Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 02-07-2018, 08:37 AM

Default Need some help for a presentation

I'm going to be doing a presentation on modern audio recording for a college class. Obviously I can't pack up my entire studio rig and take it to the class. So, I was thinking I might use PT First just to give an overview demonstration on how digital recording with a DAW is done these days. So, I have a few questions, since I've not used First (I have PT 12.8 in my studio).

1. The tech specs say it hasn't been tested on Win-7. My laptop is Win-7. Will First still work for purposes of just booting it up and showing how VI's work, and calling up some plugins to explain how they work and all that? I might import some audio tracks from another session as well, just to show how things are done. Will First work for that?

2. I really don't want to unhook my current audio interface from my studio rig (Focusrite Scarlett 8i6) since that would be a pain...Plus I'd have to install drivers and all that happiness on my laptop just for one lecture. Could I use ASIO4ALL with First and just run the audio out through the laptop's stereo audio out port?

3. I know First only comes with Xpand2 as a VI. I also have all the AIR VI's. Could I install some of them (ie, Transfuser, Boom, Hybrid, Vacuum Pro) on my laptop as well and use in First for the demo? Or would I need to worry about iLok and all that. What if I just use the same AIR plugs that come with PT (ie Vacuum, Boom, DB33, etc). Can I install the creative collection on my laptop if I already have them on my studio rig?

4. I only have on hard drive on my laptop (SSD drive), but I have over 50gig space on it. Since I won't actually be creating any sessions, will this be an issue?

I have a small portable MIDI keyboard controller I'll use (actually is an old Yamaha "Keytar"), which I know will work for playing anything.

Anyway, if anyone could offer some suggestions, help, answers, insights...I'd be very grateful!

Cordially

Donald M

Old 02-07-2018, 01:34 PM

Default Re: Need some help for a presentation

I run two Win 7 laptops that I have set up with 2018 native and First coinstalled(since 12.5). Windows Wasapi works just fine as an audio engine so I have never bothered with asio4all. I normally use either 2i2 or an old mbox mobilepre with a powered usb hub and their asio drivers for recording without an Ilok which I rarely do. I don't think First will let you use any plugns that you don't purchase through Avid so pretty much no third party stuff. If I am going to need that stuff then I have to drag my Ilok with me and use PT Native instead of first, but I do use First without any other hardware to do basic mixes with just headphones and all the Avid plugs. I will have to check but if I remember correctly First comes with Xpand2, Boom and Structure free and some loops. I don't think you'll have any problem doing what you plan as a presentation, though there will be some limitations. You do have to dig into the sound control panel advanced preferences and change some settings usually, not a deal breaker or complex. 50 Gig should be plenty but you might grab a couple of thumb drives just in case, 32 gig thumb drives are going for about 10 bucks at the local computer outlet store. Note: First requires an internet connection. It is cloud based. You can save from full system as Projects to cloud and open in First where ever you are but it wont boot without a web connection.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:08 AM

Default Re: Need some help for a presentation

Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk