Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2009, 01:21 PM

Question Re: Best Desktops for PTLE

Hi,
I want to have new PC with Intel® Core™ i7-965 processor Extreme Edition, Asus Rampage II Extreme X58 Motherboard and OCZ ram 6G and 3 Hard Drives 500,500,1000 GB WD and I have
nvidia (SLI,DDR3) , I dont know if those parts nice compatable.
is there any recommendation about my choice ....
is there any recommended case.

Thanks
Old 10-11-2009, 10:47 PM

Default Re: Best Desktops for PTLE

This build is brand new and works with ProTools LE 7.3.1. Custom, fast and multifunctional (it can run PC video gaems Use Newegg to search:

MOBO: Asus P5Q Deluxe CPU: INTEL Q8400; Mbox2, M-Audio Axiom 49, Microphones; Protools LE v7.3.1, Windows XP 32-bit; ~Triforce

My 2 cents is Install ProTools first thing after you install the OS (WinXP)!!! No installing motherboard drivers, just ProTools!

@akhafaji Case is Antec P182: http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16811129025

_▲
▲▲
Old 11-07-2009, 07:27 AM

I'm running a Digi001 on an old dying P4 3.0GHz PC with WinXP, PTLE version 5.3.1. The 001 was purchased new back in the day, I love it, I love 5.3.1, I have no intention of upgrading the 001 or 5.3.1 as they do exactly what I need them to do extremely well. Yes, this is a dinosaur. It has never been online, just set up and used as an isolated stand alone system.

The PC is just about dead, I have no interest in building a new PC from components. Is there a current off the shelf system that I can slap the 001 card into with minimum fuss? Price isn't an issue, I just want no hassles and a functioning system on a new PC...
Old 11-11-2009, 02:50 PM

Hey guys, I just posted a thread about a quad core build I am doing. Would appreciate the advice!!!

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=259050

Thanks
Old 12-01-2009, 12:59 PM

Can anyone recommend the following setup for basic band tracking into PT8? I'm not a big virtual instrument guy, maybe Strike and a few synth VI's.

Thanks for any input.

Intel 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo
Chipset: Intel Q45 & ICH10
L2 Cache: 2MB
FSB: 1333 MHz
System Hard Drive: 160GB SATA II 7200RPM 16MB
Audio Hard Drive: 250GB SATA II 7200RPM 16MB
Memory: 2GB DDR2 800MHz Dual Channel
Power Supply: 380 Watt
IEEE 1394a Firewire: 2 Texas Instruments IEEE1394a
Old 12-07-2009, 02:23 PM

Thumbs down Re: Best Desktops for PTLE

Has anyone been to Best Buy Or Walmart this week? All they sell now are Windows 7 64 bit machines. The Walmart sales person said all XP and Vista computers have been recalled. Avid/Digidesign clearly states Pro Tools LE is not compatible with any 64 bit Windows operating systems. So if you already have a LE interface and running XP or Vista, your OK, untill your XP/Vista machine dies.
How can Avid/Digidesign still continue to sell 003,002 or Mboxes when you cannot even buy a new Windows computer that will run Pro Tools???? Avid/Digidesign wont even respond to emails on this problem.
I personally don't care for Pro Tools except for the fact I can get the latency low enough to use it as a live processor, 2 tracks.
I would look at Cakewalk Sonar or Steinberg Nuendo, as I have never seen a Pc that wont run them.
Just a warning for people looking at getting into Pro Tools LE and a Windows computer.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Hays View Post
Has anyone been to Best Buy Or Walmart this week? All they sell now are Windows 7 64 bit machines. The Walmart sales person said all XP and Vista computers have been recalled. Avid/Digidesign clearly states Pro Tools LE is not compatible with any 64 bit Windows operating systems. So if you already have a LE interface and running XP or Vista, your OK, untill your XP/Vista machine dies.
How can Avid/Digidesign still continue to sell 003,002 or Mboxes when you cannot even buy a new Windows computer that will run Pro Tools???? Avid/Digidesign wont even respond to emails on this problem.
I personally don't care for Pro Tools except for the fact I can get the latency low enough to use it as a live processor, 2 tracks.
I would look at Cakewalk Sonar or Steinberg Nuendo, as I have never seen a Pc that wont run them.
Just a warning for people looking at getting into Pro Tools LE and a Windows computer.
Just another reason to build your own and load up the OS you want(XP is still a solid performer until Digi has an update for Win7).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-07-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Just another reason to build your own and load up the OS you want(XP is still a solid performer until Digi has an update for Win7).
Yes, but he does have a point. Commercially it makes no sense.

If the purpose all along was to make customers build their own computers, why did they choose to support Windows instead of a stable Linux distro?

The whole purpose of supporting Windows, for a company like Digidesign, is wider support - to run in a larger amount of machines from scratch, since Windows is widely used by most people who don't own a Mac. Right? Then what's the point of only running on legacy Windows that is not even sold anymore? Very few people are left using XP at this point.

Even I was an XP user, and switched to Mac months ago.

At this point, Digidesign seems to support XP only for people who can build a PC and use Windows XP, but have no money to buy a Mac. What kind of people do that? I can only think of gamers... Does Digidesign even do any market studies, or they just release whatever comes to mind?
Mac Pro Quad 2.66, 20 GB RAM;
Audio/MIDI Hardware:
RME Fireface UC, M-Audio Keystation 88es + Akai LPK25 (USB);
Old 12-22-2009, 07:13 AM

Location: About 10 miles outside of Portland, OR in Camas, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonFreeman View Post
Yes, but he does have a point. Commercially it makes no sense.

If the purpose all along was to make customers build their own computers, why did they choose to support Windows instead of a stable Linux distro?

The whole purpose of supporting Windows, for a company like Digidesign, is wider support - to run in a larger amount of machines from scratch, since Windows is widely used by most people who don't own a Mac. Right? Then what's the point of only running on legacy Windows that is not even sold anymore? Very few people are left using XP at this point.

Even I was an XP user, and switched to Mac months ago.

At this point, Digidesign seems to support XP only for people who can build a PC and use Windows XP, but have no money to buy a Mac. What kind of people do that? I can only think of gamers... Does Digidesign even do any market studies, or they just release whatever comes to mind?
I bought a copy of Windows XP Pro SP3 last year at Fry's for $112. I have a Digi 001 and PT 6.4 LE. I paid $150 for it. There's a place close by in Portland, Oregon called "Free Geek". They sell all the computer stuff that other people throw away, for extremely cheap. P4 and AMD M-Boards for 30 or so bucks with 3.2G processors and the like. They're beginning to receive Duo and Quad-core stuff. I just bought a WD 7200 RPM 80G HD, made in '06 for $15; they've got stacks of them there. The system I put together works extremely well. I don't have the money to even participate in this Chronological Snoberry. Avid, Intel, American Micro Devices, Microsoft, Apple Computers, and the rest of them do not care about you, only your wallet and your willingness to buy what they must sell to justify their existence with; and I'm all for that. But thank you all for making it possible for a broke, otherwise disabled singer/songwriter to have my own little slice of heaven, my little bedroom studio you would all likely laugh at. I mean it. Thank you.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:32 PM

604 pages. And the first page was updated on 2-6-07. Can anyone point me to a good reliable desktop system for running 003R with PTLE 8? My system is pretty old and would like to upgrade, but am not a computer geek so making it simple is great for me.

Thanks for any direction.