Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-13-2010, 05:48 PM

Default Pro Tools placing sound EARLY??

Hello,

Today I noticed the strangest thing: ProTools is placing a recording 5020 (yes, 5020) samples BEFORE it should!

Or, Am I missunderstanding something? Am I too tired today??

This is how I noticed it:

1) I started a new session, just to test a new mic I got yesterday.
2) I created 1 audio track (no plugins, no routings, nothing, directly from the Digi002 input to Monitors), 1 Master track and 1 click track.
3) I started singing (with headphones) while listening to the click).
4) When playing back the recording, I could hear that the click I was hearing in my headphones was bleeding into the microphone. I noticed the recorded click (I mean the click bleed from the headphones to the mic) was sounding BEFORE the real click!!

So, I inserted a time-adjuster in the audio track and started putting time until the recorded click until they sounded exactly at the same time. The result: 5020 samples.

I started playing with the I/O sample buffer. No resulting change with that. I'm using the low-latency-monitoring feature to record the track.

So, I don't get it. I noticed in the past delayed tracks, because of the plgings and so. But This is the first time I notice a track is actually sounding before it was supposed to sound.

Both tracks, the recorded one and the click one, are going straight to Monitors. No plugins.

Has anyone seen this before?

My system:

Windows 7 64 Bit
ProTools 8.0.4
Complete Production Tool Kit
Digi 002 Rack
Motherboard: Supermicro X8DA6+
2 Processors: Intel Xeon Six Core X5650 2.66 Ghz 12mb L3 cache (12 cores, 24 threads total)
Ram: 4 modules 4 GB each (16 GB total) Kingston DDR3 ECC registered gold 1333 MHz
Boot disk: SSDNow Kingston SNVP325-S2/64GB
Media disks: 2 Western Digital Velociraptor 600 GB 32 MB cache 10K RPM SATA3
Video: nVidia GeForce GT220 1 GB GDDR3 PCIe

Thanks in advance for any comments on this!

Francisco

EDIT: For anyone looking for the solution to this issue, look at http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=284353

However, that's a fix on version 8. Anyone should be on Pro Tools 10 or later to also enjoy Automatic Delay Compensation, which makes recording in Pro Tools a completely different experience.

Last edited by Zarabozo; 06-02-2018 at 02:57 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:43 PM

Default Re: ProTools placing sound EARLY??

Is the click pre-recorded on a track or playing live from PT?

And congrat's on the great computer setup.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 08-13-2010, 07:19 PM

okay I made a thread about this a week or so ago. I am experiencing the same thing. in the middle of recording a full length. while recording guitars to click with drums. the guitar sounds on time etc while recording but during playback it sounds early and off time. when I select 1/32 samples and nudge the guitar track over one notch it sounds perfect in time. I don't get it? I had to go through 12 songs and fix multiple parts just now realizing whats going on. its weird and is making recording more difficult than it should. its like they improve some features and make others worse when they were fine. anybody have any ideas? what about digi? sorry I mean avid?
Memory Bus Speed : 2x 670MHz (1.34GHz)
western digital black (1TB, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, NCQ, 32MB Cache) : 932GB (C:)
western digital black (1TB, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, NCQ, 32MB Cache) : 932GB (D:)
Memorex DVD+-RAM 550L v1 (SATA150, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache) : N/A (G:)
Windows 7 Ultimate 6.01.7600 x64
gateway 24inch hdmi dvi HD monitor
pro tools LE 8.0.4
Old 08-13-2010, 07:22 PM

sorry. all settings are normal. click is from pt le. its just really weird and time consuming during a session to go over it and fix.
Memory Bus Speed : 2x 670MHz (1.34GHz)
western digital black (1TB, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, NCQ, 32MB Cache) : 932GB (C:)
western digital black (1TB, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, NCQ, 32MB Cache) : 932GB (D:)
Memorex DVD+-RAM 550L v1 (SATA150, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache) : N/A (G:)
Windows 7 Ultimate 6.01.7600 x64
gateway 24inch hdmi dvi HD monitor
pro tools LE 8.0.4
Old 08-13-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Is the click pre-recorded on a track or playing live from PT?
The click was playing live from protools. The recording was a simple microphone recording my voice, and, while recording it, it also recorded a little bleed of that click from my headphones.

Once finished recording (about 60 seconds only), I noticed the recorded track was sounding BEFORE the actual live click. The little bleed from my headphones with the click sounds about 5,000 samples before than the live real click.

Quote:
And congrat's on the great computer setup.
Thanks!
Old 08-13-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerhal View Post
sorry. all settings are normal. click is from pt le. its just really weird and time consuming during a session to go over it and fix.
Well, for me it's solved by just inserting a Long Time Adjuster plugin in the track. But, I'm really freaked out with that; Is ProTools just assuming that my latency is a lot bigger than it really is (maybe because of my powerful pc?) and placing the recorded track 5000 samples earlier than it was actually recorded? I mean... come on!
Old 08-13-2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarabozo View Post
Well, for me it's solved by just inserting a Long Time Adjuster plugin in the track. But, I'm really freaked out with that; Is ProTools just assuming that my latency is a lot bigger than it really is (maybe because of my powerful pc?) and placing the recorded track 5000 samples earlier than it was actually recorded? I mean... come on!
post a sandra, there may be something thats incompatible. And always use Run As Admin.

To enable other users to help you, please include all of your system details when posting an issue to the DUC; Pro Tools hardware,
Pro Tools software version, CPU, OS version, Motherboard make/model, chipset, amount of RAM, type of hard drives used, etc.

- Please - Use SiSoftware's Sandra Lite application to generate a full system profile:

CLICK HERE---->Sandra Report<----CLICK HERE

Under SiSoftware Sandra, click on "Download & Buy" to download the free Sandra Lite version or purchase other versions.
After installing Sandra, click on the 'Hardware' tab and run the 'Computer Overview', then copy and paste into your post here on the
DUC.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 08-14-2010, 12:17 AM

I've just been doing some research as well, and was just about to post my findings to a new thread when i found this thread.

So.. it seems that recording on W7, PT 8.0.4, without Low Latency Monitoring on, it places the sound EARLY after the take is done. A huge problem obviously. I'd been suspicious for a few days of doing drums, but today while doing acoustic guitars i REALLY noticed it. I nudged it back about 20 ms and it seemed to be ok. This is with buffers at both 64 and 128. Also, when playing the waveform LOOKS ahead of time.

So, i went to low latency monitoring and there seems to be no problem at all. It still LOOKS like it's going in early by the view of the waveforms, but as soon as you hit stop it places the files in the right place.

Obviously this is a pretty huge issue for me, and negates finally having a system that can run with buffers at 64 and 128.

Any thoughts? Digi?

MC
Old 08-14-2010, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarabozo View Post
is this the first session with your new rig or the first one to give you this problem?

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 08-14-2010, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Carpenter View Post
I've just been doing some research as well, and was just about to post my findings to a new thread when i found this thread.

So.. it seems that recording on W7, PT 8.0.4, without Low Latency Monitoring on, it places the sound EARLY after the take is done. A huge problem obviously. I'd been suspicious for a few days of doing drums, but today while doing acoustic guitars i REALLY noticed it. I nudged it back about 20 ms and it seemed to be ok. This is with buffers at both 64 and 128. Also, when playing the waveform LOOKS ahead of time.

So, i went to low latency monitoring and there seems to be no problem at all. It still LOOKS like it's going in early by the view of the waveforms, but as soon as you hit stop it places the files in the right place.

Obviously this is a pretty huge issue for me, and negates finally having a system that can run with buffers at 64 and 128.

Any thoughts? Digi?

MC
so are you talkin' a visual thing only?? or the audio sounds early too? i'm not seein' this with my 002, 8.0.4 and W7 x64

EDIT: tracked a new test session with 8.0.4 public release and i'm seein' it too. gonna roll back to 8.0.4 beta and test drivers there again.

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff