Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2003, 06:22 AM

Default dialogic>????

a client just sent in this request... im zapped.... someone help me! the format is new ... ane sample rate is boggling me and what is MuLaw mono????

thank you

--------------------------------------------------

'The attached list ..............

I will need the following format as well...

File Type: Dialogic ( vox )

Attributes: Mu-Law mono

Rate( Hz ): 8000

[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-21-2003, 07:03 AM

Default Re: dialogic>????

Hay,

Don't wory: it's a very common file-format for phone aplications. Get yourself Barbabatch V3 (runs on sys 9 only for the time being), to convert your files to the disired format..
There are several flavours of Dialogic, so I'd do a test on one or two files, and tsjeck-out with your client wich-one works ok.
Barbabatch gives them a strange extension, so you'll need to give them the apropriate extension manualy (usually .vox )
The only drawback is that you can't play .vox files back on a Mac (not even Soundapp plays them), so you'll need a PC to check out if the conversion worked out ok.
I like to whack up the volume a bit with an L1 or something on the original files, so the hiss and distortion gets a bit less audible on these .vox files.
Greetings,

Huby
Old 05-21-2003, 08:09 AM

Hi. Do all editing in ProTools. Take .Wav files to an PC with Sound Forge. Import & Save As. Very ease & fast. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

http://www.mmvstudios.com
Old 05-21-2003, 10:17 PM

thanks a ton huby and kurt.. i fail to see why wont barbabatch save as a .vox extension.. and also az to why the files wont play bak on the Mac ? what software will the PC play them bak in? Is Barbabatch good for resampling files to a lower sample rate..? also soundforge only has encoding to dialogic ADPCM whil i need Mu law... [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

anywaz...

this is a question ive been meening to ask for a long time... there was this time when we got a project where we needed to resample recorded material to 16Khz.. now we tried Wavelab, PT, Soundforge.. but they all end up with this file that sounded substatially reduced in quality.. with a hollow metallic ring and all... then some one told us to try this cheap (40$) software called Goldwave.... eureka... not many can tell the diff in a 44.1Khz file and a 16Khz now... how the hell does it do that????????????

thanks a ton.. as alwaz..
Old 05-21-2003, 11:45 PM

guess what??? Goldwave is also converting to dialogic (Mu law mono, *.vox) foramt. At 8Khz.!!!

now, while all other sofwarez are rendering the file useless at that sample rate, Goldwave is managing to retain the charecterstics of the voice very well.. however there is a drop in quality... the same distortion and all.. is there any way around this.. or are all dialogic files like this.. also can someone gimme some more details on this format ? and i think the *.vox uses 8000hz as standard.. cause if i try encoding the file at 16khz before saving it as a Dialocig file... it plays bak (as a *.vox) at twice the speed.... hmmmm..... hurry hurry..
Old 05-22-2003, 11:21 PM

bump!
Old 12-19-2003, 12:58 PM

actually, Barbabatch will play your ADPCM sound files, as long as you keep the (strange) extension it gives them (like ".AL8" ...). Just drag and drop files or folders in the input window and hit the play button. You can play a complete folder in a raw (it will play the files by alphabetical order), and use some features like varispeed (to 2 times normal speed), and you also get a small navigation window (previous, next, pause)

AFAIK, Barbabatch is the only program I know of doing all that on Mac.
SOX (on which Barbabatch has been made) will do the conversion (if you're not afraid of terminal line commands), but offers no noise-gate and no such playback features.
But Barbabatch remains OS 9 only ... which is more and more a problem ...
Old 12-20-2003, 05:54 AM

The reason that BarbaBatch can't play back files with the .vox extension is that VOX files do not carry information within them to tell an application EXACTLY what kind of VOX file it is. It could have a 6k sample rate or and 8k sample rate; therefore the BarbaBatch specific extension of ".AL6" or ".AL8." AudioEase bundles several utilites with BarbaBatch. One of them performs batch name changing so that you can alter extensions or file numbering schemes on huge numbers of files in one operation. It's got a lot of options and is very useful.

AudioEase is working on an OS X version of BarbaBatch.

j mcd