Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2002, 09:10 PM

Default Tinnitus -- How do you deal?

Reading the hearing test post, I found the mention of Tinnitus (ringing in ears) to be strangely timely for me.

I've been diagnosed with the mild ringing type (thank got not the whooshing type) for over a year. My 'hearing' is perfect according to doctors, its just that I have ringing on top of that.

I had special ear plugs made so that I could prevent more damage to my ears, as I've been in the same hardcore band since I was 15 (i'm 23 now.)

But over the past 3 weeks, the ringing has gotten louder. Its very unsettling, and I think the result of overexposure to loud band practices (even with the plugs) and the 4th of July fireworks (m-80's i was told were being lit near my tent while i slept).

At the moment, the Tinnitus has not subsided for the past 3 weeks, back to the level it was before. If it were to get any louder, i dont think i'd be able to sleep properly at night.

So I'm taking an indefinate leave of absence from the band to give my ears a chance to settle (3 months), and it looks like its probably costing me my position in the band (bass). thats another story.

My question to you all who might suffer the same as I do, is how do you deal with a loud mixing or tracking environment?

I've had to leave the room in studios where the engineer insisted on blaring the monitors in order to properly mix. Personally, i mix at a moderate to low volume, and only jack it up to high levels for a coulple of seconds here and there if I must.

I've found that a good trick in mixing is to put the volume at barely audible level...it helps me to EQ and mix volumes far better than the extreme opposite.

Do you think its necessary to pump it in order to get a good mix?

Anyway, do any of you wear custom plugs when you track or mix bands? I'd be interested to hear your stories/techniques/experiences.

Leaving the live music arena at age 23 is a bit depresssing for me, but I'd rather be able to hear great music for the rest of my life, than play it for only another couple of years.

Sean.
Old 07-25-2002, 09:15 PM

Default Re: Tinnitus -- How do you deal?

Sorry to hear about that Sean, it must be so hard for you. Get better soon buddy. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-25-2002, 09:22 PM

Hi Sean,

although I haven't been officially diagnosed with Tinitus, I know I have it and I don't need a doctor to remind me. In a similar case to yours, I don't feel it has affected my hearing overall, but that ring is increasingly consistent. Interetingly enough, when I sit at my desk and turn on the PC (which is to my right and recessed towards the back wall), I get a ringing in my right ear caused from the fans from within the PC (strange but true).

This is before anything else is powered up, just those fans and a certain frequency they hit while spinning have made my problem worse. I know that eventually I'll have to get some quieter ones or simply sell the desktop and go mobile when 002 comes out.

Near-field monitoring is also a factor and you're absolutely correct about mixing at low volumes. It's much better for your ears, it's much better for an accurate mix, which will make it that much better when you listen back to it at louder volume with a cold one.

pk
Old 07-25-2002, 09:37 PM

mix at lower levels, if you want to turn up for short periods to "test" it, then keep it short. dont wear plugs while mixing. do where plugs while playing in the band. if you do this, you should be able to keep the ringing from getting worse. i am goin on about 10 years of tinitus, seems like i have a d@amn alarm clock going off in my skull every waking moment!
Old 07-25-2002, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pk_hat:
Interetingly enough, when I sit at my desk and turn on the PC (which is to my right and recessed towards the back wall), I get a ringing in my right ear caused from the fans from within the PC (strange but true).
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I have something similar except i'm not sure if it's my computer fan or my Linksys DSL router that's making it happen.

I've been playing in stageband for the last 2-3 years and it's definately making my tenitis worse. I had to get some custom molded Etymotic Earplugs this year to protect my ears from the drummer (i'm a bassist so I'm always right beside the drums.) The ER plugs are pretty good cuz they don't muffle and they're comfortable since they're custom molded, but they're so expensive ($120 US). Not only do i get an hours's dose of loud drums every day from stageband but also in symphonic band and at church too.

Now when ever I play for stageband, i always have my plugs on. I also use my plugs when i go to rock concerts. It's insane how loud they can be. It's a little harder with symphonic band because of the big dynamic differences, some times it's too soft for using ear plugs but then there are always some section that needs a big crash cymbal and it just drives me nuts.

There was a big symphonic band performance a couple months ago where I had to sit right in front of the drum set. It was interesting cuz there was kind of a surround sound feeling when ever the drummer did a big fill going left to right on the toms but i don't think i would wanna do that again.
Old 07-25-2002, 10:19 PM

I come from a family of musicians. Music has been basically the life of my family rather far back. That being the case, I have always been thought to protect my ears. I have earplugs in my ears, or “aviator headphones” I got at a gun range on what seems like 20% of the time. And I ride a big loud motorcycle as my usual form of transport. No ringing here.

I thought I had a slight ringing in my ear at work (office environment) but, one day during the blackouts, the servers and lights and everything shut off. Suddenly there was silence. It was like being taken over the falls on a wave and being forced down, then the long wait, and finally your head breaks the surface and you can breath.

I did ride without plugs one day for several hours. My ears rang for days after and I got very depressed. Now I am religious about it.
Old 07-25-2002, 10:46 PM

If your tinnitus acts up take 3 Gingko Biloba 60mg a day for a few days. That should knock a good portion of it out, though it can't really be cured.

I can't take it for long because it makes me a little uh, edgy. But I can use it for a couple of days without turning into Mr Spock.

It doesn't work for some people but I am really affected by it. It gives me an enhanced sense of perception. I used to take it when I programmed CGI in PERL. It really helps you focus.

You should get a bottle of it and try it. It is said to improve circulation and brain activity. It has a side effect of temporarily curing tinnitus.
just to toot my own horn, I am in the process of relocating to Los Angeles and lookign for a job, so if anybody knows someone who can help me get established as an audio engineer and producer, check out my creds at http://www.kenyruyter.com and call me 310-909-9115

myspace page
http://www.kenyruyter.com
Old 07-25-2002, 11:47 PM

I got rid of mine with a combination of 3 things:

-Lowered blood pressure,(forgot to add quit smoking.)
-Reduced stress, both environmental and emotional,
-Lower monitoring volume in headphones. (room monitors, too, but the 'phones were my downfall)

I thought it was going to be forever but I licked it. It took about a year.
Old 07-26-2002, 12:37 AM

Ginko Biloba is dangerous,and should NOT be taken. Get your medical facts right before you give out medical advice.Don't believe me,find out the FACTS and not someone's belief.
Old 07-26-2002, 12:51 AM

Rock n roll man!
just to toot my own horn, I am in the process of relocating to Los Angeles and lookign for a job, so if anybody knows someone who can help me get established as an audio engineer and producer, check out my creds at http://www.kenyruyter.com and call me 310-909-9115

myspace page
http://www.kenyruyter.com