Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 04-20-2017, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12 HD Annual Renew $399 again?

WUP (Also a big software-lament)

4. Waves, updating Capped per system. Renewals begins another time-period without penalty
(Tech updating as needed per version)
Old 04-20-2017, 05:48 PM

$399 per year for the updates alone is not worth the price. If there were can't miss/must have upgrades coupled with stability assurances $399 is the most that should be charged. $999 for reinstatement only forces users to delay reinstating for more than 2 cycles. Especially when hardware has been purchased for thousands.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
$399 is "OK" IF Avid delivers a stable 12.8 version without -9173 errors and less midi issues imho of course.
I fully agree.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-20-2017, 06:53 PM

I am planning something like skipping 2 years and if something interesting comes up I get back on the track, if not, I can go on as I am. Unfortunately I am stuck with all this Avid gear I have. I love Pro Tools but I really think that HD could not cost more than 199. 399 for surround? I don't even use it. I have to pay 399 because I have spent thousands on avid gear and C24. My penalty is being loyal.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:25 PM

I'd happily pay $399 every year if we were actually getting the promised regular software updates with no bugs. The last signicant release was nearly 7 months ago.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
WUP (Also a big software-lament)

4. Waves, updating Capped per system. Renewals begins another time-period without penalty
(Tech updating as needed per version)
Yes, I think that's the same model as Sonar really isn't it? (Tangent - I've never really understood what the WUP is for. (a) everything works, and they rarely issue new features and (b) I seem to be able to keep things up to date without it anyway. Never had it, never missed it.)

Avid really are in a class of their own here. For anyone in post in particular, I strongly recommend spending your annual Avid Tax on updating your existing version of iZotope RX to RX6 instead. And spending the rest on a good meal out.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 04-21-2017, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Opinions do vary, but we can all understand there should be some penalty for not upgrading when you have to. With that said, IMO, double price should be the cap.
"Have to?"
Old 04-21-2017, 03:03 AM

I'm not going to argue after this post. We all have a price point which is okay. If something costs more, you don't buy. Simple as that.

As for PT prices, I'd say Avid marketing has worded it badly. To begin with, they should have said that the price of a 12-month HD software support is 999 and loyal customers who order support for next year while their plan is still active get a 60% discount. If you think it this way, 399/year doesn't sound so bad.

Ugh.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I'm not going to argue after this post. We all have a price point which is okay. If something costs more, you don't buy. Simple as that.

As for PT prices, I'd say Avid marketing has worded it badly. To begin with, they should have said that the price of a 12-month HD software support is 999 and loyal customers who order support for next year while their plan is still active get a 60% discount. If you think it this way, 399/year doesn't sound so bad.

Ugh.
...and indeed many of us aren't going to buy it, and it is indeed as simple as that.

I don't think the rewording would have made the slightest difference. Many of us have woken up to the simple fact that we're not getting remotely close to $400 of value out of what we're getting. Yes I'm a pro, yes I use it in my work routinely, yes I can afford it. It simply is not worth the ongoing bugs / beta testing and the lack of anything new. Better spend the time mastering the bugs that are there rather than firefighting all the new ones, and spending the cash far more productively elsewhere

At this point, Avid need to spend serious time and money on the repair and development of PT, and then a bit of time and money on a charm offensive to win customers back. I'll be able to work on 12.x for many, many years to come without issue - they need to convince me to give them another go.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 04-21-2017, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
...and indeed many of us aren't going to buy it, and it is indeed as simple as that.

At this point, Avid need to spend serious time and money on the repair and development of PT, and then a bit of time and money on a charm offensive to win customers back. I'll be able to work on 12.x for many, many years to come without issue - they need to convince me to give them another go.
Reading this, it's almost as if he knows how bad it's been for the past few years, and is claiming that brighter days are ahead. I hope he's right.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.