Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2018, 10:16 AM

Default Odd crash in 12.5

I'm working on a song that hangs Pro Tools and requires a force quit any time I rewind to "0" and then hit play or record.
As there's a 2 bar count in I don't need to do that (except I constantly forget) and all is well if I just start from a marker on the second bar. Odd thing is there isn't anything on the first two bars, the click has been deleted and all the files start after.

Any guess what could cause this? The processor bars spike and the beachball of death appears and locks up protools. Finder is still fine.

12.5, Mac OS 10.11.6 2012 mini 2.5 Intel 5

Marc
Old 03-30-2018, 08:30 PM

Default Re: Odd crash in 12.5

Hold the SHIFT key while opening the session. This will make all plugins inactive(you won't lose settings). If this makes the session run without crashing, then you know its a plugin(trial and error will pin it down further).

If that doesn't help, are there hidden or inactive tracks in the session? If so, highlight all the tracks you NEED and go File>Export and export selected tracks as new session. Then open that new version and test.

Another possible fix: create a new blank session at a different sample rate(IOW, if the original session is 44.1K, make the new one 48K or vice versa). Then import session data from the original session and let Pro Tools apply SRC. This action can sometimes fix a corrupted audio file
Let us know your results

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-31-2018, 06:53 AM

Default Re: Odd crash in 12.5

Thanks for the reply Dave. I ran some more tests and it worked even starting from the 2nd sample, just not zero.
Of the dozens of files only 4 started from zero so I cropped those back and voila, full function again starting from zero. I'll do some more testing to find which one is the culprit and then merge it shorter or rerecord it through a bus, whatever to be rid of it.
Thanks for the suggestions.
marc