Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-25-2020, 05:06 AM
Chevron Chevron is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Europe
Posts: 17
Default Bounce Butler = Awesome

A buddy of mine turned me on to the super cool Bounce Butler software a few days ago, thus I am already using it for automatically exporting audio files, mixes and stems from Pro Tools sessions - and happily subscribed to the software, I am surprised there is not more talk about it...

I believe Reaper may have something like this already, but why o why has Pro Tools not got this. Especially Ultimate which is used by a lot of prolific mix engineers and post-production houses...?


That aside, it is really cool software and well worth checking out https://www.bouncebutler.com/
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-25-2020, 05:59 AM
JingleDjango JingleDjango is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 166
Default Re: Bounce Butler = Awesome

Looks expensive. Subscription model and tiered pricing in this case seems like a bit of a piss-take.

Ultimate can offline bounce a bunch of outputs at once (not multiple session files, though). It's up to the user to route their stems appropriately. I print stems in real time using PT Native. Since I use UAD2 inserts in my music mixes the offline bounce speed is rarely greater than 1.5x real-time anyway.

I bet this has applications in post that I wouldn't be aware of in my niche but I will say that offline bouncing is a trap. If you aren't listening to your bounces before delivery then you're setting yourself up to look bad. Guaranteed, I would make a mistake setting up the save states, leave the studio and later find out my super convenient unsupervised bounces needed to be redone.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-25-2020, 06:28 AM
midnightrambler midnightrambler is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: London, UK
Posts: 2,433
Default Re: Bounce Butler = Awesome

I'd have to see it in action, I can't see how this would help my particular workflow at all.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-25-2020, 07:22 AM
Chevron Chevron is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Europe
Posts: 17
Default Re: Bounce Butler = Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by JingleDjango View Post
Looks expensive. Subscription model and tiered pricing in this case seems like a bit of a piss-take.

Ultimate can offline bounce a bunch of outputs at once (not multiple session files, though). It's up to the user to route their stems appropriately. I print stems in real time using PT Native. Since I use UAD2 inserts in my music mixes the offline bounce speed is rarely greater than 1.5x real-time anyway.

I bet this has applications in post that I wouldn't be aware of in my niche but I will say that offline bouncing is a trap. If you aren't listening to your bounces before delivery then you're setting yourself up to look bad. Guaranteed, I would make a mistake setting up the save states, leave the studio and later find out my super convenient unsupervised bounces needed to be redone.
I think it is expensive for what it is, but I don't know the background work involved to get it to work securely - I doubt you do either. That said, $50 a month to be able to bounce stems and mixes when I am not in the studio is totally worth it for me and saves me at least 3 or 4 hours a month. I do 25 to 40 mixes every month, and with each mix is a bounce of full mix, live mix, instrumental (which can't be done via busses) and an acappella - and often even more variations. Time saved is money saved...

Sure, listen to the full mix in realtime, but are you really going to listen to all the variations and not use offline?

My main point though, is why does Pro Tools not have something like this? I believe Reaper does....
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-25-2020, 07:23 AM
Chevron Chevron is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Europe
Posts: 17
Default Re: Bounce Butler = Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
I'd have to see it in action, I can't see how this would help my particular workflow at all.
Fair play, works very well for me. Already this week I have lined up 2 to 3 hours of exporting. All done when I was out of the studio :)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-29-2020, 07:42 AM
JingleDjango JingleDjango is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 166
Default Re: Bounce Butler = Awesome

I'm gonna see if I can patch together the same functionality using AppleScript and Keyboard Maestro (minus text alerts but I can do email).
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-29-2020, 07:43 AM
Chevron Chevron is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Europe
Posts: 17
Default Re: Bounce Butler = Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by JingleDjango View Post
I'm gonna see if I can patch together the same functionality using AppleScript and Keyboard Maestro (minus text alerts but I can do email).
Let us know how it goes...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-29-2020, 10:24 AM
capt kirk capt kirk is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: vancouver
Posts: 490
Default Re: Bounce Butler = Awesome

Anyone who doesnt listen to things thru before sending them to clients deserves everything they get.....
__________________
www.kfaudio.ca
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-17-2020, 02:04 PM
Rectifried Rectifried is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 399
Default Re: Bounce Butler = Awesome

its a good idea I tested it.. unfortunately with a bounce hang.. the whole thing ended..
getting a lot of bounce hangs...
good thing in general
but the pricing was more than I need now.


ableton has a pretty good multi bounce
drop down options
__________________
Hal Cragin On the DUC Since The Year 2000 AD

PT 2020.11, macpro 12 core trashcan 64 gig ram 10.14 mojave, . TBlt UA Apollo16 all SSD's [samsungpro],
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-18-2020, 12:42 AM
Chevron Chevron is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Europe
Posts: 17
Default Re: Bounce Butler = Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectifried View Post
its a good idea I tested it.. unfortunately with a bounce hang.. the whole thing ended..
getting a lot of bounce hangs...
good thing in general
but the pricing was more than I need now.


ableton has a pretty good multi bounce
drop down options
Get in touch with support, I have found they are extremely helpful and a good chance they might be able to help you out.

For the recently released Pro Tools 2020.11 only the Beta version works, because of the new bounce window - the Beta has been solid for me though and also adds MP3 export when bouncing WAVs. Is it possible you have PT 2020.11 with the release version of Bounce Butler? The release version would hang when tried it with PT 2020.11...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Awesome YYR123 Eleven Rack 2 12-26-2013 12:14 PM
PT8 is awesome! brucecoughlin Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 1 12-17-2008 06:00 PM
PT8 looks awesome!!! lifer Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win) 0 10-03-2008 06:20 AM
Butler James Drake Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 0 03-28-2008 04:24 AM
awesome 6.9 bug. gomi Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 9 05-11-2005 09:33 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:42 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com