Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2008, 12:23 PM

Default Backing up Sessions

I purchased Pro Tools M-Powered in November 2006 and have been saving all the files to an Maxtor One Touch III 650G external HD. It suddenly quit a couple of days ago and I lost all the work I have ever done in Pro Tools. It re-started once and I am hoping it happens once more so I can pull all the files off it while I can.

I was wishing that Pro Tools would work with a Raid 1 set-up but I guess that is not the case.

I was wondering what would be the fastest/easiest way to back-up Pro Tools sessions. Could you explain the set-up and how you go about backing up the Pro Tools sessions.

Thank you for your assistance.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:31 AM

Default Re: Backing up Sessions

Two things,

1 Make sure that the actual drive is no good before deciding all the work is lost. I have had 3 enclosures go bad from another manufacturer (needless to say we don't buy from them anymore). The actual drives were all ok, it was the firewire bridge in the enclosure that was no good. You may be able to recover your data.

2 As you now know, drives fail. Even if you back up to a drive you should be also backing up to CD-R or DVD-R. Also, I only back up one job per media. That way if it fails I only lose one job, not all my work.

There is a long tread on disk archives in another section of the DUC, I think in Post and Surround. Check it out. Also do a search, there have been many discussions of this that you will find informative.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:16 PM

Default Re: Backing up Sessions

Thanks CLee,

I'll check out the actual drive more. I already tried changing the usual items like cable and different connection combinations.

I will probably just start saving to DVD at the end of each day..that is what ever was worked on since the last back up. I really want to look further in setting up my own server on a computer at another location and then save the days work through internet to another computer that I own personally. With broadband, it should be do-able.

Best Regards