Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2015, 10:20 PM

Default Re: Officially looising it

I have the version from BTO's Greatest and it definitely does not have a meow. It sounds like someone responsible for a certain compilation release was having some fun.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 03-21-2015, 09:31 AM

https://soundcloud.com/jimi-sellars/cat
Old 03-21-2015, 12:27 PM

Fresh ears EQ bumped up at 1800 and after what sounds like a meow sounds like an electronic artifact, or it's a cat. I'm really not spamming. I have been around a long time and rarely post.

It used to be easier to just listen years ago. Now I can't help but hear stuff like Jeff Buckly's chair squeak/edit at 2:30 in Halleluiah.

Should this be in the CAT forum. no I have no cats.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:34 PM

Listen to the Beatles' first LP Please Please Me. On the slower songs you can hear Ringo's bass drum pedal squeaking away...

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 03-21-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
Listen to the Beatles' first LP Please Please Me. On the slower songs you can hear Ringo's bass drum pedal squeaking away...
Those old kick drum pedals were a bear to try and keep silent. Ludwig's had a history of that kind of noise.

QAPLA!
Old 03-21-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post

Robin Trower, Bridge of Sighs album.

Bender, I hear the noise now too. You're right that its aroung 1800 and more prominent on the right since the guitar is to the left. It's not a cat, but something else.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 03-21-2015, 08:21 PM

My band was in a studio for the first time about 15 years ago. Get the mixes done and bring them home to listen for a bit before going back to master them. On one song the drummer hears a gawd awful, out of tune sound in the background. On of all things, his cheap computer speakers. He calls all of us to see if we notice it. I couldn't in my car. We had listened to these tracks countless times already.

But I go over to hear what he's talking about. Sure enough. It's plain as day. We all get together to listen. And the lead guitar player instantly knows what it is. While he was going through the song add little fills he was humming and whistling along. So we call up the studio. The engineer goes back and remixes it after cleaning it up. Crazy how we never noticed it until then.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Those old kick drum pedals were a bear to try and keep silent. Ludwig's had a history of that kind of noise.
Yeah...if you visit the Ludwig factory they have dumpsters for the ones that don't squeak!

Maybe 15 years ago Ludwig remanufactured the Speed King pedals for a period of time. Mine is hermetically sealed, and protected by armed guards.

I have a couple of DW 7000 pedals, and no matter how much I adjust them, I can't get them to play as well as my Speed King.

I've noticed that both DW and Yamaha are now making "direct drive" kick pedals and hi-hat stands...the DW kick pedal is pushing $500.

But after using just about every drive system available, the new DW pedals are definitely on my "lottery list"...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 03-21-2015, 11:02 PM

Grand Funk I'm Your Captain/Closer to home, at 52 seconds you clearly hear an engineer saying "alright"

Years before I had the Beatles book I heard lots of stuff like reverb tails being cut off, most likely do to need space on the 4 track. Some of the engineering was really cool. Wish I had been around to work with guys like Eddie Kramer.

I remember Andy Waterman engineering our band at the Playboy/Shade tree studio in the 70's. I remember thinking "if this stuff did not cost so much I could do this"

Old 03-22-2015, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
Yeah...if you visit the Ludwig factory they have dumpsters for the ones that don't squeak!

Maybe 15 years ago Ludwig remanufactured the Speed King pedals for a period of time. Mine is hermetically sealed, and protected by armed guards.

I have a couple of DW 7000 pedals, and no matter how much I adjust them, I can't get them to play as well as my Speed King.

I've noticed that both DW and Yamaha are now making "direct drive" kick pedals and hi-hat stands...the DW kick pedal is pushing $500.

But after using just about every drive system available, the new DW pedals are definitely on my "lottery list"...
DW5000 AD3 (the older pedal) pedal here and no squeaks. Not nuts about direct drive as I'm a heels-down player and they put too much strain on my ankles.

But back to 'hidden' sounds in the EWQLSO library (original Kontakt version) on some of the sounds in certain velocities if you hold the note long enough you can hear words and other noises and a couple of the words are of the 4 letter variety. In the Play engine version they don't seem to be there and I know they used the same sample set; may have run them through Izotope RX to clean them up.

QAPLA!