Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 11-10-2014, 02:09 PM

Default Pro Tools 8 with Win7

I understand that 8.0.5 is compatible with Win 7, but I am trying to load my original version 8 software - in order to upgrade to 8.0.5 - but the computer will not load original version 8 software.
Any ideas?
Many thanks.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 8 with Win7

Are we talking LE or M-Powered? Many(too many) LE8 installer disks were defective so downloading it, or buying a replacement disk(if available) from the Avid store might be the solution. In either case, there are some tricks to this install, so here they are:

Step 1-if you have a previous install(failed or not) run the UNinstaller utility that is included(so you start with a clean slate) and reboot.

If you have a FW interface, connect it with everything powered OFF and leave the interface powered OFF for now. Open the installer and right-click the setup file and select Run as Administrator and launch the installer. When it tells you to connect the interface, DO NOTHING. Just click on Okay, let it finish and reboot.

Now run the updater(8.0.5) and use the right-click>Run as Admin option again. When the updater tells you to connect the interface, DO connect(USB) or power ON the interface, wait about 8 seconds and click Okay, then let it finish and reboot. Remember, if you get any popups announcing "New Hardware Found", ignore them completely(don't click on them at all) and they will go away on their own. After this last reboot, right-click on the PT icon and select Properties and look for the tab with these 2 options:
Always Run as Admin
Disable Desktop Composition
check both of those, launch PT and have your authorization code handy(for LE, that is). M-Powered will need the iLok

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave