Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2018, 12:42 PM

Default Pro Tools HD 12.8 rearranged an entire project

Hello everyone, I'm wondering if anyone has had this strange issue with a Pro Tools session becoming corrupted and unusable.

I'm mixing a film in Pro Tools 12.8 and did a select unused audio clips and removed them from my session. I got the usual message that some clips were in a playlist/undo cue/ etc... which normally in my situation means they are in the undo cue. After executing this command, I notice a 2 clips of background ambience in the scene i'm working are now unlinked. I import session data from an hour earlier session backup to pull those tracks, have it relink the media and receive an error "Could not complete your request because out_of_range: Cmn_PolyVectorImpl::At."

I figured I would just try again and my system became very slow. I quit and reopened my session and more than half of the clips in my session are gone or have moved. Mono Dialog is now on stereo music tracks, music is mostly gone. Clips are either not there or have moved vertically up or down tracks in my session. Now, here is where it gets more strange, The previous 10 session backups are all this way! Luckily everything from the day before seems alright, but all of today's work is gone.

I've tried trashing all the preferences and databases with PT Prefs. Trying to import session data into a blank session leads to the same error. Luckily i only lost 1 day of work, but its quite scary to feel the system is so fragile.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:54 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools HD 12.8 rearranged an entire project

More system info would be useful - does sound like something got badly corrupted. System info, external drive info, etc might help to understand this.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 04-13-2018, 06:02 PM

I should have posted that info originally. This happened on a macbook pro 2013 16gb ram running Pro Tools 12.8 on El Capitan 10.11.6. Session at this point was moved from to an internal drive. This system is part of a mobile setup that has been in service for a couple years. I had recently updated to 12.8. Since then, I went back to 12.7.1 as It has been most stable for me. The mobile setup wasn't updated since 12.7.1 as it worked quite well, but the other computers had been updating to work better with the cloud collaboration.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactivesound View Post
I got the usual message that some clips were in a playlist/undo cue/ etc... which normally in my situation means they are in the undo cue. After executing this command,
I've had similar issues sometimes when doing this. I'm not sure what happens with Pro Tools' file management, but for whatever reason, files can get moved. or it thinks the file is another one and uses it - I don't know. Sometimes files get put in the trash bin that you didn't mean to delete. It doesn't happen very often, thankfully, and I'm sure I'm at least partly to blame when it does, but since I'm constantly backing up sessions , I'm usually ok.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 04-14-2018, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactivesound View Post
I should have posted that info originally. This happened on a macbook pro 2013 16gb ram running Pro Tools 12.8 on El Capitan 10.11.6. Session at this point was moved from to an internal drive. This system is part of a mobile setup that has been in service for a couple years. I had recently updated to 12.8. Since then, I went back to 12.7.1 as It has been most stable for me. The mobile setup wasn't updated since 12.7.1 as it worked quite well, but the other computers had been updating to work better with the cloud collaboration.
El Crapitan is widely revered as the worst OSX Apple has ever put out. You may want to look into either going to Sierra or High Sierra.

QAPLA!