Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2010, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Can anyone figure this out? $50 gift if you can! Most bizarre issue EVER for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D. View Post
Could be a G5 CPU overheat issue.

Jeff D.
thanks for the suggestion but this was my first idea when it was happening on occasion only. Before I had realized it was just PT causing it, I assumed it was an overheating issue, so I did get the temperature apps, etc. And all was fine. Also, at my studio, there is an A/C tube that blows cold air at the back of my Mac, drives, and power amps.
Also, if its an over-heating issue, the system log would say " PMU forced shutdown DUE TO overheating " or something like that, and the error code is different than -122.
Lastly, I monitored the heat with on of those apps for a few days and it was WELL below the norm. The cold air constantly blowing into my Mac keeps it cooler than it even needs to be. :)

Thanks for the suggestions but, no check coming your way. :)

MT
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•
Old 05-25-2010, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Can anyone figure this out? $50 gift if you can! Most bizarre issue EVER for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Did you try resetting the open firmware and SMU? If not, try those.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1436

http://www.macgeekery.com/hacks/hard...irmware_tricks
I tried these as well, early on when I had no idea where the issue was isolated to. Even resetting the PMU. No luck there.

Still shuts down if AMS is not open.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt.Everest View Post
I tried these as well, early on when I had no idea where the issue was isolated to. Even resetting the PMU. No luck there.

Still shuts down if AMS is not open.
"Although Mac OS X 10.4.10 and 10.4.11 have not been tested or qualified by Avid, the only known issue at this time has to do with Pro Tools failure to launch in some cases due to improper prebinding.
Reports suggest that Mac OS X 10.4.11 may contain fixes for some of the Mbox 2 USB interface problems such as kernel panics on newer Intel-based Macs.
If your computer came with Mac OS X 10.4.9 or 10.4.10 preinstalled, or you have updated other Apple software such as QuickTime, you may experience failure of Pro Tools or other applications to launch (for instance, if the Pro Tools icon bounces in the dock). In many cases, downloading and running the Mac OS X Prebinding Script from PACE may resolve the issues described above: http://www.paceap.com/prebind_script.dmg"
Old 05-25-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFish View Post
Do a fresh OS X Install on ANOTHER DRIVE

Don't wipe your Whole system just yet...

Get ANOTHER HD, install OS X and proTools - see if it runs ok on that installation.

I keep an Bootable external drive with a Blank, Fresh OS X Installation to troubleshoot from, Handy at all times for this reason... and it's never any fin when I HAVE to use it.

Try everybody's stuff, and the new stuff I mentioned that may not have been mentioned above - Start pulling Ram, Accell cards, disconnecting Midi i/o - run with JUST a Core Card, and if you're getting nowhere - do a new installation on another drive.

Keep us posted. Good luck!
Yeah I think this is going to be my next step. I dont have the time yet to go thru a total new install, so Im going to spend late night, post-session hours to install OS X on an external drive to boot from and go from there.

I tried the RAM thing but that didnt help either. I would much rather see if a software re-install helps it, so this way I dont have to go pulling cards just yet, which is a total PITA and eats up so much time to do, since my Mac is tucked away in a corner and there isnt much room to work.

This is soo frustrating! The work around is fine, but its killin me to NOT know what Im missing in this. Id love if one of the Avid programmers could tell me whats going on at that point where PT is " Setting Up Midi " and how it relates to AMS. And why having it open allows PTs to load perfectly fine but not having it open doesnt.

And WHY on earth, is it SHUTTING OFF THE MAC? If it was qutting, OK. If it was SWOD, OK. If it was a screen freeze, OK. If it was a black curtain of death, OK. ANY form of crash would make me feel better!

But for this ONE app, at this ONE stage of its load process to FORCE SHUT DOWN the Mac is so utterly bizarre and dumbfounding! Im still spending alot of time thinking what would cause that, at a core level. Crashes I would understand. Conflicts I would understand. But to have the PMU FORCED SHUTDOWN -122 thing is driving me nuts!

Ok well Ill keep updating, for those following the thread.

Thank you SO much for all the help thus far guys!

MT
Old 05-25-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1m1 View Post
"Although Mac OS X 10.4.10 and 10.4.11 have not been tested or qualified by Avid, the only known issue at this time has to do with Pro Tools failure to launch in some cases due to improper prebinding.
Reports suggest that Mac OS X 10.4.11 may contain fixes for some of the Mbox 2 USB interface problems such as kernel panics on newer Intel-based Macs.
If your computer came with Mac OS X 10.4.9 or 10.4.10 preinstalled, or you have updated other Apple software such as QuickTime, you may experience failure of Pro Tools or other applications to launch (for instance, if the Pro Tools icon bounces in the dock). In many cases, downloading and running the Mac OS X Prebinding Script from PACE may resolve the issues described above: http://www.paceap.com/prebind_script.dmg"
I read this too. But I don't think it pertains to me since Im not getting the endless dock bouncing, or a quit right after launch. Its a shut down. And the fact that having AMS open makes it go away, its seems like its not really a pre-binding thing.

Also, I was running without problems for a long time. It only started to happen when I added some new software, (PT and non PT related) and did a thorough check of my plugins and made some changes to best reflect the versions that are compatible with PT 7.4. I had moved into a new studio space and did lots of " tune ups " over a month or so. (Turned out to be tune-DOWNS tho, ha) I just wish I remembered precisely when I started having this problem and what I had installed. And why it happened here and there for a while then progressively got worse until the point of starting this thread where it would happen EVERY TIME I tried to load PT.

I hate to say it, but Ill probably never figure it out, and Ill probably have to just bite the bullet and wipe my drive and start from scratch. Which is a scary 2-3 day minimum ordeal to get EVERYTHING back to how it is now, as far as my non audio apps, disk authorizations, prefs, etc etc. It makes me cringe but Ill be better off in the end, HOPEFULLY.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:03 PM

Memorial Day Weekend is coming. You have one extra day. Best of luck to you. Clone your crappy drive, just in case you need to revert back quickly. I had an Avid Media Composer take a crap and I have to start that from scratch. Tiger on a G5... with old versions of Quicktime. But at least I don't have sessions.

Sharing your pain. Have a great weekend.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:00 AM

I had a similar issue with my dual 2.3 G5. Switching the processor performance setting in energy saver fro Automatic to Reduced eliminated the shut downs and hasn't had any effect on audio performance.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:57 AM
Avid

My take on what's happening is either OS related or hardware related. I'm leaning toward OS issues.

What I'm guessing is happening is that Pro Tools is trying to 'hook' into the Core MIDI Services (for which AMS is the GUI) and, due to some kind of low-level corruption, it's having a cascading failure effect, resulting in the shut-down.

You could try posting your system crash logs for me to look at - I may be able to dig something out of them but, really, the clean OS install to a new drive is the best plan of action, as it will narrow down considerably where the fault may be.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:18 PM

Have you tried deleting the AMS preferences also? "com.apple.audio.AudioMIDISetup.plist" under user/library/preferences
Old 05-26-2010, 12:45 PM

This may be a bit far fetched but you mentioned a tube carrying cold air to the computer. Could it be too cold and causing condensation? I know that Hard Drives and most electronics are designed to run at a certain temp and though you may think that colder is better it may not be and it may take a period of time to become stable at the correct temp.