Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2014, 12:12 AM

Default Advice on Hardware

Hello there. Apologies if this is in the wrong place. Just seemed like the right spot to ask this stuff!

I'm a film student who's had a good couple of years experience with Pro Tools 11 from using it at my university and it's mixer board. I'm basically looking at buying my own version to do sound design for film with and was looking for advice as to what a good starting point is hardware wise.

I have an Imac with a spare monitor which I intend to connect so I can watch the footage on a separate screen. Basically looking to edit foley, dialogue and record a little too. I'm also looking to practice recording voice for animation which may include a studio mic interface (but the joys of trying to record I will leave for another space)

I was thinking of buying a Behringer BCF2000 as a controller box and perhaps buying pro tools with an audio interface. Finally a decent studio mic and decent headphones.

Just starting out and more or less looking for something I can use to practice and learn about setting up my hardware + practice sound design from home.

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2014, 01:36 AM

Default Re: Advice on Hardware

start with your school's bookstore for the Student License of Pro Tools/interface bundel
then a good external hard drive(s) your your projects

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 07-24-2014, 02:23 AM

Is that basically the discounted version of pro tools I can get by verifying with my student ID? Because I will certainly do that! Also do my other suggestions seem sound?
Old 07-24-2014, 11:22 AM

yes it seems like a sound plan

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig