Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-12-2020, 08:14 AM

Default Migrate Pro Tools First to Pro Tools 11?

Hello. I have been using Pro Tools First for approx. one year. Running Windows 10 on Lenovo 8 GB Ram. Good computer. I have about 20 projects in varying states of completion that I do not want to lose. I store all locally. While I am largely happy with PT First, the lack of ability to export/backup projects and the 16 track limit are issues.

I have a friend who has given me his copy of Pro Tools 11 including the original discs, iLok, activation card, manual, everything. He is no longer using. I do not know if he has uninstalled, but can find out.

Questions:
1) Can I legally install this? I think the answer should be 'yes' since he purchased and is no longer using. He no longer has the iLok.

2) Manual says I should uninstall any previous Pro Tools before installing PT 11. I'm real scared of this. Fear I could lose everything. Is uninstalling PT First absolutely necessary? I'd prefer to have both PT First and PT 11 installed independently with either available. I could continue working on existing projects in PT First and/or migrate them to PT 11. New projects start in PT 11 going forward. Possible?

3) Will PT 11 recognize my current PT First projects?

My overriding concern is the safety of my current projects. I know simply installing on a different computer would remove all doubt. I also recognize that PT 11 is an old version and that I'd probably be better off just buying the current version. But, I'm on a budget and don't need a lot more capability. So, appreciate any advice. thanks.