Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 10-20-2020, 06:22 AM

Default Connecting MIDI-Keyboard when Audio Interface has no MIDI Inputs

Hi There,

I'm using a M-Audio Eight Track with Protools 2020. Unfortunately it doesn't have any MIDI Inputs. I want to connect an old kind of "noname Keyboard" just to play virtual instruments - mixed with real audio recorded tracks.

Therefore, i just simply bought a cable that converts MIDI to USB, like this one
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07...CICVRA03&psc=1
So, on my DAW (computer) are two usb-things connected now, the audio interface and the midi-to-usb cable from my keyboard.

But when I create a new instrument track in protools and load a plugin with virtual instruments, nothing happens when I play the keyboard (the track is in record mode when trying).

So my question would be: What can I do about this? Can that even work? Is a simple cable from MIDI to USB the same as a MIDI interface? Or do I need something else?
Do I have to change any settings in protools?

thanks for help!
Old 10-20-2020, 09:26 AM

Default Re: Connecting MIDI-Keyboard when Audio Interface has no MIDI Inputs

2 things to consider:
#1-have you gone into Setup>Midi>Midi Studio and configured the keyboard and routing? Pro Tools needs to know where to "look for" midi data and this window is where that gets configured. Create a new "instrument". Name it as you like(I use an Akai keyboard so I named mine "Akai"). The brand and model settings are not important(you can leave them blank). The crucial setting is "Input Port" and that would be the little USB adapter you bought(which hopefully came with a driver). Also, make sure you connect the Midi plugs correctly(I believe you want the plug labelled OUT connected to the Midi Out of the keyboard). The remaining IN connector can probably just hang un-connected unless your keyboard has sounds in it that you want to trigger

#2-you picked probably the cheapest adapter possible, which is not always the best choice. Now it may work fine once configured correctly(and I hope it does), but if it doesn't, you may need to spend more for a more "pro" option. My own recommendation is the MOTU Fastlane. I have used a 2x2 version for many years and its been solid as a rock

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-20-2020, 11:47 AM

Thanks a lot for your Feedback.

Regarding #1
- I went to Setup>Midi>Midi Studio
- What I can choose is "USB MIDI Interface [Emulated]" which I chose for Input
- After closing, when I create a Instrument Track I leave the channel input with no input and my basic speakers as output
- Then I put a virtual instrument to the insert of that channel and activate the track
- still it doesn't work. The driver of that cable has been installed when first plugged into the computer automatically, and the virtual instrument works when I "play" it with the mouse
- The cable is connected correctly
- Any other ideas?

Yes, I chose a cheap one, but my Piano is also very cheap and old - it used to work with the midi stuff, I just set it all up new now.
I would be looking for a more pro Version but it would be good to know if it's really the cable or the piano instead. Otherwise I would rather choose a new MIDI keyboard that can simply connect via USB
Old 10-22-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic-B View Post
Thanks a lot for your Feedback.

Regarding #1
- I went to Setup>Midi>Midi Studio
- What I can choose is "USB MIDI Interface [Emulated]" which I chose for Input
- After closing, when I create a Instrument Track I leave the channel input with no input and my basic speakers as output
- Then I put a virtual instrument to the insert of that channel and activate the track
- still it doesn't work. The driver of that cable has been installed when first plugged into the computer automatically, and the virtual instrument works when I "play" it with the mouse
- The cable is connected correctly
- Any other ideas?

Yes, I chose a cheap one, but my Piano is also very cheap and old - it used to work with the midi stuff, I just set it all up new now.
I would be looking for a more pro Version but it would be good to know if it's really the cable or the piano instead. Otherwise I would rather choose a new MIDI keyboard that can simply connect via USB
Hi!
What keyboard do you use? I have had problems in PT2020 to make my keyboard work!
lots of plugins