Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 08-21-2017, 07:11 AM

Default PT 12 hair puller

I'm using PT12.5 via windows . I've 8 gig RAM, 5 core processor. Audio-only projects with minimal plug-ins generally work okay, though I may have to disable some for some projects. I am primarily using this machine to draw MIDI parts using Hollywod Strings and Brass, and/or Sample Modeling Trumpet, Trombone, Sax Bros. Mini Grand, and Superior Drummer. Audio gets added later in the studio. As said, generally works fine, though If I get instrument-heavy I can either disable the part(s) I'm not working on or purge samples. I finally got around to reading the Play manual for HW Strings and Brass, and began tweaking settings in Play to enhance performance. Obviously some handshaking is going on between the two because previously MIDI tracks are severly distorted past discernibility, regardless of which instrument plug-in is being used, most pronounced on the piano that comes as a Pro Tools (AIR?) plug in. I have checked Hardware settings and sure enough samples reverted down to 128, though I as a matter of course work with 1024. I have had a devil of a time changing that- I enter the correct number then exit Pro Tools as instructed, re-start, check settings- and nothing's changed. I suppose I've done this 50 times- with subtle variations on just how I leave the change settings screen. Often- not every time- an error message appears saying that "an explained error has occurred and hardware settings could not be changed." Hmmmm.
I have re-booted almost as many times as I have exited PT and restarted. I have examined settings in Play, and have noticed that the changes in Hardware settings conforms to Play settings. I have unplugged and replugged the Focusrite interface. I have re-installed PT. I have succeeded in getting samples increased to 512, but repeated attempts (maybe 20 or so) can't get it any higher.
I realize there is a more current version (12.7 or so) of PT out, but am unsure of the precise location and tab to click on to update. Considering previous experience with update drills in PT and other software, I am antsy about making a bad thing worse.
So- suggestions?
Old 08-21-2017, 07:29 AM

Default Re: PT 12 hair puller

Do you mean "i5 processor" as opposed to a 5 core? The i5 is not the best CPU for Pro Tools.

12.5 is not the best Pro Tools version for VI use. I would go back to 12.4 or onward to the latest version.

Read up on the dual buffer in Pro Tools.

8GB of RAM is not enough for heavy VI usage?

Are you running the latest focusrite software?

Are you running the latest version of Play?

What version of Windows are you using?

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 08-21-2017, 08:19 AM

Using latest version of play (checked before i "tweaked" (!))
Using latest version of focusrite driver
Using Core i5
I plan to update- the readon for my comment on update drill
I understand this is not the ultimate hardware arrangement, but it suffices for my editing work. Heavy lifting is done on the the studio computer
Old 08-21-2017, 08:23 AM

Using windows 7.
Understand that this system has been working acceptably (with the occasional crash, to be sure) for a couple of years. Problems showed up after I was "improving" settings in Play for HW Strings.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:48 AM

I stopped using Play in Pro Tools, so I won't be of much help as it looks like this may be a Play issue.

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 08-21-2017, 12:05 PM

Need at least 16GB of ram. 8GB is not enough.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:24 PM

Been using 8 gb for a couple years. Is usually adequate if I don't have too many plugs running at the same time. For what I do almost never have more than about 9 instances of all VI's, and then I bounce the really heavy parts to audio.
RAM is not an issue- it works for my needs as is. PLAY is not an issue either- projects not using it are equally distorted, though my concern is that in changing settings in Play there is some secret handshaking going on that made changes in the PT set-up.
Oddly, some audio tracks play okay while others in the same project simultaneously distort to the max.
Adjusting playback settings makes no difference. I'm running out of things to "adjust".
Old 08-21-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyrouse View Post
Been using 8 gb for a couple years. Is usually adequate if I don't have too many plugs running at the same time. For what I do almost never have more than about 9 instances of all VI's, and then I bounce the really heavy parts to audio.
RAM is not an issue- it works for my needs as is. PLAY is not an issue either- projects not using it are equally distorted, though my concern is that in changing settings in Play there is some secret handshaking going on that made changes in the PT set-up.
Oddly, some audio tracks play okay while others in the same project simultaneously distort to the max.
Adjusting playback settings makes no difference. I'm running out of things to "adjust".
Got it!
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:16 PM

I think relief has been found.
I updated to PT 12.8 ( no small chore- with iLok hassle and compulsory windows update, which I may roll back, took right at 3 hours) things are sounding okay once again.
I am of the opinion that in my "enhancing" of Play settings, something triggered a problem in PT settings. No matter how I did it, any adjustment in Hardware just would not stay changed- updated focusrite drivers two or three times, Play settings ( a lotta "agains" there) re-installed PT 12.5.whatever a couple times- the update to 12.8 and accepting the Windows update appear to have resolved it- I don't really know what I did to cause it, and can only hope it stays fixed.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:44 AM

Glad to hear your up and running.

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs

www.metrostudios.com