Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2006, 10:57 AM

Default new to print to track workflow question

I have recently converted 90% of my workflow to print to track rather than BTD.
The only thing I'm having an issue with is:
When I want to scrub for an edit, especially after approval deliveries have been made, my scrub audio will not pass as assigned.

Prior to my first print I have tracks assigned to 1-2.

When I get ready to print, I assign tracks to StAuxMstr (bus) which feeds PrntMstr (bus) which outs to 1-2.

I put PrntMstr into Input mode.

StAux and PrntMstr are in Solo Safe mode.

When I scrub a track It is not feeding the PrntMstr track.

Am I missing something or is there a better workflow?

Thanks for tips and sorry if this is the wrong forum.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:38 AM

Default Re: new to print to track workflow question

When printing a mix to a PT track I find it easiest to assign multiple outputs to the mix bus master fader. Leave the tracks in your mix assigned to 'StAuxMstr' all the time. Assign the output of 'StAuxMstr' to both 1-2 and 'PrntMstr' bus. This can be done by assigning the output of 'StAuxMstr' first to 1-2, and after it is assigned hold 'CTRL' while assigning it to 'PrntMstr'. A '+' sign will appear next to '1-2' indicating that there are multiple assignments. When ready to bounce just record enable the PrntMstr track and press record. In my setup I can monitor multiple outputs and switch between them, so I would leave PrntMstr assigned to 3-4. If PrntMstr and mix tracks share output 1-2, I would mute the output of PrntMstr while recording and solo it after printing.

Andrew
Old 08-25-2006, 12:38 PM

that makes sense
it would also eliminate the confusion of what is being heard
a printed track or source material

thanks

others?
Old 08-25-2006, 07:41 PM

you can scrub through an aux track but not an audio track. so another way around this is to set up an aux that has the same input and output as our PrntMstr track (call it PrntMstr Aux or PrntMstr Monitor or something...). monitor through the aux track up until you need to print, then deactivate or mute the aux, and put the PrntMstr in record.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:18 AM

Quote:
you can scrub through an aux track but not an audio track. so another way around this is to set up an aux that has the same input and output as our PrntMstr track (call it PrntMstr Aux or PrntMstr Monitor or something...). monitor through the aux track up until you need to print, then deactivate or mute the aux, and put the PrntMstr in record.
Amen Brother! Right on, just a great tip. To add to this, group all the PM tracks and the scrub track. In this way, your a couple of clicks away from the sound you want to hear and mot wasting time!!
Peace,
Brandon
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme