Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 06-18-2019, 12:35 PM

Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilterDecay View Post
avid is on a tight rope. Just lol if anyone thinks they could survive a mass exodus. They have like 55 mill in cash and 200 mill in short term debt. As much as we want to think they have us by the balls someone has them by the balls worse.
I suspect a lot of people don't need the latest and greatest from AVID. I like seeing the new version numbers and such, but I can survive just fine by freezing my system. I really haven't needed to update PT since version 11.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:37 PM

A subscription plan for a DAW is a non-starter for me. Too many things can go wrong - melted servers, interweb glitches, hackerz. Hell, even Google Calendar went down today. I paid $399 in 2013 for a perpetual PT vanilla license, then $99/year for the last 5 years just for updates - $894. Now they're jacking that up to $199/year?

I don't want to quit Pro Tools. I LOVE Pro Tools. But the price they're asking to be able to use the same software I've already paid for is too much. Avid want to believe this is what the industry wants, but I pay for perpetual because I need stability. Aside from PT's own stability issues (PT crashed today after I simply tried to move a channel 3 slots to the left in the mix window. Awesome.), I cannot and will not depend on the reliability of a subscription product for my livelihood. One server in FarAwayLand goes down and I can't meet my deadline. Unacceptable.

If I had to make a choice today, I'd buy 2-3 years of service plans at $99 and then start looking at other DAWs. We'll see how this shakes out over the next two weeks, but that's my plan.

Also, Avid, thanks a ton for doing this during quarterly-self-employment-estimated-taxes-are-due month.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnjlee View Post
I suspect a lot of people don't need the latest and greatest from AVID. I like seeing the new version numbers and such, but I can survive just fine by freezing my system. I really haven't needed to update PT since version 11.
yes. If avid crashes and burns tomorrow i can sit on my current versions until the industry figures it out. Thats how I will always operate. Same with iloks always online thing. I asked them if I sign up for the service what happens if they go out of business? No response. OK so I wont buy that service then.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:47 PM

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion View Post
We have to remember who made Pro Tools the industry standard it was. If you really want to send your voice to Avid close your wallet.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:52 PM

So I am currently paying $99/yr for my Pro Tools subscription.

Am I reading it correctly that the price is going up to $199/yr?

Thats more than a 100% increase in the price - how can that be fair?

But then it says this...

Quote:
In addition, we have decided that customers currently subscribing to Media Composer, Pro Tools and Sibelius will not have a price increase, however they must continue to keep their subscription current in order to maintain their existing price.
So does that mean as long as I pay the $99 yearly it won't go up?

I am confused.

- Dan
Old 06-18-2019, 12:53 PM

Yes
Old 06-18-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnjlee View Post
Also consider this... Avid wants to embrace Adobes CC, save one problem... price. Lets talk value proposition....

For 52.99 a month, you get ALL of Adobes apps. That is a reasonable price. Now contrast that to AVIDs subscription model of 29.00 per month for ONE app. This has #fail written all over it.

Perhaps AVID should sell PT to Adobe. At least I could get Photoshop, Acrobat, Premier, AND Pro Tools for 52.99 a month.

https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/...MQYMW&mv=other
Yeah...I've been on the adobe subscription for years now, and honestly have no complaints about it. The "industry standard" Photoshop+Lightroon for $10 a month. Oh, and no penalty if for some reason I decided to not use it for a bit.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebee62 View Post
Someone let me know if I have this right. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Currently I have a PT SW perpetual license. $99 per year
After July 1 that would be $199

If I Crossgrade to a Sub annual commit $99. Monthly $9.99

After a year does the crossgrade sub go to $299 Annual and $29.99 monthly? Or will it stay at $99 annual $9.99 monthly

Thanks for clearing my confusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

it's supposed to stay at $99 annual but afaik nothing will prevent them from jacking up the price later. Also you won't have your perpetual license anymore, so if you stop paying the sub, no more Pro Tools for you.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitsville View Post
it's supposed to stay at $99 annual but afaik nothing will prevent them from jacking up the price later. Also you won't have your perpetual license anymore, so if you stop paying the sub, no more Pro Tools for you.

Gotcha Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-18-2019, 01:28 PM

For those of you thinking about upgrading, renewing, etc., you can save about 10% today and tomorrow with Sweetwater's Gift Card deal.

Basically, at Sweetwater, you buy a gift card (e-gift or regular), and they add 10% of the value to it.

So in my case I did the PT Ultimate renewal plan, which is $399. After calculating, I bought an e-gift card for $363, which added the 10% value, making it equal $399.30. I waited about 5 minutes to get the e-gift card code emailed to me.

Then I went on the site again, and bought my PT Ultimate renewal with the gift card code as payment. I then was emailed the activation code a few minutes later, and entered the code in my Avid account, and my plan was renewed and up to date thru 2020.

HOWEVER, one thing to note, I did not realize that Sweetwater now automatically applies sales tax based on where you live (they must have changed this recently). So what you want to actually do, is figure out what your product will cost with that tagged on (just add to cart, get to the payment page where the amount will show, and then back out and remove from cart). So what I should have done was a gift card for something like $388, which then would have added 10% and brought me to what I needed to be ($425.93). Instead, the difference was just charged to my normal saved credit card.

So if you're going to do this, be sure to factor in the sales tax.

I realize Avid has run 20% off specials in the past, but it may be a while before they do that again, so this method at least gives you almost 10% off for those of you trying to make a decision based on this new information.

Just to review, you first buy the e-gift card as one completed transaction, wait a few minutes to get the gift card code emailed to you, then go on again and buy your PT renewal/upgrade/whatever using the gift card code as payment.

Please note that this gift card special through Sweetwater has already been going a week or two, and is only lasting through tomorrow (the 19th), so you'll want to jump on it.

Of course you can use this method to buy other stuff on Sweetwater (with a few exclusions) up to $2000 I think. I just thought I'd mention it in regards to software renewals, etc.