Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2009, 06:06 PM

Default Going to buy a new Desktop PC, concerned with PT8 Vista Compatibility

To: Digidesign and members

I'm going to buy a Desktop PC within the next month or two and am concerned with Pro Tools 8's compatibility with Vista.

Unfortunately, most computers now come with Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium installed.

Digidesign says that Windows Vista 64-Bit (any version) is not supported with Pro Tools 8

1) Has anybody successfully installed and used Pro Tools 8 with Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium

2) Digidesign: Do you plan to fix this issue with Windows Vista 64-Bit?
Old 01-07-2009, 09:18 PM

Default Re: Going to buy a new Desktop PC, concerned with PT8 Vista Compatibility

64 bit is NOT supported, even though some say they've made it work, it isn't very reliable and you're totally on your own with any tech issues on an unsupported o.s.
this will take a major re-coding, i.e. don't hold your breath.

Not many people are recommending Vista, either. XP is the most stable in the majority opinion.

Other issue....an off-the-shelf PC is NOT the best way to go. Better to get the proven parts and build it yourself.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:21 PM

Default Re: Going to buy a new Desktop PC, concerned with PT8 Vista Compatibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
64 bit is NOT supported, even though some say they've made it work, it isn't very reliable and you're totally on your own with any tech issues on an unsupported o.s.
this will take a major re-coding, i.e. don't hold your breath.

Not many people are recommending Vista, either. XP is the most stable in the majority opinion.

Other issue....an off-the-shelf PC is NOT the best way to go. Better to get the proven parts and build it yourself.

What he said!!

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-08-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
Agreed. If you have the ability (or patience to learn) to build your own system, you'll likely end up with a faster machine at half the price of what you'd pay in stores.

Check out the sticky threads for some proven systems that other DUCers have built. They'll give you a good idea of cost and even a list of components...

BTW - You can get an OEM version of Windows XP Pro SP3 now for under $100. I'd recommend going with this until Windows 7 is out and proven stable with PT.
www.voodoopilot.com
Old 01-08-2009, 09:55 AM

What they said!

Even if you're not computer savvy, consider learning how to be. You'll be much happier knowing exactly what's going on by building your own system.

If you really don't want to learn, get a PC from Sweetwater.com and at least you'll have technical support on it from them as well as from this forum.
Eleven Rack (live rig and studio rig!!)
Win7 * 003R * PT 11
Old 01-08-2009, 10:22 AM

Again, what they said.

As for the statement that most off the shelf computers are coming with Vista Home 64 bit preloaded, I haven't seen that. Most of what I see is Vista Home 32 bit. Vista 32 bit works with PT8. Although previous versions of Protools definitely worked better with Windows XP than Windows Vista (again 32 bit only), Protools 8 seems to have closed the gap. The general concensus is still that XP performs better (according to DVerb Tests) but still the gap is closing.

Best Solution: Build the Protools Computer from known working components.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 01-08-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beats0808 View Post
To: Digidesign and members

I'm going to buy a Desktop PC within the next month or two and am concerned with Pro Tools 8's compatibility with Vista.

Unfortunately, most computers now come with Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium installed.

Digidesign says that Windows Vista 64-Bit (any version) is not supported with Pro Tools 8

1) Has anybody successfully installed and used Pro Tools 8 with Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium

2) Digidesign: Do you plan to fix this issue with Windows Vista 64-Bit?
hit me up if you are lookin' to have one built

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff