard Drive(s): Seagate 500GB & 1000GB (1TB for Audio Library) SATA
RAM: 6GB DDR3/1333MHz
Optical Drive: DVD+/-RW LightScribe
Video Card: GeForce 9500GT, 1 x HDMI, 1 x DVI-I/1 x VGA
Ports: 1 x FireWire, 10 x USB 2.0, 2 x eSATA, 1 x S/PDIF, 2 x LAN
PCI Slots: 3 x PCIe-2.0 x 16 (2 available), 1 x PCIe x4, 2 x PCI
Card Reader: Multimedia card reader

I do not know whether it is Windows™7 or Vista or what. I know a lot of folks don't like the Vista Platform but I have a great experiences with it.

I will look into the Autotune and other similar software.

@BradLyons- Yes- I've been using Bob Mondak @ Sweetwater since 2003. I have no doubt about his ability and I trust his suggestions 105%. He'll not only consider my wants- but he's willing to discus all of it in great detail. I hope no one here takes it as I have no faith in Sweetwater. I don't mean to imply that at all! They've always taken care of me.

I did tell Bob I thought he was suspicious since he never puts his headshot in any of their catalogs. Ha ha ha ha

Seriously, I just wanted to hear from other folks and their experiences. Think of it as investigative shopping. :)
Old 06-16-2010, 08:59 AM

Take a look at my website and the computers I build. They are more powerful than what Sweetwater sells and very stable. I don't normally do this, but if you're interested in a duplicate system of our MASC, email me and I'll quote one for you. It will be cheaper than Sweetwater and much more powerful.

BTW-Windows 7 works just fine with ProTools. I have HD on my system and it operates just fine.

www.advancedrecordingstudios.com
Old 06-16-2010, 09:27 AM

Yes---you can build (or have others build) a computer that is less expensive than our's---but remember the service and support that comes along with it. We've been building systems for over 20-years, we know what works and doesn't work---and support the entire system from front to back.

To William---where in Michigan are you? I am originally from there.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadAustinDesign View Post
Wow! Thanks for everyone's responses!

The first thing is the
Motherboard: ASUS w/X58 chipset
CPU: Intel Core i7 2.8GHz/1333MHz FSB
Hard Drive(s): Seagate 500GB & 1000GB (1TB for Audio Library) SATA
RAM: 6GB DDR3/1333MHz
Optical Drive: DVD+/-RW LightScribe
Video Card: GeForce 9500GT, 1 x HDMI, 1 x DVI-I/1 x VGA
Ports: 1 x FireWire, 10 x USB 2.0, 2 x eSATA, 1 x S/PDIF, 2 x LAN
PCI Slots: 3 x PCIe-2.0 x 16 (2 available), 1 x PCIe x4, 2 x PCI
Card Reader: Multimedia card reader

I do not know whether it is Windows™7 or Vista or what. I know a lot of folks don't like the Vista Platform but I have a great experiences with it.

I will look into the Autotune and other similar software.

@BradLyons- Yes- I've been using Bob Mondak @ Sweetwater since 2003. I have no doubt about his ability and I trust his suggestions 105%. He'll not only consider my wants- but he's willing to discus all of it in great detail. I hope no one here takes it as I have no faith in Sweetwater. I don't mean to imply that at all! They've always taken care of me.

I did tell Bob I thought he was suspicious since he never puts his headshot in any of their catalogs. Ha ha ha ha

Seriously, I just wanted to hear from other folks and their experiences. Think of it as investigative shopping. :)
Hey Chad, I gotta say, Sweetwater's support and turnkey systems are hard to beat. Before building my i7, I had purchased a Pentium 4 CS Rack from them along with PTLE 7, everything pre configured and installed. Everything ran super smooth until eventually I started feeling the need for an upgrade, (use VI's extensively).

At the time of my upgrade to an i7 build, I couldnt swing the cash for a new cs rack, so, I gutted the rack and fitted the components following the i7 thread VERY carefully, Im glad to say that my system is stable and solid, I never thought possible to run as many VI's simultaneaously as I do now.

I guess this comes down to how much time you have to build, configure, and troubleshoot a new system.

If you are short on time, go with the turnkey system, they are very reasonable for the price and Sweetwater support is second to none, I believe they are running with the vista platform, I myself am using XP SP3, (The same licence from my original purchase).

Brad, didnt know you worked for Sweetwater, tell David Hess I said Hi!

Atte.

Claudio
Old 06-16-2010, 10:03 AM

Northeast of Detroit. And I've been building computers for 25 years, myself. That's why I offered. Not to mention, the parts Sweetwater uses are the VERY SAME parts anyone can buy retail. I understand you're protecting your business here but I've built five of the systems in my studio for others (two for an internationally known studio) and I don't go cheap on the cooling systems, etc.

I don't market our MASC system but every one I've built has received accolades from those who bought them. I'm sure I have as much experience if not more than any single "builder" at Sweetwater.

www.advancedrecordingstudios.com