Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 01-12-2017, 04:40 PM

Default Apollo 8 Quad DSP performance.

Hi all, I am wondering for those of you running the Apollo if there is any tuning you do or suggestions on maximizing DSP? I am new to the system and have been watching many tips and tricks videos and was playing around with the Neve 1073 on my drums and it was sounding nice. I did notice DSP went way up and with maybe 6 plugins I got the DSP disabled message. I have a free quad satellite coming and that will certainly help but I couldn't help but wonder if I should have maxed that out with just half a dozen of these loaded in my inserts. I'm watching a lot of videos where they have way more loaded and don't know if its specific to the plugin or they know some tricks I don't. That got me to wondering if I should be tuning my mac and PT12 to better optimize my performance during playback etc. I just upgraded to a new 6 core Mac Pro with 32gb ram and 1tb new ssd and that is barely impacted. Is there anything specific I could do to get more out of that? My Satellite is scheduled for Sat but I doubt Ill see FedEx home til Tuesday at this point which is a bummer. Curious what you all think and do. Peter
Old 01-12-2017, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Apollo 8 Quad DSP performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonetl View Post
Hi all, I am wondering for those of you running the Apollo if there is any tuning you do or suggestions on maximizing DSP? I am new to the system and have been watching many tips and tricks videos and was playing around with the Neve 1073 on my drums and it was sounding nice. I did notice DSP went way up and with maybe 6 plugins I got the DSP disabled message. I have a free quad satellite coming and that will certainly help but I couldn't help but wonder if I should have maxed that out with just half a dozen of these loaded in my inserts. I'm watching a lot of videos where they have way more loaded and don't know if its specific to the plugin or they know some tricks I don't. That got me to wondering if I should be tuning my mac and PT12 to better optimize my performance during playback etc. I just upgraded to a new 6 core Mac Pro with 32gb ram and 1tb new ssd and that is barely impacted. Is there anything specific I could do to get more out of that? My Satellite is scheduled for Sat but I doubt Ill see FedEx home til Tuesday at this point which is a bummer. Curious what you all think and do. Peter
The Neve 1073 is quite heavy on the DSP, there is not a lot you can do about that. Myself I have an Apollo 8 Quad, Apollo Twin Duo and an Apollo Quad Satellite, and even I rarely use them. I find that for drums I tend to use the SLL Channel. Black knobs, roll up high end. You get a good punch sound. If you want some more warmth, use the brown knobs.

I too love the Neve 1073, but it's used quite sparingly, Vox, sometimes, snare.

Computer: Custom Built PC
Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus Z270X-Gaming 7
CPU: i7 7700k
MEM: 16GB Corsair Vengance DDR4 3000
GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080Ti Extreme
DAWs Pro Tools 12.7.1
Interface: Universal Audio
Preamps: Focusrite, Universal Audio
Outboard Processors: Universal Audio
Control Surfaces: AVID S3, Pro Tools | Control + Pro Tools | Dock
Old 01-12-2017, 05:41 PM

Ok good to know. I was mainly following along with the tips and tricks video and they were using it at such. I am wondering how much I can push it with the quad satellite when it arrives. I imagine that will give me more and if I still could use more well the octo went on sale. :) My wife would probably kill me.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftStudios View Post
The Neve 1073 is quite heavy on the DSP, there is not a lot you can do about that. Myself I have an Apollo 8 Quad, Apollo Twin Duo and an Apollo Quad Satellite, and even I rarely use them. I find that for drums I tend to use the SLL Channel. Black knobs, roll up high end. You get a good punch sound. If you want some more warmth, use the brown knobs.

I too love the Neve 1073, but it's used quite sparingly, Vox, sometimes, snare.
What do you mean with black and brown knobs? Is this UAD-2 plugins or something else we should know about

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-12-2017, 05:45 PM

Well, I've got 10 cores of DSP with my setup, and I rarely hit the limit. I will say the processing power of the DSP chips in the UAD gear are not as powerful as your CPU, but they are specialized, and they offload the CPU which allows you to use the CPU for other things and other CPU based plugins.

Don't forget, if you have plugins on the channels in your console, they also consume DSP even if you're in Pro Tools editing. I tend to save my live recording session as a Console Save so when I edit I can remove all the plugins and release the resources for my editing.

DAWs Pro Tools 12.7.1
Old 01-12-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
What do you mean with black and brown knobs? Is this UAD-2 plugins or something else we should know about
The UAD SSL Channel lets you switch between the black and brown knob version of the SSL Channel strip. It affects the low end of the EQ and filter primarily.

DAWs Pro Tools 12.7.1
Old 01-12-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftStudios View Post
The UAD SSL Channel lets you switch between the black and brown knob version of the SSL Channel strip. It affects the low end of the EQ and filter primarily.
Wow sorry for the stupid question

I thought it was a new plugin we missed hehe.

We have all the UA plugins to date but use maybe 30-35% of them and as we run a pristine SSL 4000G+ 48 channel I can't remember when we used the UA SSL emulations except for the bus comp as there is only 1 on the console and the UAD SSL BUS COMP is fabulous and hard to tell apart from our console.

I am gonna try the SSL CS tonight and test the black and brown options as i am sure no one here have seen that function on the Channel Strip

Thanks for the quick answer.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-12-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Wow sorry for the stupid question

I thought it was a new plugin we missed hehe.

We have all the UA plugins to date but use maybe 30-35% of them and as we run a pristine SSL 4000G+ 48 channel I can't remember when we used the UA SSL emulations except for the bus comp as there is only 1 on the console and the UAD SSL BUS COMP is fabulous and hard to tell apart from our console.

I am gonna try the SSL CS tonight and test the black and brown options as i am sure no one here have seen that function on the Channel Strip

Thanks for the quick answer.
No worries. Yeah, I wouldn't touch the plugins either if I had a 400G+ 48 channel. lol.

One can dream.

DAWs Pro Tools 12.7.1
Old 01-12-2017, 07:42 PM

I think you get the E and the G series consoles in both the Waves and the UA stuff.

I like the E series myself. But YMMV.

Steve
Old 01-13-2017, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonetl View Post
Hi all, I am wondering for those of you running the Apollo if there is any tuning you do or suggestions on maximizing DSP?
Freeze and Commit will help here for sure while mixing.

Beyond this, the first thing to remember, and one of the main strengths of UA's system, is to track with the plugins!! Use a Unison pre amp, do a little bit of EQ (HPF at least), maybe a tiny bit of compression while recording. Just like all the great records that you love have been made. Professionals don't take a mic and plug it into an interface, set the level, and hit record. You'll get boring, uninspiring tracks that way that require lots of fussing with at mix. But if you take the time and care to craft a sound before hitting record, you'll be much happier in the end and mixing becomes the fun creative thing it should be.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.