Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2017, 03:23 AM

Default Re: iLok freaking out today: Authorization Exception

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
Pace isn't Avid. If you're going to be snarky, at least you can be snarky at the right entity. This isn't Avid's snafu to apologize for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You saying for sure you know Avid did not know this issue existed before it hit customers?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2017, 04:00 AM

Scary thing for me is and I think a couple of people kind of mentioned it is: how do machines that are not connected to the internet know about this? Does this episode mean that so-called permanent license asserts on an iLok are not permanent in that after a certain while they go inert due to the ILM s/w? Crappy deal if you tell me.

iLok/Pace should have sent out an email blast telling people that there's an update and that certain s/w may cease to function without said update. Or at least put up on the iLok home page such a notice. I don't think this was even mentioned in the 'what's new in this update?' on the site.

QAPLA!
Old 08-18-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
True, and that info was included in the warning dialog. I'm still asking if customers for some reason didn't see that, so wouldn't have known what the solution was.
The only information I got in a popup was that pro tools could not read authorizations from the ilok. There was nothing that said an update was needed. Then i got several other popups that said something about HEAT or something. Wish i could have taken a screenshot, but I figured it out before I knew I would have needed it.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglesworth View Post
The only information I got in a popup was that pro tools could not read authorizations from the ilok. There was nothing that said an update was needed. Then i got several other popups that said something about HEAT or something. Wish i could have taken a screenshot, but I figured it out before I knew I would have needed it.
Thanks for the reply. The dialog (for PT or plugins) should have been similar to this one which directs you to go to ilok.com for an update. Do you recall if it was a different dialog/popup?
Old 08-19-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Thanks for the reply. The dialog (for PT or plugins) should have been similar to this one which directs you to go to ilok.com for an update. Do you recall if it was a different dialog/popup?
The error message I received was indeed different. It did not have the red symbol. It was a Pro Tools icon. That I can say for sure. The pop ups that said something about HEAT had that red symbol in them. But I don't recall them saying anything about updating anything.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:52 AM

Top Jimmy -
I know this was a iLok/Pace issue, but actually it is a AVID issue, because you still choose to use them to make your software work, so actually it IS YOUR issue. I have 4 Pro Tools systems, with over $20,000 in hardware, yet I still need to plug in a 3rd party dongle to work?

And when all the users are shocked these jackasses coded into their software to time-kill the functionality without warning is not acceptable. My 2 computers we use on tour are not ever online, so that means they CODED it to die.. which is NOT acceptable, and you and your company needs to express to them that they must NEVER do that again.

I was at a show in front of thousands of people and had to figure it out why 2 computers and 3 iloks stopped working. No warning... not acceptable.

Then, for you from avid to post some sly remark about staying up to date with software, as-if all our users are idiots for not updating, is not cool.
Take a step back and realize that almost every release that has come from Avid has been riddled with bugs that render our work flow useless for a few hours or days until you release a bug fix. Numerous times that has happened. And then when you call to get support, you need a certain code to speak with oz and then they have to call you back. Might be a few days. All because we ran a "update". Avid is the only company where 99% of the user base is afraid to update when the updates are released, for fear of working with stability.

You easily could have send out a email to the user base to let us know about this.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thheaven View Post
Top Jimmy -
I know this was a iLok/Pace issue, but actually it is a AVID issue, because you still choose to use them to make your software work, so actually it IS YOUR issue. I have 4 Pro Tools systems, with over $20,000 in hardware, yet I still need to plug in a 3rd party dongle to work?

And when all the users are shocked these jackasses coded into their software to time-kill the functionality without warning is not acceptable. My 2 computers we use on tour are not ever online, so that means they CODED it to die.. which is NOT acceptable, and you and your company needs to express to them that they must NEVER do that again.

I was at a show in front of thousands of people and had to figure it out why 2 computers and 3 iloks stopped working. No warning... not acceptable.

Then, for you from avid to post some sly remark about staying up to date with software, as-if all our users are idiots for not updating, is not cool.
Take a step back and realize that almost every release that has come from Avid has been riddled with bugs that render our work flow useless for a few hours or days until you release a bug fix. Numerous times that has happened. And then when you call to get support, you need a certain code to speak with oz and then they have to call you back. Might be a few days. All because we ran a "update". Avid is the only company where 99% of the user base is afraid to update when the updates are released, for fear of working with stability.

You easily could have send out a email to the user base to let us know about this.
Top Jimmy is NOT an Avid employee; only Jeffro is so understand that.

Also understand that this affected not only Avid but other developers as well as I read it. Are you going to level the same charges against them as well on whatever public forum they might have?

And it's for things like this that you should have a non-computer way of recording so that when there are computer issues you have a totally separate system as a backup. Or if you only have computers have a different daw on the other machine that doesn't use iLok.

QAPLA!
Old 08-21-2017, 02:49 AM

No... I am addressing Avid, who is CHOOSING to use isuk to operate. They need to drop this dumb dongle to operate the software...
Avid has the power to tell iLok to NEVER EVER AGAIN code your software to timeout on a certain date and time, so everyone gets stuck with no warning.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thheaven View Post
No... I am addressing Avid, who is CHOOSING to use isuk to operate. They need to drop this dumb dongle to operate the software...
Avid has the power to tell iLok to NEVER EVER AGAIN code your software to timeout on a certain date and time, so everyone gets stuck with no warning.
I know you're addressing Avid but what about all your other plugins that use iLok? This didn't affect just Avid you know.

QAPLA!
Old 08-23-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Wow, imagine that.... in 2017 users might need to spend 30 seconds updating software.... what is the world coming to?
Great attitude from someone representing the company/community ?

The better question would be, why would iLok place a timebomb on a piece of code on an iteration of their driver/licence manager that has been working perfectly which has crippled systems without warning and requiring clients to go searching for the cause , instead of giving them prior heads up.

Why hasn't AVID send a notice out to all registered users warning of the possibility of the time bomb.

I have been contacted by multiple clients this week who have been hit by this licensing issue , none were forewarned or had any idea of the cause, and I am expecting more today.