Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2010, 01:33 AM

Question XP mode in Win7, how to use this?

There is Steinberg Hypersonic 2, Dongle driver which do not want to install, I have notice on Google that there is a XP mode in Win7 64bit, anyone know how this work and or how to use this????????..this would allow me to install the Dongle driver as it do not allow to be installed now. One's installed I could use the compatibility part in Win7 if it does not want to run to get it to run just need to get it install or get it to install the drive of the Dongle.

I still getting the info down on this, hoping all you people could assist on this?

Most of my plug-ins is 32bit still and work well in Win7 64bit, there is just, The Steinberg Hypersonic 2, Dongle driver which do not want to install, however other then that all work well in the 64bit win7 platform.
I am amazed how well the 32bit software runs in Win7 64bit platform.

I believe in the XP mode one can still install 32bit software which will run in Win7 and even in Win7 64bit too. Do anyone know of this and or how this works and how to use this???????????

I must say PTS9 runs well with and in Win7 64bit all my plug-ins work, including my virtual instruments.......BFD2 works well lesser processor power which was 70-80% in XP Pro with PTS8, now gone down to 15-20% with BFD2 and PTS9, Win7 sees all my memory too all 6 gig...
Old 11-28-2010, 06:11 AM

Default Re: XP mode in Win7, how to use this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre67 View Post
There is Steinberg Hypersonic 2, Dongle driver which do not want to install, I have notice on Google that there is a XP mode in Win7 64bit, anyone know how this work and or how to use this????????..this would allow me to install the Dongle driver as it do not allow to be installed now. One's installed I could use the compatibility part in Win7 if it does not want to run to get it to run just need to get it install or get it to install the drive of the Dongle.

I still getting the info down on this, hoping all you people could assist on this?

Most of my plug-ins is 32bit still and work well in Win7 64bit, there is just, The Steinberg Hypersonic 2, Dongle driver which do not want to install, however other then that all work well in the 64bit win7 platform.
I am amazed how well the 32bit software runs in Win7 64bit platform.

I believe in the XP mode one can still install 32bit software which will run in Win7 and even in Win7 64bit too. Do anyone know of this and or how this works and how to use this???????????

I must say PTS9 runs well with and in Win7 64bit all my plug-ins work, including my virtual instruments.......BFD2 works well lesser processor power which was 70-80% in XP Pro with PTS8, now gone down to 15-20% with BFD2 and PTS9, Win7 sees all my memory too all 6 gig...
I downloaded and doodled around with the XP Mode but did not totally understand it. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir.../download.aspx

What I did to get the old Steinberg 32bit Virtual Guitarist II to work on a Win7 Prox64 drive is drag the entire installation folder off the DVD to the desktop. Then right click both the folder and .exe file, select Properties, Compatibility, and select XP SP3 and Run as Administrator. That worked.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:24 AM

Question Re: XP mode in Win7, how to use this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenner View Post
I downloaded and doodled around with the XP Mode but did not totally understand it. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir.../download.aspx

What I did to get the old Steinberg 32bit Virtual Guitarist II to work on a Win7 Prox64 drive is drag the entire installation folder off the DVD to the desktop. Then right click both the folder and .exe file, select Properties, Compatibility, and select XP SP3 and Run as Administrator. That worked.
Is the desktop the only way to go or do one do it by placing it on the drive too?
I my case Hypersonic 2 install, just not the dongle driver that is where I got stuck, I know If I can manage to get it to install it would work with the Compatibility feature.

The Windows Virtual PC way would this work if the desktop thing do not?
Old 11-29-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Is the desktop the only way to go or do one do it by placing it on the drive too?
I my case Hypersonic 2 install, just not the dongle driver that is where I got stuck, I know If I can manage to get it to install it would work with the Compatibility feature.

The Windows Virtual PC way would this work if the desktop thing do not?
I don't know anyone who's had success with WV PC in this type situation. I tried it with Virtual Guitarist II but could not get it to work.

But I think you misunderstood me. Before installing anything... Drag/copy-paste the entire contents of the Hypersonic 2 installation disc onto the desktop or into a new folder on the desktop. Then right click on the Hypersonic 2.exe file and put it in XP3 compatibility mode... then install. VG II would not install otherwise even in every attempt with WV PC. It's worth a try and worked for me with Steinberg's other discontinued 32bit product (VG II). Rewire didn't work properly but it was fully functional and problem free in Cubase.

Regarding the dongle, the latest eLicenser drivers are fully compatible with 32/64bit. You should download and install that first. http://www.elicenser.net/en/latest_downloads.html
Old 11-30-2010, 12:19 AM

Thumbs up Re: XP mode in Win7, how to use this?

Quote:
I don't know anyone who's had success with WV PC in this type situation. I tried it with Virtual Guitarist II but could not get it to work.

But I think you misunderstood me. Before installing anything... Drag/copy-paste the entire contents of the Hypersonic 2 installation disc onto the desktop or into a new folder on the desktop. Then right click on the Hypersonic 2.exe file and put it in XP3 compatibility mode... then install. VG II would not install otherwise even in every attempt with WV PC. It's worth a try and worked for me with Steinberg's other discontinued 32bit product (VG II). Rewire didn't work properly but it was fully functional and problem free in Cubase.

Regarding the dongle, the latest eLicenser drivers are fully compatible with 32/64bit. You should download and install that first. http://www.elicenser.net/en/latest_downloads.html
I found Win7 dongle drivers, on the net, did a Google search, and I am happy to report that, Grove Agent2, Hypersonic2, and Virtual Bassist all work in Win7 64bit.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:27 AM

I don't know about your original problem, but I'll add this:

I would not use XP mode or any virtual/emulation software except the default wow layer (windows on windows) on win64. Any virtual pc software is really for legacy apps with few requirements apart from the API's (program calls) it is missing in the new o/s. Using a virtual o/s emulator for something cpu or memory intensive will only result in pain - everything is at least 50% slower as memory calls/etc need to be interpreted twice.

XP mode is for stuff like your online banking doesn't work. Not for audio processing.

Cheers,
Mike.

Avid Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.3. Win7x64Sp1. i7-930 X58A-UD3R. Acronis backup. Black Viper optimized.
Google the DUC
Search Avid

Old 11-30-2010, 06:32 AM

Quote:
I found Win7 dongle drivers, on the net, did a Google search, and I am happy to report that, Grove Agent2, Hypersonic2, and Virtual Bassist all work in Win7 64bit.
...and 'grats

Avid Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.3. Win7x64Sp1. i7-930 X58A-UD3R. Acronis backup. Black Viper optimized.
Google the DUC
Search Avid

Old 11-30-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Cool. So it was just the eLicenser update - glad you got them working. I wish it were that straight forward for VG II. I use Trilian now but might take a go at Virtual Bassist again. I made some nice tracks with that VI several years ago. Interesting how Steinberg discontinued such extremely cool products including Hypersonic. The new Halion Sonic makes me hopeful about a 64bit VG type VI in the future.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Interesting how Steinberg discontinued such extremely cool products including Hypersonic.
You do know that Wizoo, the company behind most of those Steinberg products, is now the AIR team at Avid, right?

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 11-30-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLip View Post
I don't know about your original problem, but I'll add this:

I would not use XP mode or any virtual/emulation software except the default wow layer (windows on windows) on win64. Any virtual pc software is really for legacy apps with few requirements apart from the API's (program calls) it is missing in the new o/s. Using a virtual o/s emulator for something cpu or memory intensive will only result in pain - everything is at least 50% slower as memory calls/etc need to be interpreted twice.

XP mode is for stuff like your online banking doesn't work. Not for audio processing.

Cheers,
Mike.
What he said. Well put.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88