Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2003, 02:42 AM

Default Anybody use a Marian ADCON?

Well, do you? Here's a link...

Marian ADCON

I can't find much info on it. I'm looking for a good lightpipe a/d/a to improve on my 001 converters and there isn't much at this price point ($600) Thoughts, comments?

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2003, 04:00 AM

Default Re: Anybody use a Marian ADCON?

Then you haven't found the search-option yet. It is on top of this page, and called "Search the DUC". I searched on Marian and i got a lot of hits...

Bastiaan
Old 09-07-2003, 04:20 AM

I´m using it!
No problems so far. Sound is ok, can´t hear a difference between 001 and Adcon. I´m sure it´s a good and cheap gear. 2 Mic-pres with PP included (the knobs of the pres are not good, they feel really cheap, but they work ok, so wtf). And you can use it either as master or slave sync.

Here´s the official site
MacBook Pro i7 Quad 2.6GHz 16GB RAM
ProTools 2020.11
Avid S1
Avid Dock
Avid Control
Digidesign Command|8
macOS Catalina
MOTU 4pre
MOTU Track16
Axiom Pro 25
LinnStrument 128
Roli Seaboard Block

tons of stomp boxes
tube amps
guitars
noise
Old 09-07-2003, 06:19 AM

I DID search the DUC, and the rest of the internet without finding much other than the adcon press release before I posted. Thanks anyway, but if you'd read the results you got here you would see that they were of little help, except for clausiii's initial thoughts after he got his adcon.

Quote:
Then you haven't found the search-option yet. It is on top of this page, and called "Search the DUC". I searched on Marian and i got a lot of hits...
Old 09-07-2003, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Sound is ok, can´t hear a difference between 001 and Adcon.
That's what I was afraid of, I'm looking for a real step up from the 001 converters, but a box with both a/d and d/a is usually more $$$ than I've got. I don't even need all those inputs or preamps, if I could find a good stereo lightpipe a/d/a for less than a Lucid, I would very happy! Does it exist?
Quote:
And you can use it either as master or slave sync.
If you set it as master does it improve the sound any? I've never used an external clock, so maybe I'm confused... Thanks for the helpful reply!
Old 09-07-2003, 06:41 AM

Then maybe Mind Print is osmething to look into. I have the DI-port (250 euro's), and they also have the AN/DI/pro wich is better and around 450 euro's. Both units have RCA and lightpipe SPDIF outputs. More info at www.mindprint.com

I think Focusrite also has some boxes for around $500.

Bastiaan
Old 09-07-2003, 07:16 AM

The Mindprint AN/DI Pro also comes with stereo "Class A" Mic Pre Amps complete with inserts so that you can add some nice valve/tube EQ/Compression before the A/D conversion? .

AKM AK5393 A/D converters are the same as used in the Mackie Sounscape 32. Just use the s/pdif outs straight in the Digi!

Sounds good to me!

Cheers JK
Old 09-07-2003, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Then maybe Mind Print is something to look into. I have the DI-port
That one looks good, but no inserts. Do you think that This Review is on target?

Quote:
I think Focusrite also has some boxes for around $500.
I have a Penta, but I've heard people say that the A/D option doesn't sound much different from the 001. The Twin Track Pro has A/D/A, but I'm guessing it's the same.

I want an Apogee, but I don't want to pay for it!!
Old 09-07-2003, 08:54 AM

Yeah, i think that review is on target.

The cheapest Apogee is the mini-me without the USB-option, but still $1165.50 http://www.bayviewproaudio.com/apogee_minime.html

I have no idea how the focusrite digital option sounds. I do have Focusrite Tonefactory, and i use it as a mic-pre, and it just kicks ass

The Mindprint AN/DI/Pro does have inserts, and is supposed to be a better box. That one has those chips lochgarman speaks of, and i found out they are also being used in the RME ADI.

The strange part is that the mindprint stuff in the USA is much more expensive then in Europe. Check your review. I got that box for 250 euro's. Usually it is the other way around. I got mine from www.musicstore.com wich is a big store siruated in Cologne germany. Maybe the ship to the states...

Bastiaan
Old 09-07-2003, 09:23 AM

"The Mindprint AN/DI/Pro does have inserts, and is supposed to be a better box. That one has those chips lochgarman speaks of, and i found out they are also being used in the RME ADI.

The strange part is that the Mindprint stuff in the USA is much more expensive then in Europe. "

There must be similar US available products to the Mindprint gear?

Anyway us over here in Europe have to pay more for US gear, just check out the prices for the Digi002R which is a £1000 in London! You don't get an upgrade option from Digi001 or free bundled software either! I bet you can pick one up in the US for $800?

Cheers JK