Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > The Drum Room

Old 03-18-2012, 04:35 PM

Question CPU problem with NI Studio Drummer - how about SSD4?

Hi guys,

i have addictive drums for about 3 years and wanted an alternative...so I bought studio drummer from native instruments.
But i have big cpu spikes and even with 512 samples it creates stops and errors.
I have no fun with it...tired every setup in Kontakt5 and in pro tools. every other VI (also in Kontakt5) works fine.

Mac Pro 2x2,8 Quad / 6 GB / 10.7.3 / PT 10.0.1

I read similar post at the NI-forum, but only unhappy user without a comment from NI.

So i'm thinking of to try out ssd 4. I already have trigger from steven slate and like it a lot.

But how is ssd4 on cpu with pro tools?
(Don't want to buy another "problem" drum sampler.)

Thanks for your feedback
Old 03-19-2012, 11:58 PM

Default Re: CPU problem with NI Studio Drummer - how about SSD4?

Hey man, it seems its not just you... I see you're experiencing on Mac the same problem I have on PC. I think there is no doubt it is a problem on Kontakt 5 or Studio Drummer "engine" or something..

I use Addictive drums (excellent software, no issues at all) and then wanted to use an alternative VI drums software (and of course took advantage of -%50 on NI).
I have to say SD sounds great with lot of options but it's useless if I can't keep it running for less than 10 minutes...

I have updated SD to 5.0.2 but same thing...
Old 03-24-2012, 02:34 PM

Hi dogmeatt,
thanks for your story. yes, it is horrible and as you said...it seems it is the engine of SD. If have no problems with Kontakt5 and other VIs. very strange and frustrating that there is no response from NI.
i remember one post were someone ask NI "on with pc/mac rig they had tested SD without problems" - no answer....funny but sadly truth.

so i will stick to AD for a while now. maybe in some weeks i will try SSD4.

If you find a way to get SD work...let me know

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmeatt View Post
Hey man, it seems its not just you... I see you're experiencing on Mac the same problem I have on PC. I think there is no doubt it is a problem on Kontakt 5 or Studio Drummer "engine" or something..

I use Addictive drums (excellent software, no issues at all) and then wanted to use an alternative VI drums software (and of course took advantage of -%50 on NI).
I have to say SD sounds great with lot of options but it's useless if I can't keep it running for less than 10 minutes...

Old 07-12-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmeatt View Post

At least you can get it to run. It makes no sound, here. It works fine in Sonar. it must be a compatibility thing between PT and SD.
PT 2018; Nuendo 8.?; Studio One 3; former Sonar and Sequoia user .... GENELEC 1031A, AVANTONE MIX CUBES (Active); Sibelius 7.0; Dorico; Mac Mini 2.6 GHz Core i7, OS X 10.12.2 Sierra; 16GB RAM; 480 GB System SSD; 1 TB 7200 rpm Audio; 3 TB samples; Roland A-800 Pro controller; GOOD BYE PEE SEA!!
Old 07-15-2012, 01:14 AM

I am using Kontakt 5 with Studio Drummer too. Everytime you load Studio Drummer or any other program in Kontakt it automatically determines the amount of RAM it needs to run. Well, I have noticed it's never enough. So in the Options pannel set the amount of RAM manually. Set it to 3GB. Start a project with Kontakt only loaded. First load the Light version to see if it runs smoothly. If so load the Full Version of Studio Drummer. If you get spikes load more RAM. Keep in mind, that in further use you will need RAM for other plugins and programs in background. So you might consider buying extra RAM for your computer.