How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2013, 03:00 PM

Default Play Midi Notes When Editing: not working

Hi there!

I'm having a problem with the "Play MIDI Notes When Editing" function. The problem is... It's not working, ha! I do definitely have this function enabled, and I just checked to see if it is working on instrument tracks (it is), but on MIDI tracks it is not. Clicking on the little keyboard on the left side of the piano roll sends no MIDI out data, and editing on the piano roll, moving notes around, etc. does not send any MIDI out data either. If i draw in a sequence and play it back, then yes, everything functions as it should, but I can't get it to play while editing, which is really bunging up my workflow. I do a lot of MIDI editing in Pro Tools, and this is a new issue for me that I haven't encountered until I switched from PT 9 to 10.

Can anyone help?! Does 10.3.7 solve this problem by any chance?

Pro Tools 10.3.6
003 Rack
Macbook Pro 2.9 GHz i7
8 GB Ram
OSX 10.8.4

Thanks everybody!

Last edited by nikseven; 10-08-2013 at 03:09 PM. Reason: added my interface to specs
Old 10-08-2013, 07:38 PM

Default Re: Play Midi Notes When Editing: not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikseven View Post
Hi there!

I'm having a problem with the "Play MIDI Notes When Editing" function. The problem is... It's not working, ha! I do definitely have this function enabled, and I just checked to see if it is working on instrument tracks (it is), but on MIDI tracks it is not. Clicking on the little keyboard on the left side of the piano roll sends no MIDI out data, and editing on the piano roll, moving notes around, etc. does not send any MIDI out data either. If i draw in a sequence and play it back, then yes, everything functions as it should, but I can't get it to play while editing, which is really bunging up my workflow. I do a lot of MIDI editing in Pro Tools, and this is a new issue for me that I haven't encountered until I switched from PT 9 to 10.

Can anyone help?! Does 10.3.7 solve this problem by any chance?
Not at my DAW to test, but you might need to record enable the MIDI track.

Chris

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 10-08-2013, 09:19 PM

nope, that isn't the issue, unfortunately. i'm getting the same behaviour regardless of whether the MIDI channel is record enabled or not (and when editing in the MIDI editor / piano roll, it does not normally need to be record enabled).

further to the symptoms i described in the first post, i've also tried playing notes in from a midi keyboard, and the MIDI track does show input signal, but again, this MIDI data is not being passed on to the selected output channel as i play. but again, if i play recorded or drawn in MIDI back from the same track, it does send the data fine and plays fine. wha?!
Old 10-08-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
nope, that isn't the issue, unfortunately. i'm getting the same behaviour regardless of whether the MIDI channel is record enabled or not (and when editing in the MIDI editor / piano roll, it does not normally need to be record enabled).

further to the symptoms i described in the first post, i've also tried playing notes in from a midi keyboard, and the MIDI track does show input signal, but again, this MIDI data is not being passed on to the selected output channel as i play. but again, if i play recorded or drawn in MIDI back from the same track, it does send the data fine and plays fine. wha?!
Strange! Have you tried creating a new session and using a default plugin like Mini Grand? Is MIDI Thru checked under the Pro Tools Options drop down menu? Just tested on mine and it works fine, whether record is enabled or not. If it's happening with all plugins, you might try reinstalling Pro Tools. I'm not an expert with MIDI on a Mac and don't know if it could be a problem with MIDI Studio or not.

Chris

Chris

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 10-09-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
Strange! Have you tried creating a new session and using a default plugin like Mini Grand? Is MIDI Thru checked under the Pro Tools Options drop down menu? Just tested on mine and it works fine, whether record is enabled or not. If it's happening with all plugins, you might try reinstalling Pro Tools. I'm not an expert with MIDI on a Mac and don't know if it could be a problem with MIDI Studio or not.

Chris

Chris
As mentioned in my original post (maybe not that clearly), i am NOT having this problem with Instrument tracks / plugins. This problem is only with MIDI tracks, with the MIDI output routed to hardware via my 003 rack MIDI outs. I can also note now that this problem appears to be intermittent, 90% of the time it's not working correctly, then out of the blue it will start working again for a while. Pretty frustrating!
Old 10-09-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
As mentioned in my original post (maybe not that clearly), i am NOT having this problem with Instrument tracks / plugins. This problem is only with MIDI tracks, with the MIDI output routed to hardware via my 003 rack MIDI outs. I can also note now that this problem appears to be intermittent, 90% of the time it's not working correctly, then out of the blue it will start working again for a while. Pretty frustrating!
Have you done the proper setup in OSX audio/MIDI setup? Check that first. You never mentioned in your first post you were working with external MIDI modules.

QAPLA!