Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2014, 03:09 AM

Default Digidesign 882 I/O - Which PCI card?

Hello to the Community,

This is my first question, and i'm looking forward to a helping answer!

I bought a Digidesign 882 I/O on ebay. Sorry for this stupidity but i have no idea how to connect it to my WIN 7 System.

I've looked it up but i just found out, that you can use a farm card or a dsp card!
Are there other possibilities on pci-cards (like any scsi 50 pin pci card) or other ways to connect it? And where, except ebay, can i buy them!

Thanks for your replies!

System Specs:

M-Audio Fast Track Pro
Cubase 5.1
Win 7 64 bit
8GB RAM
Intel core i5 2320 3gHz
Mainboard
ASRock B75 Pro3
6 x USB (2 x 3.0)
Old 05-14-2014, 08:44 AM

Default Re: Digidesign 882 I/O - Which PCI card?

You need a Mix Core card (10+ years) or a d24+Farm card (15+ years) to use an 882
Pro Tools HD 6.4.1 software was the last version to support those cards and was EOL about 8 years and is not compatible with Windows 7

So in summery, you can not use the 882

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 05-14-2014, 09:49 AM

Thanks for the quick response! Great.

I just have a few Things left to ask.
If I just put in a 50pin PCI card and connect it to
The 882 I/O, and use cubase to somehow contact
The interface, will it possibly work? Or if I get my hands on
Some of your mentioned PCI cards ?
I'm asking because I read a thread about how someone
Connected his 882 I/O to cubase!
Sorry if my questions are stupid but I'm really would be happy
To record in multitrack!

Thank you!
Old 05-14-2014, 10:09 AM

there is no driver for the cards for Windows 7 that I know of
the drivers that were writes for those cards are Windows NT to XP

Plus the 882 wasn't the best when it was new and is a total dog of a converter by current standards, especialy given that you are not using it with a legacy Pro Tools system

You would be much better served getting something from RME, UA , Lynx, or one of the other makers of quality converters

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 05-14-2014, 10:16 AM

Ok thank you. My idea was to put a general 50 pin card into my system and try to connect it to cubase! But maybe this is impossible!
Maybe it would be better to buy a recommended interface you told! But i bought this one on ebay for 15 bucks so no loss! But thank you again! Really... Great Community!
Old 05-18-2014, 06:57 AM

The only way to properly connect to a Win 7 system would be using a HD Core Card ($200) hooked up via the legacy port on a 192 analog ($600) or a 192 Digital ($350) using Pro Tools HD software version 9 or better (If you can purchase it, $700-$1500. Not usually available for sale without a system). In the end it would be useless except for maybe headphone sends. There are way better options for way less money. I think I have one in a box somewhere and more than likely that's where it's gonna stay. Sorry.
Gigabyte RX580 8 Gb
Win 10 Pro

15" Mid-2015 MBP 2.2 GHz i7 16 Gb RAM
512 Gb Flash Drive - OS X 10.14.6
Old 05-19-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qatqon View Post
Ok thank you. My idea was to put a general 50 pin card into my system and try to connect it to cubase! But maybe this is impossible!
Maybe it would be better to buy a recommended interface you told! But i bought this one on ebay for 15 bucks so no loss! But thank you again! Really... Great Community!
These interfaces will only work with the cards they were specifically designed for. There are no "generic 50 pin cards" that will work with them.

The cards that work with the 882 are made by digidesign and use a DB60 connection and a special cable that has 50-pin on the interface end and the 60 pin at the card end. You need at least one of these cables(roughly $50-75 on ebay), and a compatible digidesign PCI core card. You would also need Pro Tools 6.4.1 or earlier, which is no longer available. The 882 is almost 20 years old, and almost everything hardware and software that works with it is 15+ years old and getting very hard to find. I would not invest any money in these old systems if you don't already own most of what you would need.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 03-29-2015, 12:32 AM

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?

So long as the Midi Event Sample is recorded and saved automatically then yes the tree falling does make a sound. And you can use it to have a whole keyboard of trees falling.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:51 AM

I'm a total newby to digital recording. I have a billion years of Analog experience but I recently purchased two of these 882 units and I have a SCSI card on the way. I am very computer geek however and so is my son. Been building my own since 1984. The SCSI is 68 pin and the units are 50 pin and there is no problem to get cables to connect the two. The problem will come when I try to get the crap to work. The Card I have coming has dual outlets and is brand new so hopefully it will have Windows 7 drivers with it. Whether it will make the 882's work and let Pro Tools load is yet to be seen. If I can't make them work then I guess I wasted my time with Pro Tools and I will just have to resort to using something like Audacity or Band In A Box. One way or another I need to get my home studio up and running. The Sound Room is finished and all the equipment is in place.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankinNewhart View Post
I'm a total newby to digital recording. I have a billion years of Analog experience but I recently purchased two of these 882 units and I have a SCSI card on the way. I am very computer geek however and so is my son. Been building my own since 1984. The SCSI is 68 pin and the units are 50 pin and there is no problem to get cables to connect the two. The problem will come when I try to get the crap to work. The Card I have coming has dual outlets and is brand new so hopefully it will have Windows 7 drivers with it. Whether it will make the 882's work and let Pro Tools load is yet to be seen. If I can't make them work then I guess I wasted my time with Pro Tools and I will just have to resort to using something like Audacity or Band In A Box. One way or another I need to get my home studio up and running. The Sound Room is finished and all the equipment is in place.
A SCSI card will NOT work with these interfaces. There are no cards or drivers that will work with this interface on windows 7. As stated earlier in the thread, the only cards that work with 882 are digidesign PCI cards from 10-15 years ago, and these cards will require an old OS an old pro tools version. The 882 is literally 20 years old now, and hasn't been supported for 11 years. It's really not worth trying to get one of these working in 2015 unless you owned one before and already have most of the stuff you'd need to get it running.