Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2011, 12:37 PM

Default Re: UAD 2 Quad and GA-EX58-EXTREME

akhafaji

The GIGABYTE motherboard spec states "(Note 3) The PCIEX8_1 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX16_2 slot. When PCIEX8_1 is populated with a PCI Express graphics card, the PCIEX16_2 slot will operate at up to x8 mode. "

Since, I believe, you have your HD Native card seated in PCIEX16_2 (the blue slot right next to the video card) I think seating the UAD-2 card in the PCIEX8_1 slot (the long orange one) might be ill advised as it would be sharing bandwidth with your Natve card. So yes, move your UAD-2 card to the PCIEX1_1 slot (the short white one) and give that a try.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterFace View Post
For optimum performance, install the Pro Tools|HD Native card in a 4x or higher PCIe card slot in your computer”.

So it appears that for “optimum performance “ my suggestion of seating the HD Native Card in a PCIe x4 was not “a load of bullsh*t” after all and in fact quite correct.
For optimum performance seat Native card in 4x or higher. That is, if you have an available PCIe x16 slot use it for optimum performance but if not x4 still works. We already had that conversion with the original poster asking about Native card placement next to the graphics card on another thread of his. There is a lot of misinformation out there and you advising to seat the Native card in x4 without even reading the manual just adds to it. If you've got a free PCIe x16 slot use it for optimum performance.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
akhafaji

The GIGABYTE motherboard spec states "(Note 3) The PCIEX8_1 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX16_2 slot. When PCIEX8_1 is populated with a PCI Express graphics card, the PCIEX16_2 slot will operate at up to x8 mode. "

Since, I believe, you have your HD Native card seated in PCIEX16_2 (the blue slot right next to the video card) I think seating the UAD-2 card in the PCIEX8_1 slot (the long orange one) might be ill advised as it would be sharing bandwidth with your Natve card. So yes, move your UAD-2 card to the PCIEX1_1 slot (the short white one) and give that a try.
the PCIEX1_1 slot (the short white one) is used , please see the link
http://www.gigabyte.com/fileupload/p.../2957/1046.jpg
http://www.gigabyte.com/fileupload/p.../2957/1049.jpg
I am not sure if this part in PCIEX1_1 slot is mandatory (I think it’s related to the cooling system with the motherboard, can I remove it?)

if I can't remove this part , can I use the long white slots?

GA-EX58-EXTREME - Link:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=2957#sp

Thx
Old 10-15-2011, 02:40 PM

akhafaji, seat the UAD-2 PCIe card in PCIe x8 slot 1. The orange slot at the end. Screen Capture

Note 3 only applies when there is a graphics card seated in PCIe x8 slot.

(Note 3) The PCIEX8_1 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX16_2 slot. When PCIEX8_1 is populated with a PCI Express graphics card, the PCIEX16_2 slot will operate at up to x8 mode.

So you should have PCIe x16 slot 1 (blue) Graphics card, PCIe x16 slot 2 (blue) Native card and PCIe x8 slot 1 (orange) UAD-2 card.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:15 PM

akhafaji

it was my understanding that the UAD-2 card was already seated in the PCIEX8-1 slot (the long orange one) and that there was a problem or did I miss something? If that is the case you could try seating your UAD-2 card in the PCIEX4_1 slot (the short orange one).

I would leave the radiator seated in PCIEX1_1 where it is. Do not remove it.

The long white slots are PCI slots. I wouldn’t recommend seating a PCIe card into one of those.

I think the PCIEX4_1 slot is the only option left so hopefully that works.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
akhafaji, seat the UAD-2 PCIe card in PCIe x8 slot 1. The orange slot at the end. Screen Capture

Note 3 only applies when there is a graphics card seated in PCIe x8 slot.

(Note 3) The PCIEX8_1 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX16_2 slot. When PCIEX8_1 is populated with a PCI Express graphics card, the PCIEX16_2 slot will operate at up to x8 mode.

So you should have PCIe x16 slot 1 (blue) Graphics card, PCIe x16 slot 2 (blue) Native card and PCIe x8 slot 1 (orange) UAD-2 card.
Thank you filosofem,
I did that but the issue still the same.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
akhafaji

it was my understanding that the UAD-2 card was already seated in the PCIEX8-1 slot (the long orange one) and that there was a problem or did I miss something? If that is the case you could try seating your UAD-2 card in the PCIEX4_1 slot (the short orange one).

I would leave the radiator seated in PCIEX1_1 where it is. Do not remove it.

The long white slots are PCI slots. I wouldn’t recommend seating a PCIe card into one of those.

I think the PCIEX4_1 slot is the only option left so hopefully that works.
Thank you ButterFace
you are correct UAD-2 card was already seated in the PCIEX8-1 slot (the long orange one)

the issue that the radiator blocking the way so I don't have space for the UAD 2 to be in PCIEX4_1 slot.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:57 PM

akhafaji, are playback errors -909x present after removing UAD card?
Old 10-15-2011, 03:59 PM

That radiator looks very cool but it is also very greedy by taking up two PCIe slots. What exactly is its purpose? I've only ever seen rigs like that in gaming computers. It's all a matter of priorities of course but it may have to go to make room for the UAD-2 card.

Why not temporarily remove the radiator and then seat the UAD-2 card to see if it solves your Pro Tools problem. If it does then you'll have to decide whether you want to keep the radiator or use the UAD-2 card.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:49 PM

I've just had a second look at the pictures and temporarily removing that radiator might not be be so easy. It is also potentially dangerous as it may cause overheating issues we don't know about. I'll let you be the judge but you may want to consider other alternatives first.

filosofem had an excellent question, do you get the same errors after removing UAD card?"