Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2015, 09:02 AM

Default Instrument Track Plug In Input Bug

I use Protools in conjunction with VEP5 for my music production. I am trying to import instrument tracks from one PT session to another using "import session data". When I do this, my input settings on the imported instrument tracks are deactivated (greyed and in italics). When I try to re-select the appropriate inputs (Plugin Inputs which are being fed from VEP5 instrument track outputs) PT bumps the input selection to an unwanted input and prevents me from selecting the input I want.

For instance. Let's say I have a ProTools session with a performance on an instrument track that I want to import into a new session. In the original PT session I have an instrument track receiving audio from an instance of Kontakt in VEP5. The Kontakt output in VEP5 is set to Channel 21+22 as is the input on the instrument track in PT (plugin input: 21+22). Now I start a new PT session and what to import that same PT instrument track to the new session using "import session data". The track is imported with the correct inputs selected and the midi data in place, but the input selection is inactive (greyed and in italics). If I try to re-select the input (in this case plugin input 21+22) the input selection bumps to some other input, like 59+60. No matter what I do, I can not select input 21+22 on that track. Very strange!!!

This is extremely frustrating. Can anyone shed any light on this situation? Thanks in advance!
Old 05-25-2015, 06:59 PM

Default re: Instrument Track Plug In Input Bug

I'm having nearly the exact same problem - PT bumps the plugin input selection to an unwanted input and prevents me from selecting the input I want.

If I have a ProTools 12 session with a performance on an instrument track receiving audio from an instance of PLAY in VEP5. The PLAY output in VEP5 is set to Channel 21+22, as is the input on the instrument track in PT (plugin input: 21+22).

Even if it is all working correctly, the next time the session is opened some of the plugin input selections are inactive (greyed and in italics). If I try to re-select the input (in this case plugin input 21+22) the input selection bumps to some other input, like 59+60. No matter what I do, I can not select input 21+22 on that track.

If I delete the VEPro instance, insert a new one and then reconnect all the inputs it will work, until the PT session is closed and reopened and then the same problem occurs.

I've replicated this situation on 2 different computers.

Cheers,
SK
Old 05-26-2015, 08:17 AM

This is one of the reasons why I stopped trying to use Instrument tracks and went back to Audio tracks. This exact bug you're describing would show up on occasion and it was entirely frustrating. I believe that we used to fix the issue by creating a new Audio track and copying the VI plugin to that track. There might be some added maintenance to get the routing correct after the move.

I haven't tried PT12 but assumed that it would be fixed by now. Sounds like it remains.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:22 PM

If you uncheck "input assignments" when you import your multi output tracks you'll need to reassign the inputs but you won't get this bug. Waiting patiently for a fix!!
Old 05-31-2015, 07:40 PM

Thanks everyone, at least I know it's a bug.

I'll swap out the instrument tracks for midi/aux pairs and see if that works.

Cheers,
SK
Old 03-22-2016, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Instrument Track Plug In Input Bug

I'm seeing this problem a lot with students moving between Pro Tools 11 and 12.4 computers at school. Has anybody figured out the best workaround for dealing with this?

I really hope Avid fixes this for 12.5.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio