Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2005, 03:09 PM

Default Re: PTLE 7... another unsatisfied customer!

The funny thing is. I wanted to upgrade to PTLE7. As far as recording and mixing I love it. BUT for creating I'm using Digital Perfromer.

I'm still not happy that Focusrite made a better Mbox2 than Digi.

Digi really needs to start thinking outside the box. PT became the leading DAW because Digi was innovative. Now its just the DAW that everybody uses.

Wiz
Old 10-09-2005, 03:12 PM

Quote:
if LE would be 64 or unlimited I'd drop my TDM!!!
My guess: Digi probably knows this. That is exactly why LE is "limited".
Apogee Rosetta 200/ UA LA-610
Genelec 8030A/7050b
McDSP, Waves, Sony, URS, Spectrasonics, BFD, Altiverb
Old 10-09-2005, 04:06 PM

When I "chose" PT LE as my DAW, I did so in no small part because Digidesign was a leader & innovator. I assumed {and maybe incorrectly) it would remain so with future upgrades. Now it looks like thay're playing catch up, hence my disappointment.

ScottedogStudios on ReverbNation
Old 10-09-2005, 11:32 PM

Quote:
When I "chose" PT LE as my DAW, I did so in no small part because Digidesign was a leader & innovator. I assumed {and maybe incorrectly) it would remain so with future upgrades. Now it looks like thay're playing catch up, hence my disappointment.
I can't believe their marketing strategies. How could they not take the hint from the way the industry around them is going, let alone their own customers on their message boards!! They NEEDED something big with the release of ProTools 7, but unfortunately they are still clinging to their old ways and dying just like the oldschool huge-budget studio mentality. Digidesign is like a proud captain, going down with the sinking ship.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:59 PM

Quote:
I can't believe their marketing strategies. How could they not take the hint from the way the industry around them is going, let alone their own customers on their message boards!!
I think you are all being a little over optimistic about a) The size of this group b) Your power to influence. Do the math, the combined threads of 'Digi do what we say’ don't even run into the hundreds, when you take into account the reposting and replying on these subjects. Then you need to factor in that many Digi user do not even use the DUC, they run into the tens of thousands so the percentage is not great for the 'Digi do what we want gang'. Moreover in any given situation there are about 5% of people who love an organisation, 5% who hate it or want change and the rest are just satisfied. Finally who do you think Bush or Blair listen to? The people with the banners and placards that demonstrate outside the gates of the Whitehouse or Downing Street, or the people close to them who have their ear?

Am I saying shut up, lie down and die and take everything life throws at you? No, but I am saying that perhaps we need to appreciate the reality of the situation and the effect these kinds of post have, or don't have as the case may be.

Quote:
They NEEDED something big with the release of ProTools 7, but unfortunately they are still clinging to their old ways and dying just like the oldschool huge-budget studio mentality. Digidesign is like a proud captain, going down with the sinking ship.
Mmmmm sinking ship... Already part of Avid, now own M-Audio, Wizoo and I'm sure acquisitions will continue for this 'sinking ship', …somehow I don't think so!

If you really want to make a difference then go buy some shares in the company, that means you can attend their board meetings and speak at them, a much more effective way of trying to bring about change. One small problem with that is that it will take a little more effort than sitting in front of a PC typing into the forum and I suspect that on this point this will really demonstrate how passionate people really are about these things.

However it does raise a point which I raised in a recent post, how do we effectively communicate with Digi some of our concerns? Perhaps the need for a user representation group of perhaps 50 from around the world who Digi could invite in once a year to listen to our concerns and be accountable to us for our questions? Mad perhaps but a thread asking Digi to consider this may birng about the change needed.

One final tip as someone who is in leadership, one surefire way of getting ignored is to say things like 'do it or we will go/buy something else!' Threats are never a positive way to change things.

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:39 AM

Quote:
One final tip as someone who is in leadership, one surefire way of getting ignored is to say things like 'do it or we will go/buy something else!' Threats are never a positive way to change things.
The only way that Digidesign will incorporate features like increased track count in LE, is if they believe that it is affecting sales.

There is only one way to vote for these features - use your dollars.

G5 Dual 1.8 /1.5 Gb Ram
OSX 10.4.7
PT LE 7.3 cs1
DIGI 002
Waves Ren
Sony Bundle
Soundtoys-arama
NI Komplete 3
Old 10-10-2005, 01:58 AM

People not happy with LE might find it helpful to understand some very simple marketing concepts. Then you might not feel so "violated" by not getting more from your "less than HD" set-up.

Did I mention it is about marketing?

1.Marketing is not a bad thing. Every company in the world has to carefully research what they offer compared to others. It is a tricky business. Make mistakes here and your company can fold pretty quickly.

2. Whether you like it or not, Digi is the current leader in the industry by far. They offer products aimed at three different tiers of consumer.
a.Inroductory - beginners/hobbyists (M-Audio and M-Box)
b. Intermediate - home and project studios (002r)
c. Professional - HD line. They know exactly what they need to offer in each category to satisfy most users and be competitive with other companies.

3.Because Digi is at the top of the heap, they are in as much danger of competing with themselves as other products. It is really a very simple concept. Give too much away in an 002(r), and the HD sales are going to go down the toilet.

4. Other companies must offer "more for less" to try and eat into the Digidesign user base. (hence the too familiar 'But companies x y and z offer this" complaint you hear over and over and over and over and over.....)

5. Digi is NOT (as some like to think) a Mega-conglomerate, flush with cash from all of money it is overcharging for its products. This industry is ever changing, requires huge R&D, and is extremely competitive. They are on top now, but we know and they know that as computers get faster and faster, more can be offered. Their position at the top could change, though it would probably take 3 - 5 years even if Digi started making HUGE blunders today. (which they clearly have not based on users)

6. If you were the president of Digi, you would have done the same thing, or at least you should have. It is a great model, it works, and they have been able to be competitive AND the industry leader for very long time.

So to you who say "C'mon Digi. I have been a faithful user for 3 years. Can't you at least throw me a bone here and change your marketing paradigm. I'm your bud! I deserve this! Everyone else is offering this!!"

It is all about marketing and trying to stay ahead of a rat race while pleasing MOST customers.

Those of you not satisfied, YOU knew what you were buying when you bought LE!!!! Nothing has changed. You still have what you bought so use it, buy HD, or switch to Cubase. It is your right!!

Paul
2xMacPro 2.66,002r,OSX 10.4.10,PT 7.4cs8
3xVisionDaw,NI Komplete,Yamaha 01V/96
Old 10-10-2005, 03:55 AM

As I've said so many times HD is not about track count it's about quality, if anyone really thinks Digi sat there and said to themsleves let's make a product exactly the same apart from one thing 'track count' and then added several thousand dollars/pounds (real money) to the price then you must be dreaming.

As many of us have said if you don't like the way PTLE is going then please do what you keep threatening and go buy another software package. Then you can go and fill up endless pages in the Cubase/Logic forum going on about the things you don't like about that!

Dubai and the others are right and I agree, either live with what it is or prove to us you're not making empty threats and give the rest of us a break!

Anyone got something inspiring to talk about or any techincal issues we may be able to solve?

BTW I hate the fact that there are only 7 days in a week, that really pisses me off, let's start a 14 day week petition.

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:28 AM

i guess a lot of people like me want to give digi money - because we like their products on the whole.

- It would be nice if they could sell us a bone- and make a real PT intermediate sofware option- like the DV tool kit.

business is threatened by a new generation of laptop kids that are usin cracked copies of cubase / nuendo - not worth risking US$10k on when comparatively similiar results may be achieved with much less outlay and efficiency hence.

I voted with my dollars- I am still running 6.4 on an mbox - as I have purchased DP , Live and reason as well as a tascam FW1884 - clients generally notice the flying faders - they have no idea what PT system I am using - they never ask...

6.4 is great for pre-mix and editing in stereo - would be nice if it could handle surround- would remove some obstacles to my business model - but these obstacles aren't surmountable - just less conveneient - but NOT US$10k's worth.

more tracks blah seem a reasonable request as it seems like LE is artificially hobbled...

the closest thing the marketing people have done to tempting me is the upgrade plus option - 2 plug in's - glad I skipped the paid upgrade to 6.9 hehe! Now have time to consider the upgrade..

still not sure it's worth it for me to invest more cash in an option that's still not quite right and 6.4 still does all I want it to - maybe if 7.4 might get me off the fence if it did more voices ..

Aint holding my breath tho -
Old 10-10-2005, 04:36 AM

I personally feel P.T has always been one of the best audio editors, that is why i love it for post quick and easy to get a basic job done but with alot of power if needed.
Now they seem to be looking also at the composers on there software, personaly alot of users i know get into this industry because of music then move on to post when they get real jobs.

I use P.T for music and recording bands, i run a 002/R in my project studio and when i need more i pick-up the phone and book one of the many HD studios that offer great rates, with better booths, mics etc. Now i've saved aload by getting my productions done at home then record voice, drums etc. at the studio. Yes i had to pay for studio time but hey even if LE had the features i required eg. more tracks etc. i still get a much better recording at a proffesional studio and due to the enviroment the sessions musos seem to perform there best as they must now step-up to the challenge of being tracked in a proffesional enviroment. It is also my choice to record them at my project studio, but then i would need to fork out cash for exspensive mic's, valve pre's, out board Fx etc. anyway if i wanted a proffesional production. Not even a HD system in my project studio will help as i love tone, colour what evey you wanna call it and you can't get that from software even if lE had 48 tracks etc.

In audio it's simple you pay for what you get. No way some cheap Mic pre can sound just as good as a high end valve mic pre. unless all the top end studio engineers are deaf and have more money than brains, why will they spend thousands more to get a better recording tone etc.

A studio enviroment is alot more complex and takes a bit more than just a piece of software to get a great sound or music arrangement.