Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 07-10-2017, 05:55 AM

Default Re: 16 Softkeys not active

Hi Eddie,

Here's my setup

OS 10.10.5
PT 11.3.2
EUCON 3.6.1
No other surfaces connected
Old 07-15-2017, 11:09 AM

Hi,
I got the same issue with my dock and I´m running the same system as Moviesound beside a connected Artist Mix. iPad is a mini2.
As written in a another post, the soft keys are getting disconnected in various ways as leaving Pro Tools, hiding tracks (which makes it always occur by changing marker layouts), new tracks etc.
I have some other thoughts about the dock.
First, I would like, as mentioned a lot by other users, the monitor knob and switch to be programmable. In my case it would be great to use it for clip gain control - switch to select the clip and rotate to reduce or raise the gain, especially because the wheel does this command not dynamic. Means it just works static with the grid configured in the prefs. Would be nice if this could be improved too.
Next point is the pan window. As I`m interested in splitting the pans in stereo tracks for moving each pan separately in the room, there is no knob or softkey on the dock or pt-control for pairing or decouple the pans. I always have to do this by selecting the pan device on the track in protools when I want to change the way it works (and vice versa).
There are some other options missing from the PT panner in PT control too.
Another point in my setup is the transport control possibility of the artist mix. As I´m using the shift key a lot on my dock, the solo and mute keys 5-8 of the Mix are very often in transport mode. That makes it really confusing, when I try to solo or mute a track on my Mix. Suddenly I´m at the beginning of the session or it starts to play without my willing. That would be a great feature in EU-Control to prevent Artist Mix Solo and Mute Knobs going into this mode by pressing the shift key.
Also I would appreciate to have larger fields for changing Mixer, Tracks, Channel and Soft Keys. Maybe it´s just a little sticky with the iPad mini, but in comparison to most other soft keys they are quiet small (and they are used pretty often by me).
Two things about the EQ control.
I miss the possibility to have fine tuning by pressing the control key. In former PT-control versions it was the only way to have the knobs on the dock reasonable working with the EQ. Now, that the knobs working much better, this feature seems to be gone. But without it, I can´t adjust every frequency I want. I have to go back to the Plug In in PT and do it there.
One thing about choosing the Q-factor in the EQ´s. I don´t understand why that has to be done with the small select soft keys. For me it would be no problem to open just another tile in the tile window. I think the access could be faster and more intuitive. Or, as some other guy suggested, to press the f-knob to reach it. And to press shift and f-knob for getting back to preset setting.
So far,
Stefan
Old 07-15-2017, 08:07 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSo View Post
Next point is the pan window. As I`m interested in splitting the pans in stereo tracks for moving each pan separately in the room, there is no knob or softkey on the dock or pt-control for pairing or decouple the pans. I always have to do this by selecting the pan device on the track in protools when I want to change the way it works (and vice versa).
There are some other options missing from the PT panner in PT control too.
What version of PT are you running as the Stereo Linking was added to the knobset a few versions ago
Quote:
Another point in my setup is the transport control possibility of the artist mix. As I´m using the shift key a lot on my dock, the solo and mute keys 5-8 of the Mix are very often in transport mode. That makes it really confusing, when I try to solo or mute a track on my Mix. Suddenly I´m at the beginning of the session or it starts to play without my willing. That would be a great feature in EU-Control to prevent Artist Mix Solo and Mute Knobs going into this mode by pressing the shift key.
Good idea Noted!
Quote:
Also I would appreciate to have larger fields for changing Mixer, Tracks, Channel and Soft Keys. Maybe it´s just a little sticky with the iPad mini, but in comparison to most other soft keys they are quiet small (and they are used pretty often by me).
I can see how this would be on the smaller iPad, not sure how easy it would be to enlarge the target space around the words but I'll ask
Quote:
Two things about the EQ control.
I miss the possibility to have fine tuning by pressing the control key. In former PT-control versions it was the only way to have the knobs on the dock reasonable working with the EQ. Now, that the knobs working much better, this feature seems to be gone. But without it, I can´t adjust every frequency I want. I have to go back to the Plug In in PT and do it there.
If you are running at least PT 12.7 and EuControl v3.6.1 you have finer control than any other surface previously. There's another thread on this where I proved it.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:14 AM

Hi Eddie,
thanks for your quick reply on a Sunday!!
It`s great to have this fast feedback from Avid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
What version of PT are you running as the Stereo Linking was added to the knobset a few versions ago

I´m running PT HD 11.3.2. You mean this could be the reason for it?

I can see how this would be on the smaller iPad, not sure how easy it would be to enlarge the target space around the words but I'll ask

Would be great!

If you are running at least PT 12.7 and EuControl v3.6.1 you have finer control than any other surface previously. There's another thread on this where I proved it.
It´s as mentioned 11.3.2 with EuControl v3.6.1. Seems to go the next step with the PT version.

Cheers,
Stefan
Old 07-25-2017, 08:23 AM

We haven't got anywhere with this. 3 out of 4 on this thread have this issue, rendering a major part of the dock pretty much unusable. The one who doesn't is running on PC and not mac.

The issue is happening with both PT 11 and PT 12

Can anyone confirm that they don't have this problem on mac. I have now tried on a completely separate system with fresh install, latest versions of everything, but running Sierra and i get exactly the same problem

Eddie?
Old 07-25-2017, 08:25 AM

Yes, same here.
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 07-25-2017, 09:11 AM
Avid

We are running multiple system both mac and PC and don't see the keys completely disappear. We are making some changes to the code that may fix this though and as soon as I get a beta I'll ask for your help to test.
Can I clarify something though, when the LED's don't light up are the switches inactive too....and if so do the Softkeys on the iPad still work ?
Old 07-25-2017, 09:34 AM

Thanks for getting back Eddie. A beta would be great to try

When the LEDs become inactive, so too do the switches. The buttons on the iPad itself always DO work
Old 07-25-2017, 09:55 AM
Avid

I'm not sure if I asked this before but do the other Softkeys....automation modes down the left side work when this happens ?
Old 07-25-2017, 10:24 AM

Well yes and no. I've never been able to get the automation modes working on my system. We have discussed that on a separate thread...but I have re assigned the bottom three buttons on both sides of the left hand strip and these always work, regardless of the LEDs above

If I select ALT then i can use the secondary function of the buttons in any state too.

But automation state buttons never work full stop. This is not a problem for me as (besides putting a channel in trim) I never understand why anyone would work in anything other than touch latch, so I don't need that function