Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2003, 12:23 AM

Default OT AmpliTube ??????

Ok. I've heard some pretty heavy testimonials here on the DUC about amplitude.

I still think that the best way to record any electric guitar is with real all-tube amps, a great guitar, and a couple of good mics...
When I don't have time or space to do that, I turn to my Mesa Recto Recording Pre and my Pod, and I can't get over how great that sound is.

But now I'm interested in this AmpliTube that I've been hearing about. What is it, who makes it, and can any one give some examples of their sound using it?

I can't imagine how it could possibly be better that what I'm using now, but then again I used to think that I'd never give up my Tascam R to R 1/2 inch 8 track [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-03-2003, 04:21 AM

Default Re: OT AmpliTube ??????

Totally agree with your philosophy. Anyways, there's a free demo of AmpliTube on the IK website, www.amplitube.com . Somehow, a lot of users on this site like AmpliTube. I bought it for the portability and automation aspect, and it has some decent presets that sounds good on a headphone, but I never found anything that sounds nearly as good as a cranked tube amp. Having said that, it is common that a good sounding live amp doesn't cut better in a mix than a POD or AmpliTube. Try it out and see for yourself. Unlike the POD, there is not yet a big library of presets, but it's very intuitive, at least as far as stompbozes go.
3X 500GB 7,200 SATA DRIVES
OSX 10.5.7
PTLE 8.0cs3
Old 06-03-2003, 10:53 AM

finalcut: Hey go here and check this out. www.amplitube.com then over to the left click on Latest Presets. Here you can check out presets I created and recorded at my studio. Nothing but AT was used in the guitar tone/efx. AT comes with 200 presets plus more on the website.

Just like anything else, you need to tweak to find your perfect tone.
Old 06-03-2003, 03:41 PM

Very nice sounds. I'm amazed. I think that it as great as the Pod XT.
Old 06-04-2003, 07:17 AM

I've been thinking about picking up Amplitube for convenience sake. I've listened to most of the presets on their site. From what I hear it does sound very much like the Line 6 stuff. It has that modeled sound. If you're particular about your crunch you won't like it. I don't think I'd mistake it for a mic'd tube amp/cab combo. But, you may not need or want that. I also can't say how the cleaner tones compare because that's really not my area. And who knows once you stack up a bunch of tracks you may be able to get pretty close. I think I'd enjoy having it in my arsenal but when push comes to shuv I'd have our guitar player drag his Diezel in here -- now we're talking crunch!
Old 06-04-2003, 04:41 PM

Hey fial cut, go here and click on the dfh at the bottom of the page. I used amplitube for that and at my website on the audio page....the bands Thallium and Hate wont stop hate used amplitube on their songs. It's metal music, so there's no clean sounds...but lots of Crunch if your into that. Hey ik jason e-mailed ya awhile back [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-04-2003, 07:03 PM

Thanks Gorrila for the links! Very cool.
Old 06-04-2003, 11:12 PM

Just my 2 cents-

I got Amplitube as part of the bundle with the 002... had some trouble installing it and got several prompt, polite, and very helpful emails from Jason.

I must say that I really like the tones of Amplitube. I have PodXT as well, and I'm just having a hard time making it fit into the mix.

The only thing I wish is that I could record my guitar part with Amplitube on, and then easily process the non-effected WAV so I can run more instances of Amplitube. I have a pretty fast system (2.6 Gigahertz) but 12+ tracks of Amplitube just aint happening... still a lot more flexible than the Pod tho. You can still edit your tones down the line. Gotta love that!!!

daede7
Old 06-05-2003, 02:22 AM

While personally i use my Marshall JCM2000 TSL 100watt all tube amp and a pair of AKG C414's for the most part when recording elecrtric guitar, not everyone has access to such gear.

Amplituble is a great program for people who dont have big tube amps, or have them, but cant crank them up after a certain time. Its sounds really good, and i'd use it over a crappy amp/mic set up everytime.

BTW to me all POD's are terrible and tinny sounding. The only 2 digital hardware modelers/preamps that i think are any good are the Boss GT6 and the Roland VG88. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]