Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-25-2009, 07:22 AM

Default So It's Official? Legacy Hardware Is Dropped??

I had thought Avid had revisited this and decided NOT to drop legacy hardware. According to this, legacy hardware is officially in the rear view:

http://blog.mixonline.com/mixblog/20...pro-tools-803/

Digi? Uh hum, I mean Avid? What's up?
Mac Mini (2019)
3.2 Ghz - 6 Core i7
Mojave with 64 GB RAM
PT Ultimate (2019.10)
Motu 16a
C/24 Control Surface
Old 11-25-2009, 08:21 AM

Default Re: So It's Official? Legacy Hardware Is Dropped??

They were going to, but then they reverted the decision due to massive user complaints. The pre-release 8.0.3 reflects the original decision and does not support MIX interfaces, but DIGI has said that they're going to support legacy gear in the official release.

So...

As long as we're using Snow Leopard, the legacy gear should be supported. But the clock is ticking, if they face incompatibilities with the next big cat then I believe that's it.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:21 AM

To the OP:

Unless your signature is out of date (which is possible) it shouldn't affect you one way or the other. I'll also point out that you're using an unqualified set up and it still works....

Is it possible that despite not supporting it, legacy hardware will still work? Surely they wouldn't break the code?
Old 11-25-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezking View Post

Is it possible that despite not supporting it, legacy hardware will still work? Surely they wouldn't break the code?
8.03pr does not have the Port Settings option for Legacy I/O so under that MIX era is completely cut. BUT

AVID have retracted the decisions so i expect the next PT versions will have that reinstated

Ainslie
Old 11-25-2009, 02:03 PM

Can anyone tell me what this means for a expansion HD owner? Would I assume this would still host my cards in the next version just that software issues will not be supported?

I think its a real pain in the butt to have to buy a $2.5k magma to replace something only a couple of years old and which does nothing other than host PCI cards that are still supported.
Just cant see the logic. I could understand if the PCI-x cards were no longer supported but they will be.
Seems some special deal has been cut with Magma and this is bad treatment of existing expansion HD users who spent decent money for just a short term usage period.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:29 PM
Avid

The blog is incorrect regarding Mix peripheral support - it's definitely back in 8.0.3.

PPC/G5, Expansion|HD and the original Mbox will remain unsupported, per this announcement:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=254166
Old 11-25-2009, 03:33 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukman View Post
Can anyone tell me what this means for a expansion HD owner? Would I assume this would still host my cards in the next version just that software issues will not be supported?

I think its a real pain in the butt to have to buy a $2.5k magma to replace something only a couple of years old and which does nothing other than host PCI cards that are still supported.
Just cant see the logic. I could understand if the PCI-x cards were no longer supported but they will be.
Seems some special deal has been cut with Magma and this is bad treatment of existing expansion HD users who spent decent money for just a short term usage period.
The Expansion|HD will not be recognized in any version of Pro Tools beyond 8.0.1.

Unfortunately there were significant unforeseen issues with Expansion|HD in both Snow Leopard and Win 7 that precluded the viability of future development.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:04 PM

so BIG FAT power cards are coming soon?

Old 11-26-2009, 12:03 AM

Being that my system is still only at 7.4 I have PT 8.0.3 to look forward to!

Tiger 4.11 and PT 7.4 has been so solid for me I cant imagine using anything else right now. I do however have PT 8.0 on a second boot drive with Leopard but have only used it twice so far just playin' around.

This G5 will have to do until next year first or more likely the second quarter of 2010.

Apple Powerbook 1.33GHZ/ M-Box 2
OSX 10.5.8/PT LE 7.4.2
Old 11-26-2009, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisblanc View Post
This G5 will have to do until next year first or more likely the second quarter of 2010.
If you already had PCI-express cards I would've said "don't wait, just buy the cheapest MP out there" but as your cards are PCI you're going to have to upgrade the cards first and the cost of a host computer comes extra -- if I was in your pants, I would keep using the G5 as long as it works (who knows there are new cards available before it dies...)