Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2017, 02:12 PM

Default Re: What Apple and surely Apple?

FWIW, I went in the opposite direction for my primary studio computer - from Mac OS to Windows 10 [having used and still using Macs for many years: laptops, desktops, designing studios, labs etc). Obviously the mac is vastly underpowered and overpriced by comparison to PCs; still selling the MacPro 'Trashcan' as a new product is simply unconscionable; the iMac: why on earth would pro audio people want CPUs and fans on the desk in their face? Its an office box.

This PC runs beautifully & there isn't really that much difference in the OS these days. Just do a little work on what you need to do, then be able to mod, expand, update to suit your need with the right build /supplier.

My 2 cents anyway, no probs with this PC & Win 10. I still use macs. [re. Pro Tools on Win in particular: I do wish they'd get it together & update the UI for Win: still no floating windows for Edit and Mixer.]
MacPro 7,1 Big Sur 11.2. 16 core, 2TB, 192GB, Vega II 32GB. OWC Thunderbay 6, RME UFX+, UAD-2 quad PCIe, Decklink MiniMon 4k, Sonnet M.2 4x4. Dell U3419W & BenQ SW2700PT. FaderPort 16, Komplete Kontrol S61, Nuendo, Wavelab, Pro Tools Ultimate, Logic, Ableton Live. FinalCutPro, Resolve Studio.
Old 11-30-2017, 03:44 PM

There is another option...."hackintosh"(shhhhh, don't say that out loud)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-30-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
There is another option...."hackintosh"(shhhhh, don't say that out loud)
i heard it !!! and am always thinking in the back of my head about doing this .. i did the put Sierra and High Sierra on unsupported macs thing a couple weks ago .. installed Sierra and High Sierra on my 3,1 macpro and it worked .. i think this is the first step towards learning some of the steps to Hacky World .. just a different set of steps .. but might have to .. need more Power Captain !!!

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 11-30-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1192 View Post
i heard it !!! and am always thinking in the back of my head about doing this .. i did the put Sierra and High Sierra on unsupported macs thing a couple weks ago .. installed Sierra and High Sierra on my 3,1 macpro and it worked .. i think this is the first step towards learning some of the steps to Hacky World .. just a different set of steps .. but might have to .. need more Power Captain !!!
I'm on my second Hack since 2012 and all in all, it's been a great experience. If I could get Thunderbolt working, it would be perfect.

That's the only thing has me thinking about installing Windows 10. Thunderbolt works on the Windows side, yet I have not found the right combination to get it working on the Mac side.

I tried Win 10 before going the Hack route, and I really liked it, but the biggest issue I had was sample rate switching with my Focusrite Scarlett 18i20. I work in Post as well as music, so I go from 48k sessions to 44.1 a lot, and I had to reboot (or restart PT) almost every time I switched. PITA.

Once I installed OSX, that problem went away. If I could get past that issue, I might go back to Windows. I actually liked it.

tg
Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.5 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 7 / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X
Old 11-30-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayter1 View Post
I'm on my second Hack since 2012 and all in all, it's been a great experience. If I could get Thunderbolt working, it would be perfect.

That's the only thing has me thinking about installing Windows 10. Thunderbolt works on the Windows side, yet I have not found the right combination to get it working on the Mac side.

I tried Win 10 before going the Hack route, and I really liked it, but the biggest issue I had was sample rate switching with my Focusrite Scarlett 18i20. I work in Post as well as music, so I go from 48k sessions to 44.1 a lot, and I had to reboot (or restart PT) almost every time I switched. PITA.

Once I installed OSX, that problem went away. If I could get past that issue, I might go back to Windows. I actually liked it.

tg
Get a different interface.....Problem solved!!

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 12-01-2017, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
Get a different interface.....Problem solved!!
Lol. Any recommendations? Seriously thinking about going back to windows.

tg
Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.5 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 7 / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X
Old 12-01-2017, 06:22 AM

Quote:
...I work in Post as well as music, so I go from 48k sessions to 44.1 a lot ...
I use 48 for music - as well as for post - whenever possible.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 12-01-2017, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
I use 48 for music - as well as for post - whenever possible.
I have years of old sessions at 44.1, but I'm slowly switching over.

tg
Old 12-01-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Lol. Any recommendations? Seriously thinking about going back to windows.

tg
That line of Focusrites are the only ones I can think of with those problems. If you went Thunderbolt for instance, the Claretts don't have the issue, I have both generations of UA Apollo Twins that don't have the issue, even a low end Resident Audio TB interface works fine.

The only other quirk that I would recommend looking into, some hardware requires you shut down PT to change the buffer size. UA for instance, you have to shut down PT, change the buffer, then open PT back up. Claretts for instance do not require that, you can change the buffer inside PT.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 12-01-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
That line of Focusrites are the only ones I can think of with those problems. If you went Thunderbolt for instance, the Claretts don't have the issue, I have both generations of UA Apollo Twins that don't have the issue, even a low end Resident Audio TB interface works fine.

The only other quirk that I would recommend looking into, some hardware requires you shut down PT to change the buffer size. UA for instance, you have to shut down PT, change the buffer, then open PT back up. Claretts for instance do not require that, you can change the buffer inside PT.
Thanks for the info.

tg