Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2024, 08:38 AM

Default Disk Cache problems

When I open a session, no mater what the disk cache is set on, frequently the audio clicks and pops and the tempo sometimes slows down. To resolve the issue, I have to change the cache size. It does'nt matter if I start high and change to low or start low and change to high. Now,also quite frequently, this happens in the middle of a session when i and loading or modifying plugin settings. It's maddening. any idea what's happening.I have all brand new drives
which did not help at all.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:32 AM

Default Re: Disk Cache problems

More details might help;
1-You say you have new drives, was it working fine before the new drives?
2-How exactly are the new drives formatted and partitioned?
3-What are these new drives(SSD, NVMe, spinners...)?
4-How much disk space do you normally assign(and what happens if you select "Normal" instead of a specific amount)?
5-(as I am not familiar), how does the Apollo connect?

Shooting from the hip, I kind of doubt its actually Disk Cache causing the problem, but changing it is doing something "under the hood" to give a temporary fix. with 32GB of RAM, I usually set cache to 5-6GB and never had an issue(which is why I think it may not be the direct problem).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-25-2024, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Disk Cache problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdpar View Post
When I open a session, no mater what the disk cache is set on, frequently the audio clicks and pops and the tempo sometimes slows down. To resolve the issue, I have to change the cache size. It does'nt matter if I start high and change to low or start low and change to high. Now,also quite frequently, this happens in the middle of a session when i and loading or modifying plugin settings. It's maddening. any idea what's happening.I have all brand new drives
which did not help at all.
Are you talking about disk cache or hardware buffer size? You are describing a not too unusual behavior of the *hardware buffer size*.

Is ignore errors enabled? If it is the disable it and troubleshoot the underlying CPU errors. Do all the standard stuff...

If disk cache, how large a disk cache are you setting and does that fully cache the session to start with? ... Look at the meter turning green. Are later issues related to the cache filling? Again, watch the meter.

Where is your clear system info? Including disk drive info if you are suspecting them. "SSD" tells little useful info. Just post a Sisoft Sandra report.